General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the Required/Reccommended Gear for Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-07 8:44 AM

User image

Subject: What is the Required/Reccommended Gear for Sprint Triathlon
Hello, I am a triathlon neophyte, with little to no experience in the different categories. I am one of those people trying to go from the couch to compete in my first sprint triathlon in NY, late September. I am essentially a blank slate and am trying to get a grasp of the gear needed to train and compete in a sprint triathlon.

With each passing day as I train and search for more information, I learn something new but I am reaching a point of information overflow with regards to gear.  Does anybody have a complete, comprehensive, but bulleted, version of what the appropriate gear and accessories that are NEEDED (not the nice to have) by stage, Swim-T1-Bike-T2-Run for a non-elite participant?  Or is this covered in a book I haven't bought yet?

Until today, I seriously thought all I needed was a rental wetsuit, goggles, swim cap, rental bike (I have a hybrid at home), helmet, possibly biking sunglasses, saddle pack with bike repair kit, emergency kit and sustenance, tri-suit and running shoes (yes I was going to show up with only one pair of shoes).  Today I found out about T2 backpacks, carbon biking shoes, transition mats, compression socks, rocket helmets, swim hoods, swim paddles, RoadID, water safety belt, alternating two pair of running shoes while training, etc., etc., etc. Surprised

I started to make my own table but decided to ask you guys. I want to complete the triathlon successfully (goal is to finish, not to place, though with a good time), but I do not  want show up with the biggest backpack at the event.  I am having a bit of trouble discerning the appropriate gear needed for this level of the triathlon.

Please help!Embarassed

Thanks

P.S.:  Does anybody know how to delete tables from the posts? I inserted one, but cannot get the frame to go away although i have deleted all column, hence all the space at the bottom of this post. 

Edited by BiafraGirl 2009-04-07 8:54 AM

2009-04-07 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2067772

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: What is the Required/Reccommended Gear for Sprint Triathlon
Goggles
Towel
Bike w/ helmet (plus shoes if you have clipless pedals)
Repair kit
Running shoes
Hydration

Shouldn't really NEED much else. Too much gear can clutter things up.

If you aren't already proficient with clipless pedals, I would not recommend them for the race. Very Bad Things can happen.
2009-04-07 9:01 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Here is what you NEED:
Bike

helmet

shoes--unless you do everything barefoot

swim goggles--unless you don't care if you see where you're going (but the guy next to you might take offense when you clonk into him)

Some sort of clothing to cover your goodly bits so you don't get arrested or DQ'd for nudity.

The rest is just window dressing and "I want". :-)

2009-04-07 9:13 AM

User image

Swim

swimsuit or tri suit

Bike

bike
helmet
swimsuit or trisuit

Run

swimsuit or trisuit
shoes

That's all you NEED and even the shoes for the run are optional.

Is your swim in a lake or in a pool? Quite a few sprints are in a pool and there's no need for a wetsuit in a pool. If the water's above about 70 you don't NEED a wetsuit in any case but it would be nice to have if you get cold easily.

Do not worry about cycling shoes. Do not worry about fancy stuff. Yes, your platform pedals and running shoes are fine for this. You will not be the only one on a hybrid bike with platform pedals and running shoes.
2009-04-07 9:34 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

Keep it simple.  A lot of those little gadgets are only distractions.  They're fun to shop for, but at the end of the day, they're not needed.

Get the neccesities and have fun!

2009-04-07 11:42 AM

User image

Regular
Saratoga Springs, NY
BiafraGirl - 2009-04-07 9:44 AM 

Today I found out about T2 backpacks, carbon biking shoes, transition mats, compression socks, rocket helmets, swim hoods, swim paddles, RoadID, water safety belt, alternating two pair of running shoes while training, etc., etc., etc. Surprised

I just started last spring myself so I'm completely sympathetic, the equipment choices are absolutely overwhelming.  If I may over some advice, hold off trying to guess your future needs by purchasing everything at once and just start training with the essentials that everyone else has mentioned.  Add to your collection as your training demands.  For instance, once I started cycling longer distances and found myself in neighborhoods  and areas I didn't recognize (or were very rural) I decided to get a Road ID band for peace of mind.  I used toe clips on my bike for a month or so until I felt the need to move up and I add to my "tech" clothes collection only once my workout frequency exceeds my laundering abilities.

My rule of thumb: if it doesn't keep me from training regularly, it's not an issue.

2009-04-07 4:35 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Assuming you have the following:

Swimsuit
Bicycle
Helmet
Running shoes
Shirt* (bare torso's may not be allowed, but I don't know what your swimsuit is like.  This controversial rule is unevenly enforced and you may be racing where the race director does enforce it. )

You don't *NEED* anything else.  (But you might try running and/or riding in the swimsuit.

The race usually provides swim caps (they use different colored caps for different waves)

If the swimsuit doesn't work for the bike/run activites, you can a trisuit or tri-shorts and a tri-shirt. 
Goggles
Sunglasses (to keep crap out of your eyes).  Sunglasses do not have to be expensive. 
Socks (for me at least)
Sunscreen
Water bottle for the bike
Tool kit for the bike
Spare tube for the bike
Pump/inflator for the bike
Hand towel to clean off your feet after the swim. 

Then you start getting into the *WANTS*
Wetsuit (unless the water is <65F)
Race belt
Clipless pedals and cycling shoes
Aero helmet
Carbon Fiber (anything)
Running hat
Tri-bike
Deep aero, disk, tri-spoke, or "race" wheels

You don't need the HRM, pool toys (paddles, fins, kickboard, bouy), cycle computer, power tap, Garmin, RoadID, etc. to race (but I would invest in some form of durable, easy-to-find-on-you-in-case-of-an-accident ID for training rides/runs). 

2009-04-07 5:13 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
If you've been doing any training at all, then realistically you don't NEED anything.  You had to be wearing something to swim in, probably some goggles to be able to see.  You've been riding some sort of bike (borrowed or other), wearing some helmet (right?) and some sort of shoes.  You've been running with some sort of shoe as well (maybe even the same pair you bike with).  You have everything you possibly need right there.  At the race, they will give you race numbers and safety pins, and swim cap for your wave.

What will you want?  Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy....What wouldn't you want?!? As you get hooked on the sport, there is always another bright shiny to attract you. Road ID. A trisuit.  A wetsuit is nice.  Maybe a sleeveless for warmer water and full sleeves for colder.  A towel for drying off your feet at T1.  Race belt. A better bike (there's ALWAYS a "better bike"; but realistically for your sprint a hybird is fine). Cyclometer.  Camelback for hydration. Aerobars for a road bike.  A tri bike.  A better tri bike. Clipless pedals.  A different kind of clipless pedals.  The first kind again, but in a lighter material.  A better helmet, with more ventilation.  An aerohelmet.  A bento box on the bike. Lighter aerobars.  Extra water bottles.  Aero water bottle.  Upgraded wireless cyclometer.  Garmin 305  Waterproof Garmin. Gu.  Gels.  Energy drink. Better running shoes.  A repair stand to work on the bike.  Bike repair tools.  Better tools.  A better stand.  More socks.  Bamboo fiber socks.  Compression tights.  Winter training clothes.  A trainer for indoors.  A treadmill.  A better trainer.  Swim paddles.  Swim bouy.  Spibelt for running.  A bunch of tri-training books.  Spinerval DVD's. Transition packs. Insulated water bottles......

Not that I've been there.  Nope. 
2009-04-09 8:10 AM

User image

Thank you so much for your helpful, informative and humourous responses.  Smile 

Your responses definitely did clear things up, and my "mental" backpack has come down in size considerably.  As this venture is my first time at training seriously, and competing, I will definitely update what my final back pack looked like at the end of the race.

For a while there I felt like I was trying to do calculus without even know the basic 1, 2, 3s. Whew, waht a relief.

FYI -- I have registered in the MightyMan Sprint in Montauk, NY, where the competition will take place in open water that is supposed to be in the mid to upper 60s, followed by a scenic bike and run trail.  From the accounts of previous participants in the various MightyMan triathlons (they have a mini, sprint, olympic and Half-Iron Man), it seems like a good place to start out.

Thank you guys!!!
BG
2009-04-11 12:29 AM

User image

Western Slope, Colorado
i am in a similar boat.  i'm training for my first triathlon and am on a budget, so i'm wondering what i really, really need.  For instance, the registration form says the water will be 62-65 degrees and they recommend a wetsuit, especially for first timers, but i don't think i can afford a wetsuit.  Cold water doesn't usually bother me, i'm overweight (which provides buoyancy Wink) and run hotter than most people.  i plan to ride in my running shoes and buy a tri top and some cycling shorts and hopefully that's about all i need to buy.  i don't want to get sucked in and start spending money i don't have, but please tell me if i really need the wetsuit.
2009-04-11 4:28 AM
in reply to: #2077617

User image

luinel - 2009-04-11 1:29 AM

i am in a similar boat.  i'm training for my first triathlon and am on a budget, so i'm wondering what i really, really need.  For instance, the registration form says the water will be 62-65 degrees and they recommend a wetsuit, especially for first timers, but i don't think i can afford a wetsuit.  Cold water doesn't usually bother me, i'm overweight (which provides buoyancy Wink) and run hotter than most people.  i plan to ride in my running shoes and buy a tri top and some cycling shorts and hopefully that's about all i need to buy.  i don't want to get sucked in and start spending money i don't have, but please tell me if i really need the wetsuit.

Even a 750 meter sprint swim will suck severely at 65 degrees without a wetsuit. You can always rent one if you cannot afford to buy one. Then you'll also know if you want to buy that particular make/model when it does come time to buy.

Don't bother with a dedicated "tri top". Get a compression top and it'll work great as a tri top for the race and probably cost less too.

Don't get cycling shorts, all that padding is going to soak up water and ruin your day when you run. Get tri specific shorts. The pad is smaller and they're made to run in as well as not absorbing that much water from the swim.

2009-04-11 10:42 PM
in reply to: #2077662

User image

Western Slope, Colorado
It's only 500m; i don't even know if there is anywhere to rent a wetsuit locally.

What's a compression top?

i was thinking of putting on the shorts after i get out of the water, the tri shorts i tried on were shorter than i like to wear and i've always hated traditional bike shorts.  You've gotta realize that i weigh 230 pounds and look pretty bad in spandex, not to mention i'm modest lol.

i'm not even sure i can afford to buy what i want to already. ):
2009-04-12 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2078781

User image

Pro

luinel - 2009-04-11 11:42 PM It's only 500m; i don't even know if there is anywhere to rent a wetsuit locally.

What's a compression top?

i was thinking of putting on the shorts after i get out of the water, the tri shorts i tried on were shorter than i like to wear and i've always hated traditional bike shorts.  You've gotta realize that i weigh 230 pounds and look pretty bad in spandex, not to mention i'm modest lol.

i'm not even sure i can afford to buy what i want to already. ):

Trisports can rent you one from their on-line program. 

A compression top is made of stretchy material that has more pressure in it to provide support.  I know there are studies going back 15-20 years showing the benefits of compression tights in reducing leg fatigue and prolonging endurance, and I also use tights rather than loose shorts when I run for this reason.  Some people also swear by compression tops, but I get nervous that it will feel harder to breathe (I'm sure it would be just in my mind, but still...).

You'll hear this over and over on this site (because it's true), but putting on anything after the swim is going to be hard and slow you waaaay down. Also tri-shorts are better than bike shorts because the pad is thinner and will dry quicker, so you can wear them in the swim without a problem - just hop on the bike. You can also train in them if you are trying to save money.  Keep in mind, though, that the more you wear them, the more you should wash them, and the shorter their lifespan will be.

As for the weight, very few people look good in spandex.  Even many fit triathletes have enough body fat to look like a sausage. And as you tell by the active threads in the weight loss and the Clydes/Athena forums, there are a lot of us who not uber-fit, just out there tri'ing.  On race day, you will see all types of bodies, and no one really cares about it.  If you don't believe me, go to a local tri before your race (or even volunteer to help out), and you'll see all kind of bodies, all kinds of bikes, and in general, the friendliest and most accepting group of athletes anywhere.

2009-04-13 2:03 AM
in reply to: #2078999

User image

Western Slope, Colorado
gearboy - 2009-04-12 7:06 AM

Woah, $300 deposit so not in the budget, none of their suits would fit me according to the chart, and i could probably buy a wetsuit for cheaper than that.

You'll hear this over and over on this site (because it's true), but putting on anything after the swim is going to be hard and slow you waaaay down. Also tri-shorts are better than bike shorts because the pad is thinner and will dry quicker, so you can wear them in the swim without a problem - just hop on the bike. You can also train in them if you are trying to save money.  Keep in mind, though, that the more you wear them, the more you should wash them, and the shorter their lifespan will be.

i hadn't read that anywhere... it's hard just to pull on some shorts? Harder than peeling off a wetsuit???  i rode 8 miles today and am not sore at all, i'm starting to wonder if i even need a pad (my bike has a really nice seat).  My aunt has said repeatedly that she imagines that riding while wet will cause chafing:  is that generally a problem?  The tri bottoms that i tried on were very uncomfortable except for the chamois, i'm kind of wary about them, though of course maybe i just need to buy a different brand.  I still don't want to be showing my butt off in shorts that are see through and fit wrong.  Ugh i had no idea that this would be so expensive and complicated.

Edited by luinel 2009-04-13 2:06 AM
2009-04-13 6:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Don't get discouraged.  It's actually super easy and fun.  I've done my first two sprints and am training for a third.

Here's your step by step first race according to equipment:

1. Wear a something you can swim/bike/run in.  Do NOT worry about chafing or being wet for sprint distance, but try to go light.  I'm thinking either a big ol' one piece swimsuit or thin aerobics-style spandex shorts and halter top.  You don't need any padding for a 13 mile or shorter bike course.  Your wetsuit goes over this,  you don't care about drag - so wear whatever you can bike and run in.

2. After your swim, take off your wetsuit, pull on your sneakers, helmet and glasses and pedal away on the bike.  Ie; plain ol' pedals.  No socks in the shoes.  You'll dry off pretty fast on a bike.

3. Get off the bike, pull on your race belt ($5.00 online) that has your number attached, take off the helmet, and run to the finish line.

That's it.
Cheers,
steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2009-04-13 6:44 AM
2009-04-13 6:42 AM
in reply to: #2080154

User image

Pro
luinel - 2009-04-13 3:03 AM
gearboy - 2009-04-12 7:06 AM

Woah, $300 deposit so not in the budget, none of their suits would fit me according to the chart, and i could probably buy a wetsuit for cheaper than that.

i hadn't read that anywhere... it's hard just to pull on some shorts? Harder than peeling off a wetsuit???  i rode 8 miles today and am not sore at all, i'm starting to wonder if i even need a pad (my bike has a really nice seat).  My aunt has said repeatedly that she imagines that riding while wet will cause chafing:  is that generally a problem?  The tri bottoms that i tried on were very uncomfortable except for the chamois, i'm kind of wary about them, though of course maybe i just need to buy a different brand.  I still don't want to be showing my butt off in shorts that are see through and fit wrong.  Ugh i had no idea that this would be so expensive and complicated.

You can get a wetsuit for less than the deposit, but would get the deposit back.  I found a cheap tri wetsuit at a scuba shop that carries some tri gear, but a lot of wetsuits are lot more money.  Xterra is on sale right now for $99, however.

Getting the suit off is very easy - the neoprene is very pliable and slippery when wet.  Spandex does not like to go on wet skin, so yes, it is hard to pull on some shorts.  Try it after you hop out of the shower before drying off and you will see what I mean.  Once you start riding, you will dry off, so being wet will not be an issue at that point.  You mentioned being heavy, so it is more likely that chaffing from skin on skin would cause problems.  So you will want to wear some kind of tights so it is spandex on spandex during the bike and run.  If you are comfortable enough without padding, then just get some running tights.  Back in the day, when we raced in speedo banana hammocks, many people (including me) did not use any sort of pad to speak of. (Try not to dwell on the imagery, or your eyes - they will burn)

2009-04-13 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I've done 7 sprints and this is all I ever used:
Swimsuit
Cap (provided by the races)
Goggles

Bike
Helmet
Race belt (I made mine at home.)
Gatorade (Fierce Melon)

Running shoes
Socks
Ball cap (cause wow does my hair look awful after a swim and a bike!)

Oh - I also had a screaming yellow towel to put my transition stuff on and a cute little stuffed walrus to make me laugh when I stopped into the transition zone.  (A reminder that this is fun - and to not get too serious about it.)

Lots of people had more stuff, swam in wetsuits, used fancy nutrition stuff, etc.  However, I had a great time at all my races (well okay - maybe Milton was a little unpleasant) but I didn't need any really fancy stuff to have a great time and meet awesome people.

For safety sake I do have a set of dog-tags that I wear when I train - just in case I get hit by a bus or something ... but you have your race number written all over you - they'll know who you are if they need to.
2009-04-13 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2080263

User image

Silver_wlf - 2009-04-13 8:24 AM

I've done 7 sprints and this is all I ever used:
Swimsuit
Goggles

Bike
Helmet
Gatorade (Fierce Melon)

Running shoes
Socks

Lady Godiva, is that you?
2009-04-13 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2080384

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
DanielG - 2009-04-13 8:37 AM
Silver_wlf - 2009-04-13 8:24 AM I've done 7 sprints and this is all I ever used:
Swimsuit
Goggles

Bike
Helmet
Gatorade (Fierce Melon)

Running shoes
Socks
Lady Godiva, is that you?

I was talking about what I used to race - not what I needed to train.  Smarty pants! *thppt*

ETA: Obviously I need to add: shorts, t-shirts, tights, winter running gear, coat, socks, extra running shoes, gloves, band, iPod, cycling shoes, water bottles, food, water, sleep, dogs, friends, cell phone, etc.

Edited by Silver_wlf 2009-04-13 11:04 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the Required/Reccommended Gear for Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed