Bikin' Mike
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 55m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, ate a normal breakfast - two egg and chicken burritos. Drove to Wal Mart to get safety pins and on to DART station on Parker. Rode train down town, rode from Ackard street station to City Hall. Arrived an hour before start. Literally "chilled out" until start.
Event warmup:

None other than commute
Bike
  • 1h 55m
  • 30 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first tour. I had a good time. I started much closer to the front than the back. It was nice that it was down hill to start, did well moving in out around all the bike traffic. It started to open up a little after about 3 miles. There were lots of beautiful houses down Swiss avenue. Started to get a calf cramp at about mile 12 (bad form). Focused on pedal technique for a little while and all was well.

Loop around White Rock was nice - it was my first time to ride there. Nice area. The short hill as we joined back with the twenty milers was a bit of a suprise, this area could have been organized better, as some of the rookies were stopping in the middle of the road. I couldn't quite get my gearing switched fast enough and ended up mashing a big gear up the hill.

Trip back to downtown was nice. I fell in with a small group that was hitting 20 to 22 mph for a mile or two until I ran in to a another little hill that dropped me off the back like a bad habit. (Apparently I need to do more hill repeats. That and lose some more lbs...) Tried to hit it hard to the finish from about the Crescent on it. Unfortunately I got stopped at several traffic lights. Uphill finish - it was anti-climatic crossing the finish line.

Hats off to Dallas' finest, the were generally very attentive and let you know about road hazards such as gravel and wet pavement.
What would you do differently?:

Work on hills. There are several around - attack them during weekly rides!
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a piece of pizza. Walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

Finish line was anti-climatic. There were some vendors around, but I liked the cheering crowds at tri's as you come down the home stretch much better. Overall, the post activities were a little disorganized and there was not a lot to do.

Last updated: 2009-04-05 12:00 AM
Biking
01:55:00 | 30 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Heart rate max was 171, average was 147
Wind: Some
Course: West of out downtown, back by City Hall down Swiss Avenue toward White Rock Lake. Once around and then back to City Hall via Turtle Creek area
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right