General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 35s
Overall Rank = 11/785
Age Group = Elites
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:50 am, 10 minutes before my alarm. Got some food in me, got ready, checked out the weather and some other things. Then headed out to Jim and Mels place to hitch a ride.
Event warmup:

10min jog in the parking lot.
Swim
  • 14m 56s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Only thing that really went good was the swim for me today. It went just like I had planned out. Took it out hard for the first 200, which was a pretty rough start. I got hit in the head 3 times swam over a couple of times. Didn't mess me up but was rougher than normal. Maybe more jogging for position in the elite wave? After 200 I grabbed one the navy guys feet for a good chunk of the 700 straight section. It was a good swim. The only problem was that the guy behind me, whoever the hell he was, deserved to be killed. I had my feet slapped for 900yards of a 1056yard swim. I mean it was ankle high slapping every 4-5 strokes. I was very close to stopping in the water and putting an elbow on his/her head.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this went well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Crud.. I gave up 25s here. Passed up my bike by 20m. Then my wetsuit got caught on my pedals when I was grabbing it to take off and scattered all my stuff. So I shoved it all back in my general area and finally got going. Lost some needed time here.

Not sure how I missed my bike. It's blue with a disc and 100 front.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 5s
  • 28 miles
  • 23.63 mile/hr
Comments:

So it's a straight and flat course. The wind, though not bad, didn't really help as much as I hoped. We had a bit more headwind than tailwind.. still not bad. Either way my cycling legs weren't there. It was a struggle to hold a decent pace. Was able to leap frog(all legal!) with a couple navy guys till one dropped me and the other, then 2 miles later I dropped the other guy. Then I slowly reeled in another guy up ahead over the next.. 8 miles? ;p I just caught the guy before the turn around, then turned around and saw 4 people right behind me. I was like.. uh.. I hope they weren't drafting!

It was about half a mile later when Mr. William Ritter comes up and gives a cocky nod, as if saying.. here I am what are you going to do about it? What am I going to do? Well first I'm going to think, you're not supposed to catch me till half way through the run.. What the hell is going on! The reality of the situation was that I'm already working too hard and can't do much! So I let him go a little bit. Once he approached 20-30s lead I couldn't take it anymore and lifted my pace more. So for the next 5-8 miles or so I kept him and his friend who was enjoying drafting off him very much at about 20-25s. Then Will pulled over with a flat. Too bad, with my bike leg he would of beat me handily and was on to a great race him self. He ended up finishing but the flat tagged on 10-12min onto his race, roughly. After that I rode the last 5-6 miles in and got off the bike a bit ticked off, and worried about the effort I put on the bike.

Given how it was going, I didn't do anything wrong. I just wasn't going. Though I think I may of been riding at a fairly low PSI on my rear tire, since when I got into Transition at about noon it was down to 10psi and then at 3 when we loaded the bikes up it was completely flat. Normally the tire stays above 100psi for a couple days.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Bit slow, no where near as bad as t1. another 5-10s could of been saved though.

be quicker
Run
  • 40m 35s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 06m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried my effort on the bike was too much and would effect my run a bit. It was, and it did. First mile was good, with a 5:52 mile. At around 1.5 miles my quads started to get tight, ready to cramp. So I had to back off and hit mile 2 in 12:11. Basically the next 4 miles went like that. I would get the cramps under control hit a good mile then have to take a slow mile. Finally caught someone who was infront of me with a mile to go to move up to 11th.

the last half mile into the finish was lined with people and they all had cowbells and were cheering. It was awesome and it was always my fastest part of the run on both loops! Apparently when I finished I gave a shake of the head, because my Mom and Sister had watched me finished from the live feed on the internet and sent me text saying not to be too dissapointed! Not a good race, not a bad race either. Just wonder if my bad bike as due to a leaking tire, or if it was just the legs. I'm leaning towards the legs.

Run harder. Was alone for pretty much all of the run. The guy infront of me was a 1 minute ahead most of the run but really died at mile5 and came back to me real quickly.
Post race
Warm down:

10 minute Jog with Mr. Ritter. Felt much better after that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure why my bike legs weren't there today. Either they just didn't show up or I was losing air in my bike tire and didn't know it. That's the only thing that really went wrong in the race. I had to go too hard to hold a slow pace, which made my run a bit slow because I worked too much on the bike.

Event comments:

Races don't get much better than this. This is the most competitive, best put on race in our Area so it's a no brainer to do.

Last updated: 2009-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:56 | 1056 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 30/785
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Wet Suit
Course: Out 150-200m, left turn straight for 700 then turn left again for the swim finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:05 | 28 miles | 23.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 16/785
Wind: Some
Course: Basically we go 1.5ish miles to get to the beach then it's a out and back. Straight and flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:35 | 06.5 miles | 06m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/18
Overall: 18/785
Course: Two loop course with lots of turns. :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-06 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2009-04-06 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2064937

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter
It seems you pushed a tad harder on the bike stikk you had a solid race. You have to work on that swim though
Congrats!
2009-04-06 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Nice swim even with all the bumping.  I seem to remember that we were about even on the swim at CapTex last year, but you're way faster now!  Great progress!

Brian 
2009-04-06 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2065034

User image

Master
Houston, TX
JorgeM - 2009-04-06 8:29 AM

It seems you pushed a tad harder on the bike stikk you had a solid race. You have to work on that swim though
Congrats!

Working on it! Improved pretty good over the winter though! I'll be in the 13s next time.
2009-04-06 9:03 PM

User image

Expert

Awesome job out there even if you different have those cycling legs, times look solid and fast though.  good way to start the tri season

2009-04-06 9:15 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Way to stay solid even despite the bike tire probably being low...I look forward to hearing about the Triritter/Smilford rematch where everything clicks for both you and one of you has to trip the other on the run in order to win!   Solid start to the year--it only gets better from here!

2009-04-07 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Even with your body not really working with you, you had a great start to the year... I didn't realize you were such a great swimmer.. nice job there and your run times looked good even with you pushing the bike

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed