General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Race of Agoura Hills - Chesebro Half Mar Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Great Race of Agoura Hills - Chesebro Half Mar - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Agoura Hills, California
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 50s
Overall Rank = 726/1228
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 90/118
Pre-race routine:

My Goals for the race were : PR the course , i did 2:27 first time out in 2006 as my first half amrathon, that year the course was muddy and wet after it had just rained. Its a tricky trail course with a clump of hills
with some good climbing in the middle third , It took a solid effort to complete and left a scar on my forehead.

During the climbs on single track trail section It is hard to pass people as it is very narrow . And some climbs are rocky and pretty steep. I knew i would need to walk those.

My Plan was to pace it well to have gas left in the tank to smoke the last three miles on the road Kanan slight downhill and finish strong.

Another essential is to get enough sleep tonight and friday night . Race time is 7 am

Its quite the race , i drove some of the course today after the packet pick up
and its hilly ...

Up at 5am ate breakfast changed and drove to the course
Event warmup:

Parked off Kanan which was easy to get to and find a spot , only a short walk up to the start , another reason is it is easier to leave this spot as its nearest the freeway without being on the race route . Found Mel Kristin Phil and Paula in the parking lot and we Jogged up the hill to the start . Then lined up with Dave , carl and linda at the front . Chatted and before we knew it the race was off.
No national anthem to build the anticipation.
Run
  • 2h 14m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran it very well for my ability , which was confortably hard for the first half and started to push up the effort about halfway.
I headed to the start line with a throwaway sweater over my new club singlet
Temperature were quite cool which would make for an ideal race. I wore small
white gloves which came in handy . I also carried i water bottle and 3 gels as there would not be gatorade on the course. I took one gel after an hour
and a second gel around mile 10. Water was available in a few places on the course and i used it to clean my eyes and cool my head.
Settled into a indian file pace where many runners were passing and then i would pass them again as they faded over the distance particularly in the long steep climb to mile 8. i power walked this rocky and uphill section and used "on your left " quite a bit . Knowing the course really helps as i knew it was downhill from there , this required a gear change as its best with a bigger stride. Then came the last hill , a solid grade on dirt with protruding rocks leveling off slowly , it was a tough one , the path here very wide so every one could get up at their pace . I started running as soon as the slope grade dropped back and then it felt great as it became downhill again . The dirt part ended and where it met pavement was a nicely laid out aid station. I picked up the effort here as i knew from checking my watch that i would easily PR the course .
What would you do differently?:

Nothing , i prepared for this race with distance and a lot of hill work and tune up 5k trail race . It all really made this course very managable for me
I shaved 13 minutes from my first effort and felt a lot better this time around.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and found some water to cool down . Got some nice fruit and checked in with the rest of our group there at the race .

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and Weight

Event comments:

tough tough course and very pretty too , probably THE prettiest course i have raced on. Even spotted a hare which i jokingly told the ladies in front was there for pacing.
Ran well especially climbing the
trails , shaved 13 odd minutes from 2006. It Got warm which slowed me down in the latter part. SCR singlet was very confortable to run in and looks cool to boot.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-02-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:14:50 | 13.1 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 90/118
Overall: 118/1228
Performance: Good
HR averaged 160 for the race , It was around 155 for the first 4 miles , then climbed up for the steep climbs then hit 170-175 when i tried to hammer the last 2 odd miles back downhill on Kanan to the finish. Splits were Mile 2 18:49 Mile 3 9:42 mile 4 10:30 mile 5 10:51 Mile 6 11:26 including a nature call Miles 7-12 1:02:35 Mile 13 9:45 (tired and hot) Last 0.1 1:11
Course: Course: First three miles are on roads--short, steep, downhill, then modest gain. Then 7.5 miles of trails--3 miles ascending on fire road, then ~2.5 more miles of ascent on single track (rutted and occasionally rocky) incl. steep climb to summit at ~mile 8, then ~2 miles descending quickly on fire road. One last tough climb in the midst of descent at just past mile 10. Last aid station as we leave the trails for pavement and Last two miles all downhill on city streets.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-07 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Subject: The Great Race of Agoura Hills - Chesebro Half Mar

2009-04-07 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2068890

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: The Great Race of Agoura Hills - Chesebro Half Mar

Awesome jopb sticking to and executing a well thought plan.  A PR too!  Excellent!

It is nice to know the course in advance and know where you can hammer it and where you need to hold back

2009-04-07 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2068890

User image

Melon Presser
Wonderful picture and GREAT JOB smashing your PR! I know this course well, or not well, since I got lost and it turned into a nineteen-miler for me ... so CONGRATULATIONS for sticking to a tough course and making it YOURS!
2009-04-10 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2069583

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

TriAya - 2009-04-07 5:47 PM Wonderful picture and GREAT JOB smashing your PR! I know this course well, or not well, since I got lost and it turned into a nineteen-miler for me ... so CONGRATULATIONS for sticking to a tough course and making it YOURS!

I am sorry to hear that , The extra distance would add a lot to an already challenging course .    

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Race of Agoura Hills - Chesebro Half Mar Rss Feed