General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 13m 43s
Overall Rank = 129/638
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/84
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at San Luis so got up early and loaded up the truck to drive over. Valentz was with me and doing the quarter so we got there at 6 AM for set up. Set up my T1, then went around and video taped everyone and the race atmosphere. Ate a PB&J and drank a G2.
Event warmup:

After the quarter went off I got in the water and did a little 200M warm up. Hung out with Craig, Jen and Hogans until the start.
Swim
  • 35m 36s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt really relaxed and good before the start. As we took off I swam with my head up to sight and figure out who to chase. as soon as I put my head down, I took a heel to the cheek. It knocked my googles up, so I stopped and adjusted them and took off. I swam to the first turn relatively easy and stayed about 5 yards right of the bouy line. Couldn't draft off anybody for any good amount of time, but felt good. Took the first turn and stayed right on the bouy line for this stretch. With about 100M left to the last turn, my left shoulder started to feel tired and I wasn't as comfortable as before. Took the turn in and made it to the finish, felt good coming out and bypassed the wetsuit strippers on into the T1. Overall, happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

More drills and long swims.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Took my time in T1 and put my shoes on. Didn't wear sunglasses due to overcast.
Bike
  • 2h 29m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.47 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the worst bike for me in a while. Not from a time standpoint, but how I felt. I could not get comfortable and after about 10 miles, I was struggling. My goal going out was to keep my watts between 230-240 for the first 15 miles, see how I felt, and hopefully push it up a notch. The reverse happened. I was so uncomfortable that I was out of aero probably 50% of the ride and I got passed a lot. By the turnaround, everything was aching. My goal became to just get back to the finish line and get off the bike (bike is usually my favorite and I have never really had this mindset before). Coming in my power continued to drop, but we were a little downwind and it was pretty easy to maintain 25 MPH. I figured I could still come in under 2:30 and have a shot at sub 5 hours if I could run, so I went with that goal. I think this ride could have been a sub 2:20 if I had felt right, but oh well. Got back to T2 and was glad to be off the bike.

Don't know what the deal was because I felt good in the water. I think my body is fighting an illness or something because in all my training rides and even last years race, my HR never avgs above 160 for the ride, expecially at the lower wattage numbers. Last years race wattage was 226, avg HR 156,and avg speed of 21.7. This year avg watts 221, HR 161, avg speed 22.1.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Took it easy again, felt like crap
Run
  • 2h 04m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting out the run I felt like a big bowl of soup was sloshing around my belly. Thought I was going to hurl, but it never happened. Burped a lot and felt miserable. Decided to run to each aid station, pour cold water on my head and not take on any fluids. At about mile 6 I started to feel better, but by that time I was jsut trying to finish. Had other issues with my leg, but thinking back on that race just wears me out.

I don't know what my deal was, but I'll get it figured out.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with friends and was glad to be done.

Event comments:

I like this race and think they do a great job.

Last updated: 2009-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:36 | 1931 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/84
Overall: 129/638
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Sleeveless
Course: Big square
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:29:31 | 56 miles | 22.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/84
Overall: 79/638
Performance: Below average
AVG Watts 221 NP 226 AVG HR 161
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back with a little 8 mile loop at the turn.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:04:16 | 13.1 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/84
Overall: 228/638
Performance: Bad
Watch messed up, so I didn't have this data, but my HR was way high throughout the run.
Course: 4 loops winding through Moody Gardens.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-07 12:16 PM

User image

Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2009-04-07 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2068363

User image

Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
way to fight thru it...I feel your pain (see FL 1/2IM run...if u can call it a RUN). Sure was a great finish despite your setbacks. Way to go Toady...u rock the hizzy, YO
2009-04-11 8:27 PM

User image

scottsdale, Arizona
Nice job fighting through it Todd.  You feel like crap and do 5:13.  I have a fairly good day (at NOLA) and do 6:25.  Go figure.
2009-04-11 10:26 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job to tough it out. sub 5hr will happen soon enough. good luck this season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed