General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 17s
Overall Rank = 255/785
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 6/14
Pre-race routine:

After coming home from volunteering at sprint yesterday, worked on legs/hips with Trigger Point roller and ball with some relief. Slept well, only up once. An hours drive to Galveston, ate a bagel, drank a Boost and a large cup of French Roast on the way. Arrived 6:10a, set up. Bike rack last row away from bike start but close to swim finish and run start.
Event warmup:

50+ group men/women and relays in 9th and last wave!! Wave starts 4 min apart. I waited to last minute before transition closed to put on wet suit and the 5 minute walk along the bay to swim start.Almost missed the Star Spangled Banner. No warm-up worried about oyster shell bottom that had cut the feet of a few swimmers in sprint yesterday.
Swim
  • 23m 43s
  • 956 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

My tried and true goggles decided to fog up and leak within first 200 meters. I could not see buoys so just tried to hang with someone. I stopped 5-6 times trying to adjust them but not happening. I know I was all over the place and just happy to get it done. Wet suit strippers were awesome.
What would you do differently?:

Goggles worked great on an earlier week swim. I put anti-fog on them the night before.Go figure.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Long run with bike to start.Stayed steady with new cleas as I had not run this far with them on. I wasn't sure how much slippage there might be.
May consider having bike shoes on bike but this will take a lot of practice.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 27m 26s
  • 28 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

My heart rate was 160 at start; needed to calm down and ride comfortably hard not knowing how legs were going to be for the run. Kept HR 145-150. Being in last wave, I passed a lot of folks hoping not to acquire a draft penalty. The bike felt really good, stayed in aero for 15-20 min then stood for 20-25 pedal strokes. Drank 1 1/2 bottles gatorade and a gel. No GI issues.

Nothing. Steady pacing and cadence was my main concern, not knowing how hard to go I was very happy with bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

No issues in T-2.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 02m 9s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I left the Garmin on bike so it was a run by RPE. Started slow and immediately felt tightness in both hips/femur area. As I increased pace the discomfort became a dull pain so it was a matter of tolerating it to aid stations walking through them and pushing on. I dissociated most of run, thanking volunteers, talking with other runners, and when I did focus it was on my breathing effort which became my pacing guide.One gel with caffeine handout at mile 3. No GI issues. The announcer called your name, age and hometown as you approached the finisher's chute. I had enough left to smile at end knowing I gave it my best effort.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

My first triathlon medal and plenty of refreshments; pizza washed down with a couple Ultras and ice cream for dessert.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hip/femur pain.

Event comments:

The first time for this venue but well organized event. Will defnitely return.

Last updated: 2009-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:43 | 956 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 0/785
Performance: Bad
Suit: Quinatana Roo
Course: We walked to mid way point of pier, scaled down ladder to water. Swam to the start buoys for gun. One of my age groupers had no wet suit, no goggles stating he tried every goggle on market but all leaked. I thought well it didn't let it keep him from racing, way to go. Rectangle course with buoys on left.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:26 | 28 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/14
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Infamous seawall winds were not as bad as yesterday's sprint. Head wind last couple miles back to transition. Down and back course, right lane coned off for about half way then we used shoulder. Little congestion at turnaround since we had to cross highway for return half. Police did an outstanding job here. An aid station with gatorade and gels but didn't need it. I'm sure HIM group was glad to have it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:09 | 06.5 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/14
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop course through and around Moody Gardens. The sun came out just as I started run and stayed out making it very humid and warm. Aid stations were great with water, gatorade and gels. Also had cold sponges and last one provided cold/wet towels to provide some relief.Plenty of spectators, singers, deejays and volunteers on course providing entertainment and much needed encouragement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 10:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2009-04-06 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2064734

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

Congratulations on your first tri!!!  Great job Wayne, considering your recent run issues you had an awesome race. 

Take some well deserved rest!

2009-04-07 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2064734

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter
Great job Wayne.  Nice race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed