General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 19m 49s
Overall Rank = 10/41
Age Group = F0-99
Age Group Rank = 2/23
Pre-race routine:

Let me preface this RR in that I did NOT do the Half-Iron...I had a lower leg injury about two weeks prior and had to switch to AquaBike. SO very grateful they had the AquaBike Division.

I traveled down with two friends (Anne and Steve) from Ft. Hood. We got in on Friday night. Rene (Catwoman) stayed with myself and Anne, and Steve stayed with Gaarryy. Sat. morning we grabbed some breakfast and went and cheered on the LoneStar Sprinters. We then test rode our bikes to make sure all was working well, grabbed some lunch, then grabbed packets and went for a short practice swim. It was then out to dinner with a great group of BT'ers. The company was awesome, the food was good, but the service was TERRIBLE. Got back, got everything ready for the next day. You wouldn't think not having to run would mean less stuff, but it did. Didn't get to bed as early as I usually do, but slept "okay"--on and off, but not the usual go to the bathroom all night long. Rene got up early to head to the Quarter. Anne and I got up at 0545 and got everything ready to go. I ate my two muffins with PB&J and we headed on out to transition. We were at the Inn at the WaterPark so we just rode around the corner to transition. Didn't take long to get set up, used the porta potty a couple of times. Chatted with friends, and then made my way over to the swim start.
Event warmup:

The little ride to the transition area is about it. I had thought about swimming, but everyone was cutting their feet on oysters and I would've had to just wait wet for a long time after that because the Aquabike was the last wave.
Swim
  • 39m 23s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

My head wasn't in this. While I've been handling the injury fairly well, I think it sort of mentally broke me down. I was a little tired that morning and kept yawning, and once we got out there I just wasn't enthusiastic about race day. When the wave went off there was some decent contact and some fairly violent guys (Aquabike and Relay legs together), I sighted well, and it cleared out but seems like it took forever to get that first turn and then it was a sharp left. I had no one to draft off of at all. Just no one around at the same speed. After that first left turn we started catching up to the other waves--the first one being what would've been my AG wave, so I was dodging some pink caps then. I tried to keep right on the buoy line. I also tried to keep my stroke full. The saltwater wasn't bothering me much, but my energy wasn't as good as it should've been. It was also only the 3rd time (including the previous days swim) that had been able to swim in my long sleeve suit. I swam in a sleeveless last year. Had I been racing the HIM I probably would've gone with the sleeveless, but it became more of a training race so I went with the full. About 1/2 way through the swim I could feel my shoulders getting tired and I just wanted to be done. By that time I was having to weave through several of waves of slower swimmers--I think the only cap I didn't see was a gold cap from the very first wave. Once we made the final turn I really tried to do some good strong pulls, I swam all the way to the carpet, got out, and headed out to transition just glad to be done. I saw my time though and I wasn't happy. Maybe not surprised, but not happy. I am faster than that. I wasn't in it in my head or in energy and not sure why.
What would you do differently?:

Not get injured and be out of it mentally. Psych myself up mentally. Swim more in my long sleeve wetsuit. Swim more OWS.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Well, I was worried about this cause I didn't know how fast I'd be able to move and I took it kind of easy really. I came out of the water and started moving up the chute at a light jog, got my suit down to my waist, my cap and goggles off, pointed to one of the guy wetsuit strippers, flopped on the ground and he did the rest, grabbed the suit and jogged into transition, grabbed a sip of Gatorade on the way to get the salty taste out of my mouth. Actually took a little bit of time to get my shoes on and my helmet/glasses right and off I went. I had no pain, I was thrilled.

Umm, run faster--but that means being able to run. I looked at the AG transitions and mine was right up there, had I been running/competing, I would've been faster. So, overall pretty pleased.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to work it out hard for the first 3-5 miles and then settle in, I started off okay and was pushing 19-20mph. There was a decent headwind that turned into a crosswind. My hamstrings were pretty tight and just couldn't get loose, I had to stand up just a little a couple of times and come out of aero a couple of times to get loose. I couldn't tell if the wind was slowing me or if it was just I couldn't get going. With as flat as this was I should've been going faster. My hips were sore--not painful, just sore and I couldn't get comfortable on my seat. Mentally, still a little out of it. I switched into an easier gear a couple of times to spin the legs out a little, just couldn't seem to get out of the 19's. Then the 79 year old guy passed me...impressed the heck out of me, but seriously. I was still passing a lot of people, as I went, but when that happened, I wasn't going to let it stay, so I let him get comfortable, I got comfortable and took him back over and that was that. He even said he thought he dropped me a while back, haha, nope I was right behind him (legally of course). I don't remember when the first aid station was, but the bottle they handed me didn't have a sports top. WTH?? I have caps on my Podium Quest and thankfully unplugged the top one in time to get a little in and then had to chunk the bottle. I couldn't believe the stupid top was off. I was taking in my Infinit right on the right increments. I was at just about a 20mph avg at the 1 hour mark. Then near mile 20 something FINALLY clicked and that was it--from that point forward I was between 20-24mph. I finally had energy and the passing I was doing before just increased. My hips weren't hurting anymore, I got good bottles at the bottle hand ups (they tried to hand me a top off, but I said NOT THAT ONE, and pointed to one another guy was holding that had the top on), made it through mini loop, and once I got going on the way back for the last time I kept telling myself I didn't have to have anything left. I think we got a little bit of a tailwind. I did have a couple of folks not remember that on-your-left means I'm coming up on your left, and I had to yell it twice cause they about pushed me into cones. I just kept pushing away and was having fun. As we turned into Moody Gardens some folks were slowing down but I just kept driving through. Saw Erin, Chad, and Jenny cheering me on and that was great. I did take my shoes off (good practice) and I didn't want to have to unclip to get off--I would've had to slow down in the chute anyhow because there were several folks there...one guy that was dismounting at the same time I was tried to take me down, but I saw it coming and kept out of his way and got across the timing mat and was DONE!

I needed to get going sooner--20 miles is too long to warm up. Maybe I needed some nutrition a little sooner than I took it? I do DESPERATELY need a new saddle as mine was definitely hitting some nerves, literally. I get fit for a new one on the 10th and hopefully that helps. It was fun to hammer, but I really think I may have still felt too good when I finished. My hip adductors were sore, but I had a decent amount of energy. I did do well with my nutrition and hydration. I am happy with the time and speed, but do think I could go faster, especially if I can click before 20 miles.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Haha, I turned in my chip, got my medal, my towel, and my water bottle and relaxed as I watched everyone else head out on the run. It was kind of strange.

Be able to go run :)
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I cheered people on in the run--it was nice not to do 4 loops though and still feel like I got a good workout in!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked over, got some water, talked to Stephen, and then got my calf and piriformis worked on at the massage tent. They were great. I then went and then cheered on lots of folks doing the run, got some food, and cheered some more and got sunburned...then it was award times and I placed 2nd, got my nice award, got some free goggles and my friend Anne scored FREE Mavic Race Wheels!! SWEET!
The lady that beat me out for 1st in the Women's Aquabike beat me in a few races last year as well (Lonestar and Longhorn at least), and I was thrilled when I looked at the entrant list for the HIM (before I was hurt) and saw she aged up to 30-34. Well, apparently she got hurt too and switched the AquaBike! Go figure!! Anyhow, I shook her hand and told her that, and she was kind. So good job Kathy, now stay in your age group (hopefully we both can run next time!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm, the inability to run. It was still a good day, a great weekend with great people, and I was lacking some mental aspects at the beginning of the day. Not wearing a long sleeve suit may have helped too--or just swim in it more. Need to get used to that more.

Event comments:

I do like the Endorfun Sports events. Always set up great. I love having the racks numbered, they take care of you on the exit out of the water with carpeting in and out of the water. The food is good, the band is good, the announcing is awesome, the shirts, hat, towel, and water bottle are great. The AquaBike division was great for me cause I could still race. The awards and give aways were great. The only notes I have are that they should've run the Half before the Quarter as we have longer out there, and we were all over the run course for the 1/4 cause it goes through the swim start area. Also, leave the caps on the water bottles! Otherwise, well done.

Last updated: 2008-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:23 | 1931 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 16/41
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot Zenith
Course: Down ladders, swim out to a deep water start, trapezoid in the Offat Bayou.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:38:03 | 56 miles | 21.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 8/41
Performance: Good
I thought my Garmin captured more, but apparently not. Must fix that. AHR 158 MHR 177
Wind: Strong
Course: Course was a 1.5 loop out on the seawall towards San Luis Pass. Once you hit a spot a little near 1/2 way you went out for a mini-loop and then made your way back out. Almost totally flat with a couple of small overpass inclines.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/41
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-06 8:49 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2009-04-07 12:18 AM
in reply to: #2066978

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
You are just amazing!!! A very solid swim even though you weren't feeling it and were packed in, and sssssssssmokin' bike split--2:38??? That's crazy, girl, and injured too!

Super Aquabike, and hey, it's a PR!!!
2009-04-07 6:43 AM

You drank Gatorade to get the salty taste out of your mouth?  How could you even write that without the sarc font?

ETA:  it doesn't detract from an otherwise great race/race report!

Edited by dave699 2009-04-07 6:49 AM
2009-04-07 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
No more being a weenie!

2009-04-07 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Good race! Now it's time to heal up and get healthy for the next one(s).
2009-04-07 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I am so glad you were able to race. As hard as it was to sit out the HIM, you got some great training and racing practice that day!

2nd is awesome. Well done!

2009-04-07 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Great training day - with an award, no less!    Good job toughing it out.  That's still a pretty speedy swim and a smokin fast bike.  I hear you on the mental thing, though - it's tough to really push yourself when you're not completely mentally in the game.
2009-04-07 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Great job Texas!......as always!
2009-04-07 10:54 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I noticed the same thing with water at the first aid station. I grabbed a Gatorade that had a lid, but was open. I saw that the folks with the water bottles had the caps off.
2009-04-07 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Great way to gut out a disappointing race. Please give me some tips on how to do this. My HIM doesn't have an AquaBike category, so it looks like I'm heading for my first (and hopefully last) DNF. I just don't want to lose my entry fee and do CdA without any warm up races That is still a smokin' fast bike split and it's very cool that you know you could do better. IMFL better look out cuz you are gonna tear it up!
2009-04-07 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great job Brit!

Interesting how it took you awhile to get into the racing mood and then you really picked it up a notch to finish super strong.
Impressive time overall and sweet you were able to still race given your injury. I think aquabike is a great option for many that can't run or are injuried...I wish there were more of them around.

Congrats on a great first race, pushing to do better an dlearing a bit about yourself, and of course hardward is always nice!

2009-04-07 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
good job out there - especially for a training day!  I bet it did feel weird not transitioning to the run!  But you will be back very soon to your normal racing and winning abilities!!!  SO fun to see you and see your smile under that helmet coming in from the bike!  Good job!
2009-04-09 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
great job brittany. so fun to have dinner with you and then see you before and after! great job...and heal up soon!!
2009-04-10 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Nice race.  Congrats on the hardware.  That was was an awesome bike ride considering you weren't feeling it for the first part.  Imagine 'feeling it' for the entire ride! 
2009-04-11 5:19 AM

Veteran
Nice race.  Thanks for cheering.  It took my mind off things chatting with you on the bike and passing you by on the run. 
2009-04-11 6:48 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
sorry to hear about the last second injury but glad the aquabike was avail for you. great job to land some hardware and start the tri season off with a bang! i dream of someday winning those mavic wheels!!!!!!!

2009-04-11 12:34 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Great job Brit!  HARDWARE!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed