General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross Fit, the new fast?!?!? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-11-28 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2533570

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Cross Fit, the new fast?!?!?
breckview - 2009-11-28 12:04 AM
mwunderle - 2009-09-20 6:36 PM Evan's journey will go a long way to identify how strong this protocol can be. 

Max
www.gotrimax.com
Since Evan is not listed among the IMAZ finishers I guess his journey didn't go all that far.

IMAZ results are a bit messed up 2010 athlete tracker has 2009, 2009 has 2008 etc.. but you are correct.. evan was a DNS
http://liveupdate.ironmanlive.com/ppv/newsearch.php?rid=265&y=2010&race=/events/ironman/arizona/&athlete=McGerald

2009-11-28 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2073577

User image

Champion
MA
Looks like he has Lyme's

From TriMax website

I personally have started doing Crossfit. I see it that gaining overall fitness and strength is good for me. How it effects me as a triathlete I'm not sure but don't see how it will hurt.

Mcgerald Struck Down With Lyme’s Disease

November 16, 2009

After a strong summer of multiple PRs and new found fitness brought on by Evan’s aggressive use of CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance, Evan McGerald’s road to Ironman Arizona was cut short upon learning of his contraction of Lyme’s disease.  Evan had been bitten by a tick in the mid summer but only recently learned via a blood test that he had been infected.  We wish Evan all the best for a quick recovery and new goals for 2010.

2010-01-13 12:34 PM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
Happy New Year, all.

At the risk of drawing more ire from posting information about CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance protocols, I thought I'd share some more personal experiences with some clients of mine who will be racing in various Ironmans and 70.3 races in 2010.  The blogs listed below feature athletes who will be training virtually exclusively on CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance and will be competing in the following races.

Ironman Japan
Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Ironman Lake Placid
REV3 Half Iron
Patriotman half iron
Timberman 70.3
Busselton half iron (Australia)

I encourage anyone interested in this protocol to review these blogs and see how they perform.  I think you'll enjoy their insights as well as potentially see that there are other ways to skin the half iron and full Ironman cat!

http://00stake.blogspot.com/
http://trimamma23.blogspot.com/
http://marcypicano.blogspot.com/
http://alegassa.blogspot.com/
http://cwunderle.blogspot.com/
http://janetrijourney.blogspot.com/

Max

2010-01-14 1:33 AM
in reply to: #2074718

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Gaarryy - 2009-04-09 3:31 PM

Daremo - 2009-04-09 12:01 PM But but but .. he's a Level 3 Crossfit and Level 3 POSE Running coach!!  He's just gotta know what he's talking about with those credentials!

well that's all you really need for marketing,,  some cool sounding creditials, a couple bold statements to get some attention,, then a few testimonials  ..  pretty proven method...  to sell something that is.

edited to add... However is he saying that you can't train s/b/r at all ??    he just made it sound to me that he wants you doing high intensity stuff.  is that not basically the same as trying to increase you FTP?? or doing intervals or doing zone 3 training??    I"m wondering if there is just a difference in terms he is using

No, the guy is just out in left field.
2010-07-28 7:13 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
Couldn't help myself....Here are the results from 9 people who did nothing but CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance in training for Ironman Lake Placid.

What a day for CrossFit, CrossFit Endurance and all the TriMax athletes at Ironman Lake Placid this weekend. When the day started, we had 2 Ironman veterans (Swift, Rutter) and 7 first timers toe the line in tackling the 140.6 miles that lay ahead. Let's just throw down the numbers to cut to the chase:

Jay Swift 10:49 (lifetime PR by 25 mins)
Brittanny Rutter 11:46 (fastest IM since 2003, PR run)
Dave Carbone 12:51 (first timer) http://crossfiitman-davidsironman.blogspot.com/
Sue Grigely 12:52 (first timer) http://grigs-lpim2010.blogspot.com/
Christina Wunderle 13:14 (first timer) http://cwunderle.blogspot.com/
Ariel Legassa 13:23 (first timer) http://alegassa.blogspot.com/
Colleen Healy 13:27 (first timer)
Melanie Melocowsky 13:28
Martin Henry 13:29 (first timer) http://martinstrainingblog.blogspot.com/
Erica Diner 15:43 (first timer) http://trimamma23.blogspot.com/

Those of you who want further breakdowns of splits, pacing, etc can go here http://ironman.com/events/ironman/lakep ... z0uw4EvHe1 and simply put in anyone of the names above.

All in all, this was a 100% success. From my perspective, DNFing was simply not an option as this group of athletes is too strong for that to even be a thought. So, when I review all the times and performances, I would characterize all performances as successful. The only stories that the numbers don't illustrate are the races of Rutter and Melocowsky. Rutter is an absolute Kona threat who let the race get to her (this was her 6th IM) and failed to hydrate as needed on the second half of the bike and throughout the run. Even though she posted the 2nd fastest IM of her life on less than 4 months of CrossFitting, she PR'd her run--but then spent 2 hours in the med tent taking 2 IV bags. This is quiite a lot of fluid for a woman who can't weigh 135lbs! As for Melanie, we have been working with her for over a year in trying to create a nutrition solution that she can manage. Without going into too much detail, she has a medical condition in her GI that causes her vomit and defecate in large quantities after 2+ hours running. This condition is so bad that she literally stops at every toilet stop and even has blood in her stool. We have recruited the help of several medical professionals and have tried every fueling strategy known. We have even created a race kit with ice bladders on her chest and back to keep her core temperature down--we need more work here. What's even more incredible, is that she won't stop trying and signed up for next year's race! This coming from a working mother of 3!

All in all, everyone nailed their nutrition, hydration and salt protocols. I am also very proud of the diversity of this group in that we have age ranges from 34 to 51, male and female, veterans and rookies, former Division I athletes, former weekend warriors and even a "biggest loser" profile of one athlete who lost 80 lbs in the last 12 months!

Last thing. I couldn't help but laugh at. The official program listed the average distances trained for the average triathlete. Here they are: 7 miles swimming, 225 miles of biking, 38 of running! Our athletes averaged less than 2 swimming, 30 biking and less than 5 running! Too Funny!

Max
www.gotrimax.com
mwunderle

Previous
2010-07-28 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
JorgeM - 2009-04-09 10:45 AM
Notice - this is not a jab at crossfit but a critique of the premise the guy in the interview suggests. For what I’ve read about cross fit they have a good concept for an specific niche in the market and even some of its concepts could be used by some endurance athletes as a way to compliment (not replace) some training, however I’ll have to remain skeptic with the ambitious statement this guy is making until there is actual both scientific and anecdotal evidence for it or have Macca win Kona again under his plan

For years I have been saying exactly what you suggested above. There is no method to the madness of crossfit. There are very few people (niche) that have the ability to utilize this concept the way it should be used.
In my opinion, if used properly it should only be supplemented (infrequently) into a regular routine (if at all). I have a friend that is a surgeon (very well known in my area), who is very fit, and said to me that he loves Crossfit. I asked him why and he said because it is making him rich. He said that he has cut open more knees because of Crossfit over the past year.
The biggest problem is, is that they put these workout of the days on line without knowing anyones goals or ability. To me that is just chaotic and stupid.
What I do applaud crossfit for is the attention it has brought to fitness, but that's about it.

2010-07-28 8:07 AM

User image

Champion
Nice control group to validate your results.

Oh wait, there isn't one.
2010-07-28 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3009215

User image

West Simsbury, CT
Ah yes, again the attacks on CrossFit based on the injury angle, but we love to ignore the fact that 80% of runners get hurt every year executing periodized, volumetric distance protocols.

I think one would find thousands of other doctors who have gotten rich prescribing orthotics, motion controlled shoes, IT band restrictors and the like for distance runners who get hurt every year.

Gonna be a long day....I am not advocating CrossFit as a be all, end all protocol, just another option for athletes looking to achieve their dreams without having to put in endless hours.

Max
www.gotrimax.com
2010-07-28 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3009273

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Can you share the age of your athletes by result? How many Kona slots or podiums did your guys have?
2010-07-28 8:52 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
Sure...here are the ages, no podiums, no Kona slots, but considering your background in the sport something tells me you already knew that...

Athlete                                      Age
Jay Swift                                   43
Brittanny Rutter                        34
Dave Carbone                           51
Sue Grigely                                43
Christina Wunderle                   40
Ariel Legassa                             38
Colleen Healy                            39
Melanie Melocowsky                  43
Martin Henry                              45
Erica Diner                                 45
2010-07-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3009347

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
mwunderle - 2010-07-28 8:52 AM Sure...here are the ages, no podiums, no Kona slots, but considering your background in the sport something tells me you already knew that...

Athlete                                      Age
Jay Swift                                   43
Brittanny Rutter                        34
Dave Carbone                           51
Sue Grigely                                43
Christina Wunderle                   40
Ariel Legassa                             38
Colleen Healy                            39
Melanie Melocowsky                  43
Martin Henry                              45
Erica Diner                                 45

Well yes, but the reason to ask was because when I 1st started this thread over a year ago, one of the premises of crossfit endurance was how this "new" approach was going to revolutionize endurance training and "teach" how all the training we've been doing is wrong. At least that's what the founder preached and the reason I've criticized it.

Right now you posted the results of your athletes as a way to somehow justify the validity of Crossfit and IMO it just shows how people who don't do much specific endurance training can manage to survive and Ironman. I can only assume that cuz you also posted it on Slowtwitch though I might be mistaken. Anyway, I guess I could share the results of some of our athletes but that won't justify anything either (though we got 5 podiums and 2 Kona slots )  but then again I am not making any extraordinary claims as crossfit supporters.

I said it again and I'll repeat myself yet again. CF has some interesting and useful principles and some any knowledgeable coach can apply to his/her athletes training. It doesn't have to be in the same way or form since anaerobic training can take many forms and strength training is only a very small part of it and not specific. But, from go to using it as a complement to address small aspects of endurance training to help an athlete evolve into a more complete one to claim it is the the best way at training and the latest revolutionary approach, well, that's the reason you continue t get so much resistance around.

Anyway, congrats to your athletes on completing their races.

2010-07-28 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3009315

User image

Champion
the colony texas
congrats to your athletes.. But when you explain the issue's two of your athletes had on the course,  then in the next paragraph say that all of the athletes nailed their nutrition it makes me skeptical.  Then again I consider hydration and nutrition as the same thing. 

Would you consider (or do you currently)  having your athletes doing a few longer workouts in order to test thier hydration/nutrition plans? Something like a 4hr race pace bike and a 60 min run? 

It seems that the goal of cross fit endurance is to complete the race with as little as possible time training time on the bike/run/swim.  at least that is how I'm reading it when you compare the time training with CF Endurance to the Avg IMLP persons training time.    Would having a couple longish type workouts to test the nutrition conflict with their CF training to much?
2010-07-28 9:16 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
CrossFit Endurance has existed for just over 2 years and I am convinced it is only a matter of time before there are examples of its use in the top echelon of the sport.  Having said this, it is pure speculation and not the point of these posts.

The fact about Kona or podium finishes is that less than 2% of the triathlon community will EVER achieve such goals.  Conversely, 98% of the community believes the only way to become an Ironman or to simply improve is to do more miles.  The purpose of my posts is to simply show another way.  There are thousands upon thousands of athletes across the world who believe running a marathon or a half Ironman or a full Ironman are accomplishments that are impossible without huge commitments of time.  The examples of my athletes are simply opportunities to show this alternative path, nothing more.

As for the nutrition issues, one athlete (Melocowsky) has a medical condition that has caused so much frustration.  We (and her doctors) don't believe we'll be able to address it under any circumstances--however, she wants to continue to test alternatives.  As for Rutter, she made a rookie mistake in not taking on enough water and ended up in the med tent.  The other 8 athletes, however, were spot on in their nutrition, hydration and electrolyte protocols.

Max
2010-07-28 9:23 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

I'll say here what I said over on Slowtwitch.  I think the problem here is how CFE is being communciated and not the legitimacy of the approach.  There are a lot of people who want to focus on their overall fitness and who don't want to put in a lot of hours training and for these folks CFE might work well.  But to tout CFE as a superior training program for triathlon than "traditional training methods" is absolutely absurd, especially without data to support the claim!

As posted on ST:

I stand by my comments and really I'm not trying to spark a debate. I'm actually a big fan of Crossfit; I just don't think it's an ideal way to get faster at triathlon. From what I've read/learned, there is a good deal of science that says that specificity wins out over general fitness. Others on this board can speak to it much better than I, but if the primary goal is to improve race times, then taking their <10hrs per week and focusing on S/B/R will produce the best results.

If you want to take the time, I'd be interested to hear what "traditional triathlon training protocols" entails. In my relatively short time in this sport, I have seen a wide variety of training philosophies, so I'm not sure that there is a "traditional" training protocol. Each athlete has unique considerations (time, background, etc) and different approaches may be needed if the individuals training is going to be optimized.

Congrats on the finishes by your group.

2010-07-28 9:25 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
Wow...I guess we're going cross forums here.  I'll copy and paste my response to your posting there where I show you that for at least one athlete (Jay Swift) he has gone over 1 hour faster employing CrossFit protocols vs. traditional triathlon training...

Ah, here it comes...

Just for the record, Jay Swift HAD been spending upwards of 20-25 hrs per week executing traditional triathlon protocols for 4 years before finding CrossFit last January. At last year's IMLP, he went 11:15, down from 11:45 in 2008. On Sunday, he went 10:49, another 25 minute drop from 2009. Additionally, Brittany Rutter had been using traditional triathlon training protocols since 2003 when she went 11:33 at IMLP. Since then, she has done 4-5 other Ironmans, never close to this result--until Sunday when she went 11:46 and PR'd her run.

So, for these 2 athletes, CrossFit did exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Max
www.gotrimax.com
2010-07-28 9:29 AM

Champion
South Jersey

How much, on average, did they train per week in the last 12 or so weeks of training (before taper)? I don't have any plans to do Cross Fit, but I have to say -- all those first timers had better times than me at my first go at the IM distance (also IMLP).

(I don't really know what Cross Fit is, but I ask because I see references to spending less time training when sticking to a Cross Fit Endurance training program.)

2010-07-28 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3009096

User image

Master
mwunderle - 2010-07-28 7:13 AM Couldn't help myself....Here are the results from 9 people who did nothing but CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance in training for Ironman Lake Placid.

Last thing. I couldn't help but laugh at. The official program listed the average distances trained for the average triathlete. Here they are: 7 miles swimming, 225 miles of biking, 38 of running! Our athletes averaged less than 2 swimming, 30 biking and less than 5 running! Too Funny!

Can you elaborate on the averages? Is this averages per week? Over what time period-12, wks, 20 wks, 30 wks? Do you have a total volume per week in hours including crossfit workouts?
Is this average specific to the group that did IMLP?

I have been following this post, and Crossfit, for a while. I think there is something to offer for triathletes, but I wonder about the low volume for things like HIM and especially IMs.
Are you saying that your 10 athletes averaged 3 hours a week of workouts + crossfit (at what, maybe 3 more hours a week)?

Edited by eliwashere 2010-07-28 9:33 AM
2010-07-28 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3009414

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

mwunderle - 2010-07-28 9:16 AM 

Conversely, 98% of the community believes the only way to become an Ironman or to simply improve is to do more miles.  The purpose of my posts is to simply show another way. 

I don't believe that the majority of people believe that volume is the answer.  As I learned leading up to my IM last year, intensity is a huge part of the equation, even in "traditional training protocols." 

There are thousands upon thousands of athletes across the world who believe running a marathon or a half Ironman or a full Ironman are accomplishments that are impossible without huge commitments of time.  The examples of my athletes are simply opportunities to show this alternative path, nothing more.

That's very reasonable.  I'm not knocking the approach, just the way it's communciated. 

2010-07-28 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
2 miles swimming, 30 miles biking and 5 miles running..

Is that per week?  Per workout, what?  I did read the CFE protocol, and I honestly don't see how this is what it calls for on a weekly basis, which is what was listed to compare. 

That looks like 3 hours worth of training time, not the ~10 or so advertised.
2010-07-28 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3009414

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
mwunderle - 2010-07-28 9:16 AM CrossFit Endurance has existed for just over 2 years and I am convinced it is only a matter of time before there are examples of its use in the top echelon of the sport.  Having said this, it is pure speculation and not the point of these posts.

The fact about Kona or podium finishes is that less than 2% of the triathlon community will EVER achieve such goals.  Conversely, 98% of the community believes the only way to become an Ironman or to simply improve is to do more miles.  The purpose of my posts is to simply show another way.  There are thousands upon thousands of athletes across the world who believe running a marathon or a half Ironman or a full Ironman are accomplishments that are impossible without huge commitments of time.  The examples of my athletes are simply opportunities to show this alternative path, nothing more.

Max

See I don't think I necessarily disagree with you on this one, though I want to believe us as coaches have the responsibility to teach those athlete understand it is not a matter of volume or intensity but a matter of adequate training load management and find a the right balance between their goals, needs and time constraints. IMO you could be making a disservice to athletes by not teaching them understand this. One should NOT focus on either side of the spectrum. You criticize and even make fun of those who want to spend a lot of time training and go on to claim that you want to offer an alternative for those who don't want to invest (or 'waste') a lot of time training away from their families.

But you are going to the the extreme on the other side of the spectrum and if that's what you believe in and you think is the best way to cater your coaching for your athletes that's your choice. I just think is a bit hypocritical to muck those who train a lot because they can/want and then get defensive when someone question your approach in particular when the founder of that approach you follow claims the rest of the endurance world has it wrong and you have it right.

I already spent time illustrating why the evidence provided by CFE is nothing but misleading to justify your/their approach. As I said, it is not or shouldn't be a either or situation. Load had to be managed via intensity and volume and for those following this common sense approach will most likely will optimize their training within their needs/constraints while at the same time diminishing the chances of injury. No magic bullets or promising unrealistic goals; simply offering good old fashion hard work within each athlete limits and goals. Athletes can do specific IM without committing to what seem unreasonable training hours (for them) and still do the necessary work to adapt their body for the demands of the distance. That has nothing to do with CFE by the way but simple understanding of basic physiology and training concepts. 

BTW, IMO the getting injured arguments is a fair critic for CFE. I personally know a few cases of athletes following the CFE approach (though I don't know the detail of thir training) who managed to complete their race yet later have battled chronic injuries. It might or might not have anything to do with CFE but the fact athletes train lesser time and then go onto exposing their bodies for 12+ hrs of training, something their bodies are simply not adapted for, it is not crazy to believe their lack of specific preparation lead they to get injured.

And yes, the same happens for those doing a lot of training, but that just supports my point. Is not about how much or what kind of training ones does that leads to injuries, in my experience and based on the available evidence it is more a function of doing too much of anything (volume, intensity or both) beyond the athletes personal limits. The fact that CFE suggests doing non-IM specific training IMO can lead to a greater chance of that happening though.

Anyway, 2 years ago the founder of CFE promised this method would revolutionize the world including at the top of the sport. I'll continue to wait for that evidence beyond the results of a few outliers. In the mean time, it is my job is to help my athletes accomplishing their athletic goals matching their expectations with reality while at the same time allowing to take care of life priorities and avoid injuries. For that reason, I will continue to follow a common sense approach and base it on the actual current scientific evidence and match that with my own coaching experience and that of the knowledgeable/experienced coaches I interact with. If tomorrow CFE proves to be a better option while at the same time keeping athletes for getting hurt, hey I'll be all for it, but until that day comes, I'll keep asking questioning its premises and promises.
2010-07-28 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3009445

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
mwunderle - 2010-07-28 9:25 AM Wow...I guess we're going cross forums here.  I'll copy and paste my response to your posting there where I show you that for at least one athlete (Jay Swift) he has gone over 1 hour faster employing CrossFit protocols vs. traditional triathlon training...

Ah, here it comes...

Just for the record, Jay Swift HAD been spending upwards of 20-25 hrs per week executing traditional triathlon protocols for 4 years before finding CrossFit last January. At last year's IMLP, he went 11:15, down from 11:45 in 2008. On Sunday, he went 10:49, another 25 minute drop from 2009. Additionally, Brittany Rutter had been using traditional triathlon training protocols since 2003 when she went 11:33 at IMLP. Since then, she has done 4-5 other Ironmans, never close to this result--until Sunday when she went 11:46 and PR'd her run.

So, for these 2 athletes, CrossFit did exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Max
www.gotrimax.com

It is hard to make a blank statement like that and suggest Mr. Swift automatically improved this year because of CFE when it might very well could be he did in spite of it. LP times were faster across the board this year so right there it be a reason for his faster time. In addition, over time our bodies continue to adapt to endurance training as long as we keep inducing certain adaptations hence that plus the switch in training load could account for another portion in the PR.

Moreover, Mr. Swift could also be a wiser more experienced athlete who in addition to learning proper pacing and nutrition over the past 2 years, also learned about the importance of details such as equipment and he could easily have cut his time short by a better aero position, bike, aero helmet, wheels, tires, etc. So that has to also be considered. Finally, unless you have documented training details such as power files, GPS files, etc. it is hard to credit all of Mr. Swift improvements to one single variable. In fact, playing the skeptic side a bit more, one could even argue that since Mr. Swift changed to CFE training early this year from traditional* training, his rate of improvement dropped from 5.3% to 3.9% Though I am only half kidding as I am just illustrating a point that it is hard to say why he went faster or not.

Though I will give you this, *if* Mr. Swift indeed was training 20-25hrs x week (how many weeks or was this his eak week?) which seems high for the avg age grouper, it does sem he wasn't doing the adequate training to optimize his performance, though I would need much more details to be able to say for certain.

* I don't really know what you mean by traditional training. I think CFE supporters might have an incorrect understanding of what adequate training for any endurance event is though it is not their fault. There is a lot of misinformation and training myths out there as to what optimal training is, though the answer is not black or white but as "it depends" based on the athletes needs, goals, time constraints, fitness, genes, age, weight, etc.

2010-07-28 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Not a coach, not an IM finisher (yet), just a guy who like's the sport, lifestyle, and really wants to finish an IM. Just curious, as to why one wuld choose Cross Fit over traditinal training., I mean, IM is in fact a triathlon, and if you want to do an IM shouldn't you at least like the 3 disciplines that make up the sport. I enjoy S/B/R, and lots of it. Just seems weird to me to want to compete in an endurance event without ever actually training with endurance.
2010-07-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3009739

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

titeloops - 2010-07-28 10:47 AM Not a coach, not an IM finisher (yet), just a guy who like's the sport, lifestyle, and really wants to finish an IM. Just curious, as to why one wuld choose Cross Fit over traditinal training., I mean, IM is in fact a triathlon, and if you want to do an IM shouldn't you at least like the 3 disciplines that make up the sport. I enjoy S/B/R, and lots of it. Just seems weird to me to want to compete in an endurance event without ever actually training with endurance.

Apparently there are misperceptions on both sides...

CFE does have you do s/b/r, just not as much as volume as "traditional training protocols."  From what I understand, it's all very high intensity type stuff.  It also includes the full body Crossfit workouts.  Remember, even intervals work are endurance events.  I'll let Jorge correct me on this, but anything outside of a 1-2 minutes is "endurance."

Otherwise I agree with the sentiment that if you don't like to spend time doing s/b/r, why are you doing this sport?  Just to check the block?  I'm usually upset because I don't get to ride my bike enough, not trying to find ways to ride less!  I think a lot of people spend 15 hrs per week training not because they feel the HAVE to, but because they WANT to. 

2010-07-28 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3009739

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
titeloops - 2010-07-28 11:47 AM Not a coach, not an IM finisher (yet), just a guy who like's the sport, lifestyle, and really wants to finish an IM. Just curious, as to why one wuld choose Cross Fit over traditinal training., I mean, IM is in fact a triathlon, and if you want to do an IM shouldn't you at least like the 3 disciplines that make up the sport. I enjoy S/B/R, and lots of it. Just seems weird to me to want to compete in an endurance event without ever actually training with endurance.

As Andrew said, there is SBR, just not as much.

But your point is well taken.  I LOVE my long rides on the weekend.  I do plenty of hard intervals, etc., during the week.  I would never (if I could avoid it) give up my long bike or long run for a weight session, or whatever.

I went back and read the interview, and frankly the hubris is pretty breathtaking.  The answer to "How would you train Macca?" is absolutely absurd.  If this guy had in fact coached some Kona winners, then his answer would be interesting.  But (and I think that Jorge's point about Kona slots, etc. is relevant here, if not relevant to those who just want to finish the race) as things stand, the guy just comes across as an ignorant blowhard.
2010-07-28 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I can see the headline now

Chrissie Wellington, CAUGHT doing crossfit
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross Fit, the new fast?!?!? Rss Feed  

of 6