General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying my first road bike and need advice.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-06 9:24 AM

New user
Subject: Buying my first road bike and need advice....
My first bike is a trek 7.2 FX and I have decided I need to get a road bike if I want to do an Olyimpic Distance.  I have checked my local bike shops and have narrowed it down to 3 models.

Trek 2.3
Specialized Allez Sport
Canondale CAAD9 5

Currently I am leaning towards the Trek because although it is more expensive it seems have the most quality out of that group.  I wish I could ride all 3 and figure out which one I like best but I need a size 62 and none of my local shops carry that size in their standard inventory.  Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2009-04-07 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2065169

User image

New user

Vero Beach
Subject: RE: Buying my first road bike and need advice....
Well, here's the kicker. They're all about the same. I have friends that are riding the Allez Sport and have modified them slightly for less money than the others. They are very happy with their decision to take a base-line bike and "upgrade it". Until you get into the carbon components on the bike, they are mostly the same accross the board. You are obviously going to want the most bang for your "buck" and I would say: Check the Components. (the frame sets are basically the same)

Good derailers in progression___ Shimano 105, Shimano Ultegra, Shimano DuraAce

Carbon forks?
Carbon seat posts?

Just remember that you will want to get some water bottles and cages, aero bars, small gear bag( tire inflator, spare tube, and changing tools inside)

I hope this helps.

I always look for last years model as it is usually a little cheaper so they can clear out stock from inventory.

2009-04-15 2:19 PM

fayetteville
I've heard that almost all frames come out of the same mft plant so like the above said, they are practically the same so buy the one that fits you best and has the best components. Ask the shop to fit you on the bike.
2009-04-15 5:14 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
In this case: The framesets are very different. True enough that in many cases they are, but here, they're not.

I'll be a dissenter here: You buy a bike based on the FRAME and not the components. The frame is what gives you ride qualities, handling, stiffness, performance. The components can and should be adjusted to work flawlessly. Yes, Dura Ace will perfrom better than Sora, but still, whatever components come on the bike won't make it ride better. 105 level is great stuff and will serve you well.

The Trek has a carbon fiber rear end as well as the fork. The Allez and C'dale are 100% Aluminum and won't give the shock dampening quality that the Trek will. The Trek is a better frame and, by my logic, a better bike.

Caveat about sizing: Trek measures differently. You might need a 64 in the Trek when a 62 or 60 in the others will fit. Look at this closely.

Caveat 2: Don't buy the biggest bike b/c you think you're tall and need that. Get a knowledgeable employee to "size" you and maybe pay for a fitting. You might be surprised that you don't need that big of a bike.

I'm 6'4" and ride a 58cm. My 60 was too big for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying my first road bike and need advice.... Rss Feed