Kansas City Track Club
35F / 2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 36m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to bed around midnite and surprisingly, felt really good that morning when i woke up. Had some scrambled eggs and cinnamon bread. Ryan and Patti seemed very nervous, Mason and I were just excited to get going and get the job done at this point. BTW, we were all running this solo. Big props to Deano for driving out and supporting us in some shitty conditions. Headed to downtown KC and got there 10 mins before the start of the race.
Event warmup:

Walk to the starting area, pretty much it.
Run
  • 7h 36m
  • 43.8 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

(No official times or anything at this point since results have not been posted yet. Time/distance all per my garmin.Will update later.)
All 4 of us that went up together stayed together for the first leg. Then we kinda paired off and ran our races. Mason and I run an almost identical pace during training runs so we planned to keep each other company the whole day as we weren't in any contention for winning anything anyways. The idea was to just to enjoy the day and survive the distance.
Miles 1-22 went by very fast and i was feeling great. We were maintaining between 8-8:30 min/miles from aid station to aid station. At the aid stations we would take our time, say hi to Dean , grab any nutrition/hydration then take off to the next one. There was a long climb around mile 22.5 or so that was kind of draining but i still felt ok. Then came a nice long downhill that let us recover some. During this time the weather had started to head south. The wind was picking up alot and it had started to rain pretty hard at this point. Checked my mary split at 26.2 just out of curiosity and we were at 4hr 15mins and i was still feeling good despite the crappy weather. Rain had switched over to a snow/ice mixture for a while then back to rain. Around mile 29 or so(can't remember) there was a boat you could ride to cross a small river. Very muddy but very cool, i liked this diversion from the run. Thanked the firefighters manning the boats and off to the next aid station. Had a slight hammy cramp thing but strethced it out, popped some more endurolytes(which i took all day long:)) and grabbed some chips. After that i did not have any more issues with my hamstring, or even cramping for that matter. Leg 9(mile 34) was a tough leg, wind was going pretty hard and it was nonstop up and down hills. Around mile 35/36 i started to really notice how fried my quads were becoming. Kinda bummed me out knowing i still had several miles left but i was determined to finish it, just started walking the uphills and running the downhills and any flats. That seemed to help my spirits some knowing i was going to walk the hills, lol. Leg 10(mile 38.5) was the worst leg by a long shot and it wasn't even because it was the last one. This leg ran on a levee with huge open fields around you and the wind was blowing so hard, 30 mph sustained winds with 40 mph gusts is what i was hearing after the race and i believe every bit of it. The first half mile we had a tailwind(awesome), then we turned slighly and had a sidewind for a short bit before we fully turned headon into the wind. Totally miserable. I was walking more than ever at this point. I was doing something like run 5mins walk 2mins. The wind was insane! Seeing that finish line was the greatest thing ever :) So happy to finish it.
What would you do differently?:

I would like to have trained more than 3 months for this and maybe did a couple of 30 mile runs during my training plan. Then, maybe I wouldn't have started feeling bad at mile 35. Having said that though, the run went down as expected, I knew the end would be difficult at my current running level.
Post race
Warm down:

Dean, the lifesaver, was waiting for us to finish, along with Ryan's parents. Went over to the Jeep and threw on a new top and jacket since I was freezing my butt off. Hung out at the finish line with the group, waiting for Patti and Ryan to finish. They kicked butt as usual and finished strong. So proud that they fought through the tough conditions to run 43 miles. Amazing.
Headed to the community center to clean up and soak in a hot shower for a bit. Then we headed to Liberty Hall for some gumbo, fruit and beer. Didn't really care for the gumbo personally.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain.Wind.Snow. The weather definatley didn't do us any favors and maybe a little more run training would have helped me finish strong.

Event comments:

The weather stunk but I have no complaints on this race. It was fun and I was able to do it with friends. Thanked as many volunteers as I could, their day was a tough one too.

Last updated: 2009-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
07:36:00 | 43.8 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Little bit of everything.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-06 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: Brew to Brew

2009-04-06 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2065637

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Brew to Brew
Wow. Sooooo impressive! You are a rock star!
I was out there, and ran 3 of the legs for my team. You are right Leg 9 is insane. So was the weather! OMG!

CONGRATS on an awesome run! WooO!!!
2009-04-07 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Great job, man!  Your next HIM will feel like a walk in the park compared to that.  Terrific race.

~B

2009-04-08 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

John!!! Congrats to you for enduring what sounds like ridiculously tough conditions, you are indeed a ROCKSTAR!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brew to Brew Rss Feed