BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-05-30 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2069624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Evondo's group - CLOSED
I'm sure that this is after the fact - but 60 degrees seems perfect for just a jersey. I would not bring anything else (but maybe arm skins if you get cold easy).

2009-05-31 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Eric,

Do you lay out a training plan for the year?  Is so, how do you lay it out with regard to your races?  I guess I'm really curious to learn is if you do race simulations as part of your training plan.  I think your mentioned that you want to do a 1/2 IM this year.  Will you do a race similation of that 1/2 IM?  If so, how close to the actual race date will you do a race simulation?   

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by junthank 2009-05-31 5:06 PM
2009-05-31 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Question regarding a tingling sensation in my left pinky and ring fingers after riding.  Often I'll experience this on my longer rides.  Sometimes during the ride and sometimes that sensation will stick with me for over 24 hours after the ride.  Not painful - just annoying.  Any suggestions on how to address this?

Thanks.
2009-05-31 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2184040

User image

Master
Houston
I make an attempt at a training plan for the season, by season I mean from current time til my A-race. I say attempt because training plans are as much an art as a science. Things rarely go according to plan and depending on how good/bad things are going I make adjustments along the way.  To start I pick my A-race and work backwards, recovery every 4 weeks, race/taper/build/base phases.  When picking my other races I try to put them on recovery weeks but sometimes it doesn't work out so nicely. 

For a HIM it's nice to have a olympic ~4weeks out if possible but if not this is where I'd do my race simulation.  For me personally I don't go through all the sports because I treat the swim as a warmup but for others I coach they do all sports in one day.  I also try to do a race simulation 8 weeks out because this is where a decision can be made to repeat a base period or do a build period instead. For most beginner endurance athletes the answer to the build or base question is base but the simulation is still a good trial run for nutrition and pacing.

junthank - 2009-05-31 8:11 AM Eric,

Do you lay out a training plan for the year?  Is so, how do you lay it out with regard to your races?  I guess I'm really curious to learn is if you do race simulations as part of your training plan.  I think your mentioned that you want to do a 1/2 IM this year.  Will you do a race similation of that 1/2 IM?  If so, how close to the actual race date will you do a race simulation?   

Thanks

Jeff
2009-05-31 9:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by alsi071 2009-05-31 9:28 PM
2009-06-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2185232

Expert
Sarasota, FL
alsi071 - 2009-05-31 10:26 PM

I just completed my first race. It was exciting and it was fun.

First, I have to apologies for misinformation that I put on my training log. I've actually registered for try-a-tri distance. I was 100% sure that I clicked on sprit distance link when I was doing my online registration and I was very surprised this morning when I was looking for my race number. Anyway, It was only 42deg and I did not want to wait at registration desk to change it. I was too excited to wait in that line.

Second, I would like to say big THANK YOU to all of you. Your advices were very helpful.

As I already said, race was fun. It was cold, around 45deg. Race was 10 min late and I almost froze up waiting for my wave. Swim part was great. I was first out of the water and passed half of the people from the previous wave. Unfortunately, my first transition was terrible and nothing went the way I wanted. I’ve practiced at home but I guess nothing compares to a real race. Bike part was not bad. Until now, most of my biking consisted of indoor trainer and spinning classes. Real road is definitely something different. Run was short, but challenging. and mostly uphill. I had to slow down after 500m because my HR went too high.

Anyway,I am happy with what I did today and it was a great experience. 

Congra's.  Bet you can't wait until the next one.

2009-06-01 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2185232

Master
Houston
Congrats on the race! Sounds like you paced the race well and had fun! You going to try and throw another sprint in your schedule before August?

alsi071 - 2009-05-31 9:26 PM

I just completed my first race. It was exciting and it was fun.

First, I have to apologies for misinformation that I put on my training log. I've actually registered for try-a-tri distance. I was 100% sure that I clicked on sprit distance link when I was doing my online registration and I was very surprised this morning when I was looking for my race number. Anyway, It was only 42deg and I did not want to wait at registration desk to change it. I was too excited to wait in that line.

Second, I would like to say big THANK YOU to all of you. Your advices were very helpful.

As I already said, race was fun. It was cold, around 45deg. Race was 10 min late and I almost froze up waiting for my wave. Swim part was great. I was first out of the water and passed half of the people from the previous wave. Unfortunately, my first transition was terrible and nothing went the way I wanted. I’ve practiced at home but I guess nothing compares to a real race. Bike part was not bad. Until now, most of my biking consisted of indoor trainer and spinning classes. Real road is definitely something different. Run was short, but challenging. and mostly uphill. I had to slow down after 500m because my HR went too high.

Anyway,I am happy with what I did today and it was a great experience. 

2009-06-04 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2185945

Master
Houston
Is it Friday yet? Seems like work's been so busy time's been flying but the weekend isn't here yet...

Semi-daily(ish) question... Have you ever had to deal with an injury during training?  If, so how did you recover and get back to 100%?

Thankfully I haven't had any injuries that have lasted more than a day or two with triathlons. I generally take the overcautious route and as soon as my ankle,knee or whatever feels weird I go easy/off for a few days.  When I was a sophomore in highschool I tore my rotator cuff from overuse through swimming. I spend 8 months after that with no swimming what-so-ever just kicking with a board and fins while going to physical therapy. It was the worst season ever to be just kicking day in and out but I learned my lesson, avoiding is better than pushing that limit.
2009-06-05 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2195186

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-06-04 2:07 PM Is it Friday yet? Seems like work's been so busy time's been flying but the weekend isn't here yet...

Semi-daily(ish) question... Have you ever had to deal with an injury during training?  If, so how did you recover and get back to 100%?

Thankfully I haven't had any injuries that have lasted more than a day or two with triathlons. I generally take the overcautious route and as soon as my ankle,knee or whatever feels weird I go easy/off for a few days.  When I was a sophomore in highschool I tore my rotator cuff from overuse through swimming. I spend 8 months after that with no swimming what-so-ever just kicking with a board and fins while going to physical therapy. It was the worst season ever to be just kicking day in and out but I learned my lesson, avoiding is better than pushing that limit.

TGIF - day late on my response but it is indeed Friday.

Injury - I've been very fortunate with my health.  No significant injuries yet - knock on wood.  Early in my training I had problems with both my calves and knees.  Not major problems, just kness hurting and pull/cramping calf muscles.  I solved both.  For the knees, I invested $'s in real running shoes.  Knee problem went away immediately - well worth every penny I spent.  For the calves, I started doing standing calf raises.  Simple, simple exercise that takes no more than 5 minutes to do after a workout.  It turns out the the cramping was due to weakness in the calves - one week of calf raises and the problem was solved.

So nothing major like rotator cuff surgery.  BTW - from the looks of your swim times it looks like the doctors inserted an "extra swim speed gear" in your shoulder!!!!

Edited by junthank 2009-06-05 9:11 AM
2009-06-07 1:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
I had a god race yesterday - race report is in the works. I improved by about 5 minutes from last year and this ironman training is deffinately improving my endurance - but I had trouble bring my speed in the run ( my run was faster than last year).

This was not a cardio problem - I had 10 - 15 heart beats that I could give but the legs just were not wanting to move faster. After about 3 miles into the 10 k I was able to pick it up a little. I think this is a mental toughness issue as much as anything.

I have never finished a race feeling this good - meaning I should have / could have pushed a lot harded. Still, I am happy with the improvement (5 plus mintues faster in the bike - 23.1 MPH ave - and 2 minutes faster in the run 7:27 avreage - my swim was better also but the course was short last year).
2009-06-08 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2200192

Expert
Sarasota, FL
microspawn - 2009-06-07 2:29 PM I had a god race yesterday - race report is in the works. I improved by about 5 minutes from last year and this ironman training is deffinately improving my endurance - but I had trouble bring my speed in the run ( my run was faster than last year). This was not a cardio problem - I had 10 - 15 heart beats that I could give but the legs just were not wanting to move faster. After about 3 miles into the 10 k I was able to pick it up a little. I think this is a mental toughness issue as much as anything. I have never finished a race feeling this good - meaning I should have / could have pushed a lot harded. Still, I am happy with the improvement (5 plus mintues faster in the bike - 23.1 MPH ave - and 2 minutes faster in the run 7:27 avreage - my swim was better also but the course was short last year).

Impressive performance.  Congrat's.

2009-06-08 8:58 AM

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Eric,

How did I guess that you would do the swim portion of the relay (Dah)!!!  Congra's on the 1st place finish!!! 

Man, I'm surrounded by a couple fast dudes (you and James) in this mentoring group.
2009-06-09 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2200192

Master
Houston
Sorry a little late, I've been swamped...

Awesome race, congrats! Huge improvement over a years time, you're going to kill the rest of this year... you still considering Longhorn to wrap the season up?

microspawn - 2009-06-07 1:29 PM I had a god race yesterday - race report is in the works. I improved by about 5 minutes from last year and this ironman training is deffinately improving my endurance - but I had trouble bring my speed in the run ( my run was faster than last year). This was not a cardio problem - I had 10 - 15 heart beats that I could give but the legs just were not wanting to move faster. After about 3 miles into the 10 k I was able to pick it up a little. I think this is a mental toughness issue as much as anything. I have never finished a race feeling this good - meaning I should have / could have pushed a lot harded. Still, I am happy with the improvement (5 plus mintues faster in the bike - 23.1 MPH ave - and 2 minutes faster in the run 7:27 avreage - my swim was better also but the course was short last year).
2009-06-09 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2205343

Master
Houston
Recently my old crank bolts seized up to the point where I had to dremel one of them off so figured I needed a new crank before my 1/2 attached one falls off and I go into another ditch!

So my P2SL got some new hardware.... LINK

Pretty excited, I love the look of that crank!
2009-06-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2201591

Master
Houston
Thanks! Yep I was kind of forced into swimming, it was over with so quickly felt like I needed to do more!

Fast is all relative, one of my favorite things about this sport no matter where you are at there's always someone better.  It always amazes me how many levels of fitness there are, just when I think I'm 'fit' I look at some race results and am dumbfounded!

junthank - 2009-06-08 8:58 AM Eric,

How did I guess that you would do the swim portion of the relay (Dah)!!!  Congra's on the 1st place finish!!! 

Man, I'm surrounded by a couple fast dudes (you and James) in this mentoring group.
2009-06-10 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2205386

Who you telling, I look at you guys' logs and wonder will I ever get there?  Then I think I am so glad you are on my team.  Wink.   Congrats!!

evondo - 2009-06-09 1:48 PM Thanks! Yep I was kind of forced into swimming, it was over with so quickly felt like I needed to do more!

Fast is all relative, one of my favorite things about this sport no matter where you are at there's always someone better.  It always amazes me how many levels of fitness there are, just when I think I'm 'fit' I look at some race results and am dumbfounded!

2009-06-10 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2205386

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-06-09 1:48 PM

Eric,

Good point about fast being all relative!!!....  I got this quote from a wise person when I 1st started training. 

"If you remain consistent and positive you will improve relative to yourself - there’s value in seeing the return from our own efforts.  So it’s best to evaluate how you do relative to yourself".  

He went on to say that in life there are always going to be people that are faster, richer, better looking (you name it) than ourselves.  So its a game that you can never win.  Remembering this has help me a great deal.
2009-06-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2207196

Extreme Veteran
junthank - 2009-06-10 8:59 AM

He went on to say that in life there are always going to be people that are faster, richer, better looking (you name it) than ourselves.  So its a game that you can never win.  Remembering this has help me a great deal.

I really try to only judge myself against myself - and even that can be unhealthy. What happens when you don't improve? I try to keep everything in perspective.

Anyway - I had a GOOD race last weekend (not great - I have lots of room for improvement) but I did post a really fast bike time for me (23.1) and I mentally beat some of my swim demons. Also I did a bike TT on Tuesday morning and bested my previous best by 1:36 - HUGE.

RACE REPORT: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2009-06-10 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2207270

Expert
Sarasota, FL
microspawn - 2009-06-10 10:19 AM
junthank - 2009-06-10 8:59 AM
  What happens when you don't improve? 

Very interesting question James.  I guess all of us are going to face that situation at some point along our TRI'ing journeys.  Since I'm just starting out I'm experiencing improvements constantly.  I'm certain that as I progress those improvements in speed and endurance will get smaller and smaller and will occur less frequently.  For me, perhaps the answer for continuing to train when I no longer show improvement will be the mental and physical wellness that it provides.  Don't know, will have to see when I get there!!!

Edited by junthank 2009-06-10 10:45 AM
2009-06-15 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2207551

Master
Houston
Happy Monday all! From looking at some of the logs there were some great training sessions and even a race, congrats to James! Let us know when a race report is up

While on my long ride this weekend I noticed one guy struggling to keep up with the group and he kept saying his legs were fried and after the ride he talked about doing a 6mi run after the bike.  In my opinion he should have called the day good enough, went home and rested up.  Question for you guys/gals... at what point do you call a workout? Does bagging a workout early make you feel bad?

I've had to call a few workouts early even though I try not to reach that point. I normally feel pretty crappy which is part of why I stopped early but also because I feel I should be able to complete the workout and the fact I didn't means something's wrong.  A while after the workout I just keep reminding myself this is for the best and try to get mentally re-focused on the next workout and decide how I'm going to tackle that one even though it's 12-24hrs away
2009-06-15 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2218089

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-06-15 10:55 AM 

Question for you guys/gals... at what point do you call a workout? Does bagging a workout early make you feel bad?

"At what point do you call a workout"... The advice I got from the book "Going Long" was.... "Make sure you can hit tomorrow's training. If you need to back off today, to train tomorrow then do it".  So, for me I try to never do anything in today's workout that will compromise tommorows workout.  If I do I call it a day.  I'm early in my TRI'ing journey (not in age ) so training consistency is key for me. 

"Make you feel bad"... I don't know about feeling bad... but I might feel a little dissappointed in myself in that particular moment.  By the next workout  I'm over it.  There is nothing I can do about the past so I try and move on.

I've had to call a few workouts early even though I try not to reach that point. I normally feel pretty crappy which is part of why I stopped early but also because I feel I should be able to complete the workout and the fact I didn't means something's wrong.  A while after the workout I just keep reminding myself this is for the best and try to get mentally re-focused on the next workout and decide how I'm going to tackle that one even though it's 12-24hrs away

I think we are saying the same thing!!!

Edited by junthank 2009-06-15 6:12 PM

2009-06-15 5:01 PM

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Eric,

Question for you and others in the group that are familar with OWS's in the Gulf/Ocean/Bay.  Up until this past weekend I have done all my swim workouts in a pool despite the fact that I live < 10miles from the Gulf of Mexico.  This weekend I did my 1st OWS in the Gulf.  Very interesting experience.... actually I kind of liked it!!!  My question is about sighting.  I had a difficult time doing this.  It was choppy out there so outside of just stopping and taking a look around I had problems.  Any advice?
2009-06-19 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2218089

For me it just depends,  there are certain activities I like more than others: I prefer swimming, to running to biking, in that order, so sometimes I may struggle through a particular segment, but somehow find the energy to do a more enjoyable segment.

But I call a workout after I have questioned myself, usually a series that goes a little something like
  • Are you truly tired or just don't feel like doing this (Attitude affects everything)?
  • There are only x more reps, miles, minutes, to go, are you sure you can't continue? 
  • What if perhaps you slow down the pace just a little bit, maybe you are pushing yourself too hard?
  • Are you in pain (that signifies possible injury as opposed to soreness)?
  • Do you feel like you will hurt yourself if you continue?
But in this guys case, it leaves me wondering, if he hates biking and prefers running, or just needed external motivation/encouragement.  I don't see how your legs can be fried during the bike ride and then you turn around and want to run for 6 miles.  

evondo - 2009-06-15 10:55 AM Happy Monday all! From looking at some of the logs there were some great training sessions and even a race, congrats to James! Let us know when a race report is up

While on my long ride this weekend I noticed one guy struggling to keep up with the group and he kept saying his legs were fried and after the ride he talked about doing a 6mi run after the bike.  In my opinion he should have called the day good enough, went home and rested up.  Question for you guys/gals... at what point do you call a workout? Does bagging a workout early make you feel bad?

Edited by BiafraGirl 2009-06-19 12:13 PM
2009-06-27 7:33 AM

Does anyone now how to get to get the link to Twitter to work? Please let me know.
2009-06-27 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2246958

Clicking on update privacy settings will do the trick
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10