Ironman North America
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 44m 18s
Overall Rank = 1608/2115
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 220/258
Pre-race routine:

I started in the last of 20 waves so I had a chance to wait around for awhile which was great, because I ate a bowl of cereal, used the porta, and didn't start the race till the sun was out.
Event warmup:

No warm up, just light stretching trying to stay calm. Found a neoprene hoodie a pro had discarded so I got a free gift and got to keep the head warm! Took in a gel about 10min prior to my start.
Swim
  • 44m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Once the swim started I just tried to stay calm and go smooth for the first 200m or so. I was expecting to get thrashed but that was fairly mild. I swam great but after about 400m I was having issues with my wetsuit again (I believe it is just a bit too short in the crotch. TO do any sort of kicking was causing pain as my "stuff" was being compresed so I went with light kicking the rest of way. I noticed my speed dropped off but it was not much so I just went with it. At the turn around I was hit with a wall of sunshine making it hard to see the bouys. There were swimmers around me that were treading and looking and then swimming again...forget that, I saw jetty to the right of me and guess what....the landing is at the end of the jetty so why not just follow that. I did and it worked well. I still tried to sight some just to make sure I didn't go too far right and smack a pier but I was feeling great. Coming out of the water I looked back and saw lots of people still in the water and felt much better ( I was nervous about being one of the last racers on the course). Saw my support crew (Frank and Milagros) at transition.
What would you do differently?:

Thinking about selling the wetsuit and going with a different fit. Just too uncomfortable.
Transition 1
  • 05m 14s
Comments:

I went smooth here. Probably could have saved 60sec but why? I wanted to make sure I was good to go for the next 3+ hrs. This also included a nice little run 2000 deep into transition. Decided the sun was out nicely and I didn't go with the arm warmers I had purchased the day before.

not much, I was happy here.
Bike
  • 3h 17m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I was surprised at the 17mph avg, I felt like I was doing greater than that throughout but I guess the hills dropped it some. Seems like the rest of the time I was above 20 unless we were on a false flat. The weather was fantastic, I didn't need the arm warmers and was glad I didn't bring them. Some people had on jackets and a few even in tights which I am sure they soon regretted. For nutrition I had a pre mixed bottle of HEED and 1 bottle with no liquid but 2 scoops of Sustained Energy mix. This was just the right mix I think. The first aid station was at mile 15, I finished the HEED and grabbed water. Between 15 and 30 I drank the water and took down a gel. At mile 30 I discarded the water bottle and picked up 1 bottle of Gatorade. At mile 45 I discarded the Gatorade and grabbed a water. As soon as I saw aid station at 45 I prepared my Sustained Energy by placing the bottle in the down tube holder with cap off and in my mouth. I took a water and immediately shot it in the open container and discarded the bottle. At no time did I have more than 1 bottle of liquid. It seemed to work out well. I was never thirsty and I managed HEED, Water, Gatorade, Sus Energy, and 2 gels total. I am thinking that is about 500-600 calories.

Go faster, which entails greater bike fitness. I will say the long weekend rides were perfect. I had been doing 40-50 rides for the last 4 weeks or so and it felt like training.
Transition 2
  • 04m 50s
Comments:

Transition was smooth I felt. I have very little stuff at transition so it makes it easier. Saw my support crew again coming off the bike which was nice.

Stay an extra 30 seconds and really rub down right foot cramp. Turns out my bike shoes are too narrow, I am still feeling the foot pain 2 days later as I write this.
Run
  • 2h 32m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

For the first lap I was feeling good. Then after around mile 7 I started to do a run/walk mix but it wasn't happening. It was very hard to start up again. At mile8 or so I was not able to take full breaths. The legs felt OK, no soreness really...I just couldn't seem to catch a full breath. It was as if my lungs were fatigued. My HR got pretty low, it was just my lungs that kept me going strong.

I suppose just work on run fitness but more than that it is just the long workout. I need to do some 5 + hour training sessions.
Post race
Warm down:

Post race I was still not able to get full breathes so I did a few minutes in the med tent. I figured it would be good to have them "make sure" I was feeling ok. After about 5-10 I popped out of there and ate about 3 pieces of pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run fitness and no workouts with 5+ hr duration.

Event comments:

Best race I have done so far. I tried not to get too down on myself and just enjoy it. So what I had to walk a bit...I will be in this sport for awhile. Might as well enjoy it.

Overall this was a fantastic race. It was a sufferfest on the run but I thoroughly enjoyed it, I knew I would finish and I was already calculating how to get better before next time. Figuring out in my head what I need to do to get ready for IM in November. It will be a long road ahead, I just hope I can stay healthy and become an IRONMAN! This is a fantastic sport and I am glad I started doing it...

Last updated: 2008-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:47 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 224/258
Overall: 1747/2115
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Out and back with slight dog leg at end.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:17:11 | 56 miles | 17.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 189/258
Overall: 1434/2115
Avg HR 136 Max HR 160 (on hill)
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful course in Camp P. I really enjoyed this course. There were I suppose 3 climbs with one being about 10-12 min long around mile 25...that one was tough but I just focused on my breathing and passed about 100 people up that hill. There were a few walking and many loaded down with 3 and 4 FULL water bottles which is just too much liquid weight for me.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: unk
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:32:17 | 13.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 226/258
Overall: 1731/2115
Performance: Below average
when I was actually running I was in the low 150's. When I did run/walk I was avg 130's.
Course: 2 loops out and back along the beach for the most part. There was a sand section they said was about 1/4mile...I think it was a little short of that, but we had to cross it 4 times total and that was a drag...soft sand was no good.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-06 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2009-04-07 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2067149

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Awesome Neil, I had a great time too! You cant complain about the weather, almost perfect, that ocean breeze on the run felt soo good.  Those neoprene caps are way too handy, I credit mine for making my swim comfortable. Sorry we did not meet up, maybe next year!  
2009-04-07 9:46 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Well done out there! Way to get a free cap out of it! It was a beautiful day to be racing.
2009-04-07 12:03 PM

User image

Congrats on your first HIM.  Good call with your swim sighting, not overdressing on the bike, and your overall nutrition.  Sounds like a super successful first HIM to me  

2009-04-10 9:17 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Neil, congrats on your finish.  Sounds like you made through a bit of adversity and suffering (trust me, we've all been there) and that will only make you tougher for your next races.
2009-04-12 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Nice job and great race!  I agree with you, that run is a "sufferfest".

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed