General Discussion Race Reports! » Hawthorne Farm Athletic Club Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hawthorne Farm Athletic Club Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hillsboro, Oregon
United States
Tri Northwest
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 12s
Overall Rank = 27/206
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/26
Pre-race routine:

Stayed overnight in hotel in Hillsboro. Woke up early, setup both transitions since T-2 was 2 miles from T-1. Helped another racer pump her tire up and break the valve stem (great) so spent 15 minutes trying to pry the tire off the rim (old) which broke both my levers. Gave her my spare tube, she got a real biker to help. I went back to hotel, picked up my wife and daughter so they could cheer me on. Needless to say, the bike tire incident added a level of stress that was not needed. But trying to help a fellow racer is what makes this sport fun.
Swim
  • 07m 58s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well hopefully others will be courteous when they submit their seed times. 3 of us were all fairly equal and close to our projections, it was the 1 guy that we had to pass 3 times (3 times) in 10 laps. Needless to say a 12 minute pace guy sharing a lane with 8-9 minute people is very disruptive. Oh well, fun to have that experience.
What would you do differently?:

Not worry too much about catching people and then feeling bad for tapping their feet.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

First race that was > 50 degrees. So no need to gear up, just toss on a jersey, shoes, helmet and go.

Invest in a tri-top. Getting a dry jersey on a wet torso wasn't too much fun.
Bike
  • 37m 29s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 21.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the course, drove it before hand so had a feel for the hills, corners, etc. Would have liked to pre-ride but being from out of town, hard to do. Overall, played leapfrog with one guy on the hill, I'd catch him, pass him then but then he'd fly by me on the downhills then never saw him again.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Since this was different location that T-1, I almost forgot where my running shoes were but luckily I only passed 1 rack and then saw my green towel.

memorize the Transition area, especially on a point-to-point
Run
  • 22m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Learn to run faster....Nice course, flat.
Post race
Warm down:

Sweet beer glass with the Farm logo with crystal clear cold water handed to you during the exit chute. Nice touch.

Event comments:

So far, of the 3 races, this was the best organized, lots of volunteers, great course, would definately do again if I lived in Oregon.

Last updated: 2008-10-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:58 | 500 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/206
Performance:
10 lap swim with 4 people per lane
Suit:
Course: 10 lap swim, circle at 5 second interval for 4 people per lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:29 | 13.2 miles | 21.13 mile/hr
Overall: 31/206
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Point to point, first mile through the city then out to the country roads. Few rollers and about mile 5-7 was a climb, not too difficult, except the last 1/2 mile was a decent grade. Since I ride a Tri-bike, didn't have a bail out gear so burnt the legs on the last section. But was rewarded with a nice long downhill, then rollers to the finish. About mile 8 on the downhill, be careful of the raised railroad tracks that are part of an active line. Course officials were there warning you of the major hump plus in case a train came....
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:39 | 03.1 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 41/206
Performance: Average
Course: Flat course around the stadium and down a closed road. Couple of u-turns so you could easily see who was catching you or you were way behind. Finish line was top-notch, in the Stadium, on the turf field, with plenty of refreshements at the end.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-07 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: Hawthorne Farm Athletic Club Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hawthorne Farm Athletic Club Triathlon Rss Feed