Charlottesville Running Co.
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 27m 32s
Overall Rank = 25/103
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this race to serve as my "get your butt in gear" run. Winter training had been, well, not much training at all. I was lacking long runs and hills, with MMT 100 looming ever closer. So what better way to prepare than to head to the same state where MMT will be and run a hilly course? Turns out, I think it was fantastic prep... it was rocky! Ok, not all of it, there were some really nice portions, but other sections were like crossing rock fields.

2 days before the race I finally looked up directions... and realized it would be ~7 hours driving each way. Oops. That didn't seem like a good idea, but I'd already reg'd and paid. That night I packed up everything I would need for a couple days. Friday after work, I began the long drive down to VA, near the Charlottesville area. Having not gotten enough sleep all week, I only made it 40 miles before needing to stop for coffee. I picked at the food I had packed for lunch, as well as some munchies I had bought the night before for the drive down. Many hours and a couple stops later I was close enough to the start that I decided to stop for the night. Found a hotel, got a (too expensive) room and grabbed <6 hours of sleep.
Run
  • 11h 27m 32s
  • 50 miles
  • 13m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

By 5am I was checked out and making the last 30 minutes of driving to the race start. Got there and parked just after 5:30a, then went to grab my packet and shirt. It was chilly and damp enough that I wound up just relaxing in my car listening to music to pass the time. When it was time for the pre-race briefing, I went back up to the pavilion and stood in front of the roaring fire, cooking the back of my legs. Ahhhhhh. "When you see these flags, you have 6 tenths of a mile to the finish. If you have anything left, don't take it home with you!! Bring it to the finish!" We climbed up onto the levee and after a bit more waiting, we were off! Slowly.

There were really 3 races starting at the same time: 25k, 50k and 50M. So more than 300 people trying to get onto the same segment of single track and going uphill made for a very slow first couple miles. Some stream crossings early on got my feet feeling rather refreshed. Too late I realized that my combination of shoes/socks did not drain water very well. After the first AS the pack started to thin out a little bit and I found some people to run behind at a good pace. At the second AS, somewhere around 7.7 miles, the 25k runners turned around and headed to the finish. I grabbed some Coke and oreos and continued on. The next segment was quite nice. Mostly downhill, and it was on a fireroad, so passing was not an issue. Chatted with a guy for a while as I ran down this segment. He'd run this race a couple times before, as well as another race that uses the same trails.

After a 5 mile descent we were at another AS and then running along a relatively flat crushed gravel/dirt road. Ok, not terribly scenic here, but no significant climbing. Actually, the lack of climbing for miles concerned me a bit. I thought the race website had said 8000' of climbing. Long flat parts in the middle had to mean that there would be brutally steep climbs later in the race. Not good. But for the moment, I was focused on moving forward. It looked like a lot of people were not well prepared or had gone out too hard and were walking the very gradual climbs on this road, so I was able to start slowly picking off runners in front of me and passing them.

Eventually we turned and headed back onto single track and another stream crossing. We had been told this section was mostly downhill to an unmanned aid station. There would be a password written there, so we could prove we had been there. Starting the hike back up, I pulled my camera out. I figured as long as I was going slow and stopping for runners coming downhill, I might as well take pictures of them. I was not able to get any scenic shots, as the whole area was shrouded in fog the whole day. Boo! So, just a few pics of the trail and runners. Back through the stream, to the AS, and headed out for another out-and-back segment.

This section started relatively flat - or so I thought. Running back I realized it was slightly sloped. Many stream crossings, 3+ miles of gradual uphill, then 2+ miles of uphill hiking to a guy with a cowbell (he was awesome) and the AS at the top of the hill. Grabbed some Coke, the most fabulous PB&J sammie ever and more gummy bears. After a quick bit of socializing, I took off tearing down the trail. Yes, trashing my quads in the process. I noticed that some runners were quite a ways behind me. Not good as I was 1 hour ahead of the cutoff; looked like some people would have to be pulled from the course. Back across 3 or 4 streams (up to my knees!), through the AS, and heading back along the same gravel road.

Ok, nevermind what I said before about it being flat! Ha! Ok, so I was flat or very gradual grade, but my legs were definitely starting to get tired, and even running up a 3% grade was very tiring. It was also getting a bit boring. I had been running solo for the last ~20 miles. Sure, I had seen other runners, but I wasn't running and talking to anyone. A guy with a yellow shirt came into view and I pushed a bit harder to catch up with him. After a mile or so I eventually caught up with him and the next AS too! More sugar and it was time to start another long climb.

Running down this section earlier in the day I hadn't realized we would have to go back up. Oh man, it was LONG. The first 2 miles were steady uphill, mostly too steep to run at this point. I quickly caught up with a guy and we chatted for a while. But after a mile I was feeling rejuvenated by my slowed pace and took off running up the hill. CHARGE!!! I continued walking and jogging up the hill. On and on. After an hour I started thinking I had to be getting close to the AS at the top. I just had to!! But with the winding trail and fog I could tell where the top was. Caught up with and passed another guy.

I was starting to feel really low on energy. I realized I probably had not been eating enough. My plan had been to "live off the land". Meaning I was carrying no food and subsisting entirely off of the aid station fare. Every other race I have always carried some gels just in case, but I opted to carry a camera for this race instead of food. I didn't think I'd be able to get in enough calories to feel good again, so the last 10 miles would be all about just trying to keep it together. Another 1/2 hour later and I was at the top. Finally! It had also started a very light rain. I lingered there, dreading the steep descents I knew I would have to cover to get to the next AS. Had more Coke, oreos, a Twinkie (awesomeness!!) and another handfull of gummy bears.

Whoever had told me the last 8 miles from that AS to the finish was all downhill had been lying through their teeth! Admittedly, there were no long climbs, but the next 3 or 4 miles were far from "all downhill". More like rolling. Up, down, up, flat, down, up. And rocks, lots of rocks. This section was the worst. Rock and boulder fields that I simply could not run across. Eventually I made it to the downhill. Did I say steep and treacherous? Rocky steep descent, with wet leaves, in the rain. Yup, I was walking. It took me nearly 1.5 hours to cover just over 5 miles.

The remaining 2.4 miles were relatively flat. No big uphills, no big downhills, but still very slow. Prior to the race, looking at previous times, I hoped to finish in 11.5 hours. Up to mile 30 or so, I had been running well and was thinking <11 hours seem quite likely. Now, I was pushing to finish under 11.5 hours. Though really, I was just looking forward to finishing, regardless of what time was on the clock. Running around the lake, out onto the road we drove in one, and finally I saw the flags indicating I was 0.6 miles from the finish. Yipee!! But there was nothing left in the tank, so I just kept at my slow jog. It was a great welcoming reception. The finish was set up on a slight rise that you ran past, then up and across the grass. Meaning they could see you coming the last 0.2 miles and get out the cowbell and cheer.
What would you do differently?:

More hill work before hand... duh!
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around chatting with the guy who finished a bit ahead of me, waiting for the next guy to finish. Had some of the best mac'n'cheese ever, then went to clean up and start the long drive home. Took of my soggy shoes and socks to find the bottoms of my feet had turned to marshmallows. After >11 hours in wet shoes, my feet were white and wrinkly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training. Didn't eat enough and started hitting the wall around mile 40.

Event comments:

Nice and challenging race. Cut-offs were a bit strict and I think this might account for the low number of finishers. Only 43 of 103 finished and I was the only finisher in my AG. Would like to go back on a day where there are views... couldn't see jack through the mist that hung around all day.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-02-25 12:00 AM
Running
11:27:32 | 50 miles | 13m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 25/103
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly and sometimes very rocky terrain with many stream crossings. But plenty of support along the way and crew access points meant random strangers cheering for you (seriously, crew for a 50M??)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes