Premier Event Management
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 55m 58s
Overall Rank = 814/3000
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 122/244
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at what seemed like way too early. My alarm did not even go off. I got up, turned jumped in the shower and put on my race gear. I had put all of my gear by the door the night before, all I needed was my drinks from the fridge. I grabbed em' and loaded the car. I was in the same room with my dad and cousin so I had to wait on them to get done. I made some oatmeal, ate a bananna and drank a cup of coffee and then we headed out.
Event warmup:

I had to run a little to make it to the swim start in time. There were shuttle busses that were supposed to take folks from transition to the swim start but the lines were insanely long. After about 20 minutes of not really moving ahead at all I told my dad that we should just walk. He ended up walking and I ran because I still had to pick up my chip and get my wetsuit on.
Swim
  • 40m 17s
  • 1829 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a tough swim for me. The conditions on the lake could not have been more perfect. The water was still and was not too cold etc. etc. Anyways, my problem was that people kept swimming on top of me, kicking me grabbing my legs, you name it. I ended up just swimming away from the pack closer to shore so that I could get out of the bunch. After I did this I was actually able to get into some sort of rythm.
What would you do differently?:

Not start right in the middle of the pack.
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

This was the largest transition area I have ever seen. I knew exactly where my stuff was though as I had made note of some landmarks that I could easily find.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike course was going great for me until I hit the last 6 or 7 miles. On the last turn I turned right into the wind and it seemed to just kick into high gear. It took all of my effort to maintain a 17mph pace. Up until this point I had a 21.5 avg pace for the course and this last leg took me down a bit. Other than that the bike course was not too tough. You just really have to pay attention for things in the road on this course.

nothing.
Transition 2
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

My head was completely blank at this point. My brain was gone. I had a fuel-belt that I forgot to take, forgot to drink my drink I had made specifically to give me a boost on the run course, forgot to put blister block on my feet (which I paid for dearly), I think there was more but those were the major things I forgot. I think one reason I fogot alot of things is because I needed to pee really badly. I ran straight to the porta-potty and then headed out on the run.

Not forget stuff.
Run
  • 2h 16m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a good run for me. The temps went way up on the run. The sun came out and beat me down. I'm not really sure why this run was so hard for me but I just had nothing more to give. Around mile 5 I noticed that my feet were both starting to blister up.... this is when I remembered that I forgot to put on my blister block. I have 7 nice fat blisters, my wife won't go anywhere near em. I'll bet I never forget to do that again.

Put on blister block.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and then headed for the food and beer tents. I got some pizza and 2 beers. Then went back to the car to sleep for a while. We were parked in a spot where we could not get out until the racers started to thin out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

I have never seen so many police cars and officers as in this race. There were streets blocked off for miles. It was pretty cool to see.

Last updated: 2008-11-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:17 | 1829 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/244
Overall: 0/3000
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless Zoot
Course: Point to point about 150 yards from shore. We were to stay on the shore side of the bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:47 | 56 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Single loop course. Fairly flat with hills on bridges and overpasses. You really had to pay attention on the bike course as there were some sections of road that were not ideal. All in all though it was ok.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:20
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:16:39 | 13.1 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Point to point run that ended in the French Quarter in front of Jackson Square.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-08 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Subject: Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2009-04-09 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2072654

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
Awesome job toughing out that run.  Great race!
2009-04-09 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

Well done!!!!!  I lived in New Orleans for a while and have thought this is a race I might want to add to my calendar within the next couple of years.  The swim didn't sound fun.

Have you had problems with blisters before?  I've only had them once and man was it painful. Hope to never go there again.

Do you think you missed a little on your nutrition?

Enjoy your week off.

2009-04-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2075022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
It was a great race and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

The swim was ok, I just don't like people swimming over me. 

I have not really had alot of problems with blisters.  This may be due to the fact that after I got a nice big fat one right before one of my half mary's I started to use anti chaffing product for my feet and toes.  I just forgot to put it on that day.  Yeah, it sucked not having my own nutrition, especially since I had prepared it.  I definitely learned several lessons from this one. Smile
2009-04-10 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Great job.  Congrats. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed