BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-09-19 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2414882

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL

givemashot - 2009-09-18 9:36 PM

Speaking of positive energy, please send some my way, as well. Tomorrow I will be doing what should have been my first OWS tri. The open water part has been cancelled due to a roundworm "infestation". (7 out of 14 samples from the lake/beaches were positive, with 3 cases of worms in people). Instead, the RD elected to move the swim to a 3 lane wide, 25 yard pool that is in the area. So, I will be swimming 75 yards, running about a mile to transition, then doing the original 11-ish mile bike and 5k run around the lake as planned. While I like that I am not exposing myself to the worms, I am worried about the run right before the bike. My bike and I are not the best of friends, and this ride is mostly uphill until the turnaround point. Add to that the fact that I have the slowest T1 and T2 times anyway, and I will now be changing shoes 2 times instead of once... I will be fine. Right? Right. I am headed to bed. Soon. As soon as I pack. The race is alongside Oquirrh Lake in South Jordan, Utah. I should be in the water around 830/9-ish AM, and done by about 2 hours later. I'll be thinking of you guys!

Best of luck!! You'll do great. My suggestion is not to worry too much about the mile run after swim, just trot or walk fast to your bike and be very mindful about what you're doing in transition.

Looking forward to your RR. Go get 'em!

2009-09-20 12:33 AM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Master
Utah

The tri went ok...The swim was awesome, the bike sucked, and the run was decent. Race report is on my log. I am exhausted, and overdue for bedtime, but I wanted to stop in and let you all know that I thought of you today during the race. When I really wanted to stop, I thought of everything you have shared with me, and it helped me keep going. It really did. Thanks you guys--this group has been-and will continue to be-a wonderful source of inspiration and comfort to me. Flipper hugs!

2009-09-20 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2415830

User image

Master
Vista, CA

givemashot - 2009-09-19 10:33 PM

The tri went ok...The swim was awesome, the bike sucked, and the run was decent. Race report is on my log. I am exhausted, and overdue for bedtime, but I wanted to stop in and let you all know that I thought of you today during the race. When I really wanted to stop, I thought of everything you have shared with me, and it helped me keep going. It really did. Thanks you guys--this group has been-and will continue to be-a wonderful source of inspiration and comfort to me. Flipper hugs!

AMY -- Way to stick it out and power through. Nice. hugs back.

Lynn

2009-09-21 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2416445

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Congrats on the race! We never doubted you'd do great. ;-)

Sorry I've been so silent - I got a lot going on over here. I'm too wrapped up in my own messy little world to really be in a position to be supportive to others. But I've made some big decisions, and am working through a few more decisions (ie: big life changes coming yet again!) ... and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will emerge from the muck. I will reach that light.

The light is only a few months away. I just have to get through the next few months, and successfully jump through all the hoops that have been thrown up in my path. Then I'll be there.

I can't tell you guys enough how much you mean to me. One of the reasons I turned to BT in the first place is because I have no support network where I currently live ... and this has turned out better than I ever could have imagined. Thank you for your support and your friendship, when I needed it the most.
2009-09-21 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
I have been pretty silent, too.  It was a bad week here at home last week.  Dh is doing his depression stuff again big time but doesn't get it at all.   Long story short....after 3 hours of "talking" in the driveway on Friday morning, I laid down an ultimatum...get help or be alone.   I told him he was like an old man - negative, unhappy, unmotivated, no desire to LIVE and in fact, just focused on getting old and dying...and he is only 49!!!!!!    Told him I choose NOT to live like that!   Anyway, not sure what will happen (and I could stay here with the kids if he will allow the space for me to be me and not continually project and blame), but I truly feel different inside...like I have let go of a huge glob of gunk that was weighing me down.

TR - glad things are moving toward the light for you!  I agree with not having a social network and loving the fellowship here with the Manatees.    If you need to vent or share the journey toward the light, don't hesitate.   What I have found in my healing journey is that we never know when something we say or do or share is going to be just the thing someone else needs to hear, too.

Amy - WTG on the triathlon!   I think you did awesome!    Sounds like a tough bike ride but you stuck it out and ended up with a really good time even with the stops!   I think your transition times will drop with experience. 

Yanti - sending prayers your way!  Though my situation is different, I totally  understand the desire to run away from the struggles...and the knowledge that in the end it isn't the answer....at least for now.   

Kathy - how are things with you?  

I haven't posted a RR yet....like I said, last week was the pits here.    I guess my first tri season is over now.  I will look for some 5 and/or 10Ks to run and keep training.    I really, really need to work on my run anyway.  Any suggestions for how to increase run speed?

My kids are doing great and I am a super proud mom.   I guess through 25+ years of a crappy marriage and disconnected dh/dad I have done something right to have raised such incredible kids!  

Blessings,
Sharie
2009-09-21 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Hi Manatees!

I'm still alive! I've just been really busy. Things continue to improve around here, even though I'm still waiting for closure. I'm being very patient and praying every day. I have faith that it will come when the time is right for us both.

I've been trainig alot, just not logging like I should. I guess I should try to catch it up. Mostly I've just been running, cuz that's the easiest thing to do. I have a tendonitis in my right bicep that has prevented me from swimming for the last few weeks. I bike every now and then. I need to get more consistent with that.

Sounds like everyone is doing ok. TR, follow your heart. Hope you are still in for NOLA in Feb.
Sharie, congrats on your recent races and good luck with your dh. Beth, glad to hear things are going well with your training. So exciting to hear that you got to meet Yanti! Everyone else, great races and training!

I'll try to do better at keeping up from now on. This group has meant so much to me.

Cathy

2009-09-21 7:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi Manatees!

Glad to hear everyone is hanging in there and making progress in all the "stuff" in your lives.

I'm still getting my workouts in when I can, a bike ride here and there, a 2 mile run tonight. I'll get back to a schedule as soon as I can....

I went to the eye doctor last week and got fitted for bifocal contacts. I didn't even know they existed. Actually, I only have one because my left eye doesn't do much. It looks normal, just doesn't work very well. Anyway, the first time I put it in at the doctor's office it took half and hour. The tech that was helping me was very patient but I'm sure she was happy when it was over. I know I was. After a couple of days it's getting much easier and I really like the fact that I don't have to deal with glasses all the time.

Have a great week everybody!

Art
2009-09-22 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Art - I have considered bifocal contacts.   I really only need reading glasses and a little correction in one eye for distance...very minimal though.   I wear bifocal glasses now (the kind without the line) because I absolutely have to have reading help, but it makes me ill to be teaching/reading with one child, have another ask a question and look up across the room at them.....gag...makes my head spin.    I will be interested to hear how you like them as time goes by. 

Sharie
2009-09-22 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2420170

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I'm going for the Lasik eye surgery Oct 22. Woo hoo! Can't wait to be done this business with contacts and glasses. ;-)
2009-09-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2420878

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
SpiritFire - 2009-09-22 6:53 PM I'm going for the Lasik eye surgery Oct 22. Woo hoo! Can't wait to be done this business with contacts and glasses. ;-)

you will LOVE it - it's truly life changing - i had it done a few years back, and am so glad i did!

2009-09-24 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2415830

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
givemashot - 2009-09-20 1:33 AM

Great job Amy!!!

congrats

2009-09-28 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
I need some advice from all of you Tri veterans.   What do you do now?   The tri season is basically over in my area so there will be no more races for me this year.   I am looking toward mid-May next year as my first tri for 2010.  I read an article here at BT the other day about increasing run speed and it mentioned something about "taking some well deserved time off".   Do you all take time off of training?   If you do, how do you not lose all the conditioning?    If you do take time off, when do you start up again?    I know from my 2 races that my run segment needs the most work.   Should I concentrate there over the winter months and run some 5K/10k races?

Thanks
2009-09-28 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2430465

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
What do I do now? I sell my business, sell my house, get my old job back in my old city, buy a new house in my old city, and move across the country! Who needs to train when all that is going on?!?
haha. Wait - I'm not joking though!

Sorry I know that's such a smart-arse answer - but I can't even think of training or next season right now. ;-)

An update: I have officially listed my business for sale and have some interest - I'm all excited because I was contacted today by a woman who is seriously interested - if all goes well, my business might be sold by the end of next week! OMG! This makes me so happy!

I have officially applied back to my old job in Calgary ... for now that's just a big waiting game. I could be moving in January, it might not be until April, who knows. And that's IF I get my old job back (although I anticipate no problems).

I am considering moving back sans job - but then won't be able to get a mortgage. So in the meantime I'll stay here, find work in a bookstore or something, and just ... wait. Hurry up and wait!

Waiting sucks. I am soooo restless.
2009-09-28 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2430465

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ranchrunner - 2009-09-28 5:03 PM I need some advice from all of you Tri veterans.   What do you do now?   The tri season is basically over in my area so there will be no more races for me this year.   I am looking toward mid-May next year as my first tri for 2010.  I read an article here at BT the other day about increasing run speed and it mentioned something about "taking some well deserved time off".   Do you all take time off of training?   If you do, how do you not lose all the conditioning?    If you do take time off, when do you start up again?    I know from my 2 races that my run segment needs the most work.   Should I concentrate there over the winter months and run some 5K/10k races?

Thanks

hi there

great question

from my experience, it seems like i do better if i have a goal to work toward - keep in mind, everyone is different, this is just me

there are some nice winter maintenance training plans here on BT and i'm sure elsewhere as well.  i've done ok with them, but i seem more motivated if i have a goal in mind

my best winter training was last year when i decided to kill two birds with one stone - have a goal to train for and to focus on improving my weakest area - the run

i guess it's also all about perspective - if you have a set goal in mind for next year, then train to be ready to be train for that event - if that makes sense. 

personally i try to not take too much time off training - again a personal thing, i lose motivation completely...one week turns into two....turns into three - again, just me

not sure if this was helpful or not
2009-09-28 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2430865

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
lastcall2003 - 2009-09-28 5:44 PM

ranchrunner - 2009-09-28 5:03 PM I need some advice from all of you Tri veterans.   What do you do now?   The tri season is basically over in my area so there will be no more races for me this year.   I am looking toward mid-May next year as my first tri for 2010.  I read an article here at BT the other day about increasing run speed and it mentioned something about "taking some well deserved time off".   Do you all take time off of training?   If you do, how do you not lose all the conditioning?    If you do take time off, when do you start up again?    I know from my 2 races that my run segment needs the most work.   Should I concentrate there over the winter months and run some 5K/10k races?

Thanks

hi there

great question

from my experience, it seems like i do better if i have a goal to work toward - keep in mind, everyone is different, this is just me

there are some nice winter maintenance training plans here on BT and i'm sure elsewhere as well.  i've done ok with them, but i seem more motivated if i have a goal in mind

my best winter training was last year when i decided to kill two birds with one stone - have a goal to train for and to focus on improving my weakest area - the run

i guess it's also all about perspective - if you have a set goal in mind for next year, then train to be ready to be train for that event - if that makes sense. 

personally i try to not take too much time off training - again a personal thing, i lose motivation completely...one week turns into two....turns into three - again, just me

not sure if this was helpful or not

x2

Previous off-seasons I either join a triathlon club and commit to making all their workouts (so there's the accountability) or I have a winter race that I plan to do. Like Bethie I need that motivation. ;-)
2009-09-29 11:22 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Darling Manatees. You have been so amazing, and your light and love continues to put hope in my life. I'm really just barely holding on right now ... but the kindness and encouraging words you put in my way keep my fingers firmly on the cliff edge!!!

Sharie--super congrats on the 2nd! Yes, winter is a great time to swim once in awhile, bike one in a while, and really focus on the run! Definitely follow a run-focused or even just running training plan with some swims and bikes thrown in for cross training. There are good ones here or on Runner's World ... Google will give you plenty of good stuff! Plan is important because you don't want to ramp up too much running too soon. Recipe for injury. Also, so glad you put your foot down with the hubby ... you need to take care of YOU because he isn't taking care of himself. I hope he decides to. Whatever happens, I am really proud of you and you have my love and prayers.

Amy--congrats on doing GREAT in the tri! If it was awesome/sucked/decent, that all kind of evens out to really good, I think most importantly you DID IT!!!

TR--that is some good news from you! Yes, the waiting game sucks. Believe me, I understand that. I look forward to our midnight trysts

Cathy--glad you are hanging in there with the family stuff. Boy, do I know about God's timing ... I'm sick of having patience but have accepted that answers come in God's time, not mine. In any case--your faith gives me hope when I don't feel like I have much of either.

Art--I'm glad you can see better now, unencumbered!

Lynn--so glad to see you checking in, continuing to encourage the Manatees ... and thanks.

And to my dearest Bethie Love--THANK YOU for holding me up and the Manatee fort down. I still cling to you in my dreams. You give the best hugs ever.

2009-09-29 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2432012

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: Alberta Bound
I wanted to share this video with you ... it's a song that has been close to my heart the past few years (since I've been away from home) and it's especially poignant now that I'm going home.

"No matter where I go ... this place will always be my home" - Indeed!

Even though I'm moving back to a city of 1.2 million people - I was raised on a farm, and this is my home. Alberta is my home. There's no denying. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhkcjxLCm8Y&feature=related

Paul Brandt, btw, is a super nice guy. I know him 2 ways:

First - he was a nurse before he ever became a singer. He worked at the Alberta Childrens Hospital in Calgary. After he quit to pursue his music career, he still came back to ACH when he could (he still lives on a ranch just outside of Calgary) ... I had a nephew who was very sick - spent the first year and a half of his life in ACH ... he was on the ward Paul used to work on.
I'd walk in to the ward to visit Tyler - to find Paul sitting in his room, on a chair, just his famous self and his guitar, singing to the babies. That's just what he did - for fun, to pass the time, as a good person. He hung out at the hospital singing. It was so touching.
Tyler passed away when he was 2 - but my memories of him are tied up in Paul Brandt's voice.

Second - Paul's dad is a paramedic in Calgary, and he worked in the dispatch centre the same time I worked as a police dispatcher (the centres were amalgamated, although the jobs were separate we all worked in the same room) ... Paul came up to visit his dad all the time - brought treats and coffee and stuff. He always shared, even though the police are the 'enemies' of EMS/Fire. ;-)

Nice guy all around - but aside from that, he pinned it. No matter where I go, this place will always be my home. And that's it.

And I won't be long before I'm home again!

Thanks Manatees, for indulging me. I'd like to clarify that I am *not* a country music fan - but certain artists touch my soul.

Corb Lund is another one that really speaks to me ... come on ... the name of his band is "The Hurtin' Albertans" !!!!!!
lol.

PS: Convoy is a good video too. Check it out.

ETA: I forgot to say: Just after the first chorus - there's a white clapboard building - that's my uncle's Ice Cream Shop. Well .. it's more like an antique unique store now - but he still has the old soda fountain. It's in Black Diamond, Alberta - about 90 minutes S/W of Calgary.

Edited by SpiritFire 2009-09-29 7:59 PM
2009-09-30 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Glad to hear from you Yanti...you continue to be in my prayers.

TR....loved the video.   My kids sat here and watched it with me and we all said it looks like Wyoming!   You sound so excited and happy to be making these changes in your life.   Did you get the business sold?

I am heading to Tucson for a few days.   Returning a dog that I bought for dh...it didn't work out well and I will not enter into the dog finding business again for him.    Will stay with my mom...taking the youngest ds....back next Tuesday.
2009-09-30 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2432012

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

TriAya - 2009-09-29 12:22 PM Darling Manatees. You have been so amazing, and your light and love continues to put hope in my life. I'm really just barely holding on right now ... but the kindness and encouraging words you put in my way keep my fingers firmly on the cliff edge!!!

Sharie--super congrats on the 2nd! Yes, winter is a great time to swim once in awhile, bike one in a while, and really focus on the run! Definitely follow a run-focused or even just running training plan with some swims and bikes thrown in for cross training. There are good ones here or on Runner's World ... Google will give you plenty of good stuff! Plan is important because you don't want to ramp up too much running too soon. Recipe for injury. Also, so glad you put your foot down with the hubby ... you need to take care of YOU because he isn't taking care of himself. I hope he decides to. Whatever happens, I am really proud of you and you have my love and prayers.

Amy--congrats on doing GREAT in the tri! If it was awesome/sucked/decent, that all kind of evens out to really good, I think most importantly you DID IT!!!

TR--that is some good news from you! Yes, the waiting game sucks. Believe me, I understand that. I look forward to our midnight trysts

Cathy--glad you are hanging in there with the family stuff. Boy, do I know about God's timing ... I'm sick of having patience but have accepted that answers come in God's time, not mine. In any case--your faith gives me hope when I don't feel like I have much of either.

Art--I'm glad you can see better now, unencumbered!

Lynn--so glad to see you checking in, continuing to encourage the Manatees ... and thanks.

And to my dearest Bethie Love--THANK YOU for holding me up and the Manatee fort down. I still cling to you in my dreams. You give the best hugs ever.

{{{HUGS!!}}}

2009-09-30 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2433122

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Alberta Bound
SpiritFire - 2009-09-29 8:52 PM I wanted to share this video with you ... it's a song that has been close to my heart the past few years (since I've been away from home) and it's especially poignant now that I'm going home. "No matter where I go ... this place will always be my home" - Indeed! Even though I'm moving back to a city of 1.2 million people - I was raised on a farm, and this is my home. Alberta is my home. There's no denying. ;-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhkcjxLCm8Y&feature=relatedPaul Brandt, btw, is a super nice guy. I know him 2 ways: First - he was a nurse before he ever became a singer. He worked at the Alberta Childrens Hospital in Calgary. After he quit to pursue his music career, he still came back to ACH when he could (he still lives on a ranch just outside of Calgary) ... I had a nephew who was very sick - spent the first year and a half of his life in ACH ... he was on the ward Paul used to work on. I'd walk in to the ward to visit Tyler - to find Paul sitting in his room, on a chair, just his famous self and his guitar, singing to the babies. That's just what he did - for fun, to pass the time, as a good person. He hung out at the hospital singing. It was so touching. Tyler passed away when he was 2 - but my memories of him are tied up in Paul Brandt's voice. Second - Paul's dad is a paramedic in Calgary, and he worked in the dispatch centre the same time I worked as a police dispatcher (the centres were amalgamated, although the jobs were separate we all worked in the same room) ... Paul came up to visit his dad all the time - brought treats and coffee and stuff. He always shared, even though the police are the 'enemies' of EMS/Fire. ;-) Nice guy all around - but aside from that, he pinned it. No matter where I go, this place will always be my home. And that's it. And I won't be long before I'm home again! Thanks Manatees, for indulging me. I'd like to clarify that I am *not* a country music fan - but certain artists touch my soul. Corb Lund is another one that really speaks to me ... come on ... the name of his band is "The Hurtin' Albertans" !!!!!! lol. PS: Convoy is a good video too. Check it out. ETA: I forgot to say: Just after the first chorus - there's a white clapboard building - that's my uncle's Ice Cream Shop. Well .. it's more like an antique unique store now - but he still has the old soda fountain. It's in Black Diamond, Alberta - about 90 minutes S/W of Calgary.

Loved the video TR!!

thank you for sharing

2009-09-30 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2434988

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ranchrunner - 2009-09-30 4:22 PM Glad to hear from you Yanti...you continue to be in my prayers.

TR....loved the video.   My kids sat here and watched it with me and we all said it looks like Wyoming!   You sound so excited and happy to be making these changes in your life.   Did you get the business sold?

I am heading to Tucson for a few days.   Returning a dog that I bought for dh...it didn't work out well and I will not enter into the dog finding business again for him.    Will stay with my mom...taking the youngest ds....back next Tuesday.

have a good trip Sharie!

2009-10-03 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2435351

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
OMG I'm so nervous. I met with the woman who is considering buying my business this morning ... and I really don't know how it went! ... UGH!

Cross your fingers for me. ;-)

On the upswing - I got another interested party email me yesterday ... so now this is TWO prospective buyers. Do I hear BIDDING WAR? lol ... doubtful.

I just wanted to share. So few people know I'm doing this - I think my mom and my best friend in Calgary are the only two who know all the details (besides the Manatees, of course, and most of CoJ).
2009-10-10 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2440905

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
SpiritFire - 2009-10-03 4:22 PM OMG I'm so nervous. I met with the woman who is considering buying my business this morning ... and I really don't know how it went! ... UGH! Cross your fingers for me. ;-) On the upswing - I got another interested party email me yesterday ... so now this is TWO prospective buyers. Do I hear BIDDING WAR? lol ... doubtful. I just wanted to share. So few people know I'm doing this - I think my mom and my best friend in Calgary are the only two who know all the details (besides the Manatees, of course, and most of CoJ).

Good Luck TR!

Be sure to let us know how it goes

2009-10-12 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC

TR where are you got an interesting email from 423 this morning Congrats!!

2009-10-12 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2455312

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Thanks Shawn.

For those who haven't seen my blog - he's referring to the official announcement I put out today (on a Thanksgiving Monday - hee hee) that my business is SOLD and as of Nov 2 - I am no longer the owner or operator!

I'm SO very excited!

The new owner is keeping me on as a contract teacher until the end of the year ... so at least I'm not completely unemployed. ;-)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

I'm roasting a duck. I'm very much looking forward to it. It smells sooooo yummy.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59