United States
NCTS
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 23m 43s
Overall Rank = 295/323
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 27/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up to a torrential down pour with a head cold. Took a hot shower to relax and clear my head and ate a peanut butter and honey sandwhich with 16 oz of Acclerade. When I arrived at the race site it was still raining and the transition area was about 4 inches deep in water so much for keeping anything dry. Setup my gear in transition area the best I could given the conditions and proceded to head to the checkin area to pickup my timing chip.
At this point I realized I was wearing my running shoes and they were completly soaked. After I checked-in and got everything together I headed back out to the transition area to put my running shoes in place. Since I had about 3 hours till my start time I went to the pool to watch some of the other competitors.
Event warmup:

About 30 minutes before my start time I went to the warm-up pool and swam about 200 yards.
Swim
  • 05m 2s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pool swim was ok. I had a jerk in front of me that kept speeding up everytime I started to pass eventhough I was grabbing at his ankles the entire time. If I had been able the pass I would have easily dropped 30+ seconds off my time.
What would you do differently?:

Swim over the guy infront of me.
Transition 1
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

.25 mile run from the exit of the pool to the transition area over gravel, mud and parking lot. Once at my bike I was able to quickly throw on my helmet and shoes and head out. Since it was so wet and muddy there was no way to clean my feet. Had to run through 6 inches of water and mud through the transition area and out across the timing mats. Mount went fine just need to work on getting in to my clips a little faster.

put shoes or sandles at the exit to the pool.
Bike
  • 36m 40s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty solid bike leg just wish I could have pushed the pace up a little bit higher.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Again very wet transition with very wet running shoes. Tried to put on wet socks with no luck so decided to go sock less, very bad idea.
Run
  • 36m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was absolutly terrible. To start my shoes were very wet and very heavy so off the bat my brick legs felt even heavier. I came out of the transition area too fast and my heart rate shot through the roof and I had to stop and walk the first .25 miles.

When I got started running the weight of my shoes really made keeping any kind of good pace difficult. At the mile 1 marker I could feel the blisters starting to form and things just went down hill. I pushed through walking and running to get to the end. When I finally got my shoes off I had 5 bloody blisters on my insteps.

Somehow try to have dry shoes and socks.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down and a nice big hug from my wife and daughter. It was wonderful to share this first expirence with my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditions.

Event comments:

Given the weather conditions I thought the race was run and organized very well. They had something like 100 volunteers not show up because of the weather and still were able to get everything going on time.

Last updated: 2004-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:02 | 300 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/32
Overall: 115/323
Performance: Average
This time includes getting out of the pool, going down 2 flights of stairs and out the door.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:40 | 12.4 miles | 20.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/32
Overall: 234/323
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course was nice loop over paved streets with little traffic and no hills.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:01 | 03.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/32
Overall: 316/323
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat course along the sidewalks at the university.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-03 10:09 PM

User image

Cary, NC
Subject: Azalea Festival Triathlon

2005-04-03 10:26 PM
in reply to: #137534

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Azalea Festival Triathlon
I was there as well. Those of us with later start times (I was at 10:38) had a better race. The weather cleared a bit.

If you can make it through that tough first race, you can do ANYTHING! I personally LOVED the swamp right at the start of the run. I, too, went without socks. Also enjoying lovely blisters. Frankly, I don't think wet socks would have helped much.

I'm sure you are proud of yourself and you should be. Hope you've celebrated your success with your family and then rested and basked in your first triathlon!!!

Will you be doing another one? I'm considering the Kure Beach Double Sprint in late June.
2005-04-04 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Both you guys rock!  Congrats on braving the weather and finishing!  After doing this one, all the rest should be easy.    Well, maybe not easy, but less of a challenge.  Heal up those feet.  Looking forward to running into you in one of these tris coming up.  Congrats to the wife too for hanging by out in the weather.  Setup does run great races.  Was the food support after the race pretty good?  Aside from some garbage bags or those plastic walmart bags, there's not much more I can think of to help out the dryness situation.  Congrats on your finish!
2005-04-04 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
That's the way to be tough, Chris!

Congratulations on finishing in some terrible conditions, and congratulations on your first Triathlon! You had a very good performance, even the run. Nobody will have a great running experience in those conditions.

Next stop, Kerr Lake Olympic Tri! I'm looking forward to racing with you! If I don't run into you at the Y, or out on the roads somewhere, I'll see you there!

Great job, buddy!
2005-04-04 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Great race in such tough conditions! Hope you have dried out by now! Maybe we can meet at one of the NC races this year! Are you doing Triangle?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Azalea Festival Triathlon Rss Feed