General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 34s
Overall Rank = 512/775
Age Group = clydes
Age Group Rank = 35/60
Pre-race routine:

woke up,, stared at the alarm and wondered how many times I could hit the snooze and still make it in time. that's the great thing when your rack space is reserved by number, there is no reason to get there early to fight for a space

had three 220 calories ensures
Event warmup:

got in the water for a decent 4-5 min swim, the water was much warmer also. getting out I stepped on something and cut the bottom of my foot pretty bad though. :(
Swim
  • 18m 14s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

My packet sticker read that clydes got a pink cap, so that's what the lady gave me. Once I was with the group I could see that I was the only pink cap. Of course I got stopped 4-5 times heading into the water by officials or staff asking if I was in the correct wave. This really didn't bother me it just showed that they noticed and would speak up. It also made me laugh at myself a bit.
the swim was actually really good, I again started way left and at the gun went off and a decent pace but not all out, I didnt bother sighting but started to notice fewer people to my right so when I did look up I was almost on top of the turn buoy, which meant I swam straight for the entire first part with out sighting. (cool) made my left turn and attempted to find someone to draft off of but I didnt' want to swim over to someone and lose my sighting peeps. I was up in the back of early wave now and had to swim around some people, out of no where i got slammed in the side of the head, easily the hardest I've been hit in the swim, this guy was flounder pretty bad so it really didnt' slow me down.. I did look up to sight a few times since there were fewer people on my right, but I was swimming very straight today, I attempted to draft a couple of times but I could easily pass the person when I wasn't in their draft zone so I knew it wasn't really worth it.. by the last turn buoy I was catching some people at the end of 2 waves ahead of me.
I really was surprised when I got out of the water and saw my time, for the amount of people I passed I thought I'd be a min faster for being in salt water and wearing a wetsuit then again I didn't push really hard till the last buoy. but the time seemed slow to me
What would you do differently?:

nothing i was really happy that I was swimming straight
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

again just an easy stroll up to the strippers, pointed at the biggest guy there while yelling at him, flopped to the ground and blammo it was off

at least make an attempt to jog a bit
Bike
  • 1h 36m 9s
  • 28 miles
  • 17.47 mile/hr
Comments:

So I had my computer working today.. once I got to the seawall I couldnt' tell if we had a headwind or not,, I didnt' think so.. I just couldn't settle in to a nice smooth cadence. I'd look down at my speed/power and just thought my legs were sore from yesterday.. I figured it is what it is and I wasn't going to let my pace (or lack of ) bother me. right before the turn around while sitting up to drink someone passed me, that I knew was going my pace if I wasn't drinking,, right then it finally hit me that I was in a race and could legally draft so that's what I attempted to do up to the turn around.

But this guy was a true triathlete, I was doing my best to stay just inside the white line on the road and he was going 2-3 feet to the left then right.. just weaving all over. What got my attention was how much my wattage dropped, when I was behind him. (Duh I knew this) so after the turnaround I noticed that my speed went up 2mph and my watts dropped quite a bit so I guess there was a tailwind, so the entire way back I made an effort to push it more, since I knew my run was going to suck anyway... then I started playing drafting games.. i would get right up on someone either before they passed me or I passed them to watch my PM and see them actual difference in power when you are drafting. I was actually shocked to say the least since it's quite considerable.. in fact once I was behind someone and I'd get right up on their wheel for a few seconds to see, then coast back to the legal range to see the numbers, then get all the way out of the draft to watch it jump. Since I wasn't in racing shape and just out having fun I thought why not learn something.

I can honestly say this. I'm surprised I didnt' get a drafting penalty. The one time I was most likely too close in the draft area watching my wattage, I looked over and the official was on the stealth goldwing, no noise at all.. So I sped up and passed everyone in front of me, but I have no idea how long they were there. I looked to see if I had a penalty after but didn't so I got lucky since honestly while I was trying to be the right distance there were times I wasn't and one of those was when the official come up. I wasn't out to be a jerk drafting just playing with my PM, but in hindsight, other people wouldn't know that and I really shoudnt have been doing it.

Plus when I was closing in on t2, i got out of my shoes but my foot slipped off the shoe, the shoe catches the ground and off pops my shoe.. I stopped turned around to see someone going for it, while people are yelling at him not to touch it.. I yelled to him to just toss it to me and this guy had a great arm, I made like T.O. and dropped it off course, so I was mr penalty today ,, but nothing

not screw around so much
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

not much going on.. I thought about putting the socks on that I brought since these are new shoes but didn't.. big mistake since both heels were bloodied by the end

do backflips
Run
  • 1h 08m 2s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

blah.. just ran an easy pace,, took a walk break or two in the aid stations.. right around mile four I noticed that I could pick it up and break 3hrs.. of course I forgot that this is a 6.5 course not 6 miles even. but my picking up the pace only lasted about 3-4 min and that was it.. then I took a walk break when ever I felt like... Ahh the joys of not running for 3 weeks

train
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, got some food. talked with some BT'ers and people from my master swim group. then got ready to go.. as I was leaving Todd & Jenny shouted out to me so I got to say hello and cheer some people coming in off their bikes,, then I was off to change and get on the road home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the month of march

Event comments:

I've done Lonestar 3 times and Longhorn twice,, I really like Keith's races

Last updated: 2009-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:14 | 1056 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/60
Overall: 231/775
Performance:
Suit:
Course: half a rectangle. shorter beginning, 90 deg left, long part, 90 deg left back to shore
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:36:09 | 28 miles | 17.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/60
Overall: 535/775
Performance:
nada
Wind: Some
Course: up to the sea wall then an out and back course..
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:02 | 06.5 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/60
Overall: 522/775
Performance: Below average
Course: twisty turnie
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-08 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2009-04-09 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2072668

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter
It's all fun and games with a power meter until someone gets a drafting penalty!  Sounds like you had a fun race.
2009-04-09 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Nice swim!  Good thing TO was there to toss you the shoe  
2009-04-09 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I love your attitude.  I hope that I can emulate that this year when my 'races' come around.  The idea is to have fun and learn from them without getting stressed out and/or injured.  You knew that life has gotten in the way of your training lately and just did what you knew you could do with what you had.  Kudos to you.

Still wish I could swim like you.......
2009-04-10 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Nice race report!  lol...  Good to hear that you had fun. 

P.S.  You're not getting traded to "North America's Team" are you? Laughing
2009-04-10 9:59 AM

User image

Elite
Texas

Nice race(s) Gary! Sorry I missed you... Had to get the little dude home. That wind was giving him problems.

2009-04-10 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
nicely done gary! thanks for the chuckles in the report...you're greatness!!
2009-04-10 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Nice race .  That was an awesome swim.
2009-04-13 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
TO!!! You know I love TO!!!

Hey - it was good to see you!  Good race!  Just don't get hurt before IMKY!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed