The Park Foundation of Waukesha
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 27s
Overall Rank = 103/375
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/34
Pre-race routine:

Heh. Without realizing it Denise and I had made plans on Friday night (night before race) with another couple to celebrate a birthday. While Denise and I rarely drink, when we tie one on it is typically with this couple. Didn't really want to back out, so out on the town we went. I had a couple of early beers and then hit soda for the remainder of the night. Unfortunately, we didn't roll in until 2:00 AM! Not exactly prime pre-race behavior. Slept "eh" and got up at 7:00 to gather my shat and meet Bruce pre-race. Got to the site about an hour before kickoff.
Event warmup:

Met up with AmyJo, Craig, Clint, JoeRunner, jmwebs, sgoehner, lrunfit, and some peeps from the Princeton Club. Never known so many people at a race before! That was fun!

Debated shorts/tights/shorts/tights outloud for everyone to hear. Finally, FINALLY made peace with the decision to just go shorts. That was a good decision. Comfortable temps-wise. Did some strides and jogging in the parking lot to warm up.
Run
  • 1h 45m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Alright, I've run a TON the last year or so in an effort to become a better runner. Even given that, I've had enough blips in my training recently that had me unsure of how this would play out. BTer Schmize had done a taper plan for me that gave me good feelings. He also laid out an interesting race strategy, at least from a mental perspective to break up the monotony. He suggested breaking the race up into 5mi./5mi./5K segments. Control on the first 5, medium second 5, blast the 5K with everything. Solid plan, solid idea.

So, off we go. This run has a very fast start. Most years I'm stupid and end up way too fast the first couple of miles. This year, at mile 2 I was at 7:28. A bit too fast, but I was paying close attention to RPE, and I wasn't breathing hard. At all. Very simple. Wind was at our back, slightly downhill, etc. Still, wanted to execute the Schmize plan so dialed it down a bit and finished the first 5mi. seg at a 7:42 pace. Feeling fine. Second 5 kicks in and the trail goes into a false flat/slight uphill mode. I "thought" I kicked it up a notch pace-wise, but the data showed me holding steady at 7:42. Kept trying to inch my way faster by RPE, but nothing was showing up on my watch. At the turnaround (around 7.5-ish) I looked and saw how "uphill-ish" the trail had been, and that gave me some releif. Again tried to step it up a hair, and again saw minimal data result. Clint had a goal of 7:45 pace and not surprisingly he wasn't too far behind me. Through the 9-mile mark it was a blast hi-fiving everyone out there...they all looked AWESOME!!! The only blip was AmyJo and I both cocked our guns for a huge Hi-Five and whiffed completely!!!
At 9, I'm starting to feel the bourrrnn. I'm beginning to not care as much about WHAT THE F my pace is for this 5-mile segment. ;(. Hit the lap button at 10 and it's a respectable 7:45 or something. Still OK. Unfortunately, NO CHANCE I'm picking it up a notch here. I was fairly cooked. Around this point you exit the uber-boring trail. The first thing that comes up is a little bridge that goes up/down over a river. Well, the up was ok, but the DOWN hurt like hell and I almost started cramping. At that point, nuts, bolts, screws and springs all started flying all over the place. I was leaking oil, ran out of anti-freeze, and black smoke was sputtering out everywhere. Whatever metaphor you got, it applies here. Basically shuffled my way in. Clint was screaming at me as he came up behind to get moving, but I had zip. He passed me at about 11 looking strong and solid. GREAT JOB CLINT!!! Came in at 1:45. PR is 1:44 so nothing ridiculously bad, but was looking/hoping for the 1:40-ish.
What would you do differently?:

I think I got exactly what my training to date would predict, to be honest. I don't seem to have that "extra-race-gear" that everyone else does. Meaning, I either train at race-pace, or my body doesn't know how the f to move faster. In any event, I probably drank 16oz, and should have perhaps had more. At 9-ish I should have taken a gel. At the time, the thought of it sounded terrible, so I didn't. I should have forced it down...how much worse could it have gotten? I wonder if that would have made a significant difference.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched other BTers finish. Any disappointment I had with the race sorta melted away talking to others and also how I was feeling. I was freakin' SPENT. I know I gave the race all I had to give.

Can't say enough about the BT love out on the course. Firstnet911 and his kids, along with others were hootin' and hollerin'...even had a bullhorn. Freakin' fantastic! Thanks to all that participated in that. Nice pick-me-up out there! Awesome to finally meet talltridad post-race as well. He shouted my name out on the course and my o-2-deprived brain had no idea who the big guy was that knew my name!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All of the above.

Event comments:

This race is a great flat course. Kinda boring on the trail, but fun to see everyone after the turnaround. Minimalist in approach...not a ton of water stops and post-race food was gone. Food gone = BOOOO. Water stations somewhat understandable given the course is on a small trail without a ton of options to drag a table around. They should figure out more though, or just suggest everyone bring a bottle/fuel belt.

Last updated: 2009-02-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:27 | 13.1 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/375
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-06 9:44 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: Trailbreaker

2009-04-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2065228

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Trailbreaker

Great to finally meet you. That is one boring run for the most part and I think that hurt me mentally...

You were close to a PR but didn't get it, similar to me. The disappointment will wear off soon. Now, about Easter Sunday...

2009-04-06 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
My vote is that you train at race pace.  Great effort and great results!  Good to see you again.
2009-04-06 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Dude,

Nice race, even if it wasn't the result you were hoping for.  (I'll have to remember this come Saturday... )

2009-04-06 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Yes, good race.  Sounds like you learned a few things out there, which is really the goal.  I know you have it in you.  Its just bringing it out.  Keep on keepin' on. 
2009-04-06 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Nice race Dan. I'll post pictures later.

2009-04-07 12:17 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Awesome run Morey! Great job...OH and thanks for the... ummmmm... hi-five...
2009-04-07 4:13 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
A+ on that race report.  Great performance as well.  Glad to hear the jalopy has been rehabed.
2009-04-08 6:56 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
that was a good race!  You put it out there for sure.  You sound like me though.. when I gettired- I stop looking at my pace, dont care anymore,  just freakin do whatever i can to finish.
2009-04-09 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
M-cat, it's me who needs to be looking out for YOU, this season. That's impressive stuff. Congrats on a great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trailbreaker Rss Feed