General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ISM Adamo question - help me please! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-10 12:00 PM

User image

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: ISM Adamo question - help me please!
I know there are a lot of Adamo users on this forum, I'm hoping to get some advice. I bought an Adamo road for my road bike and had my first ride today. On a 30 minute ride it seemed comfortable enough, no numbness , but definitely a different feel/pressure. But I think I could really get to liking it if I rode it a little more....

But here's my problem. I had my wife helping me get the fit right, she measured my forward/back position and knee over pedal position etc on my existing saddle so we could try and keep my fit as close as possible (I was fit at the bike shop when I bought the bike). My original saddle is a Specialized Alias. It was mounted pretty much in the middle of the rails, I'm 6'3" and ride a 58 cm Specialized Allez. According to my wife I sit pretty far back on this saddle so that she cannot see any of the back of the saddle, I just barely hang over the back edge and cover it all. This is in a somewhat upright position with my hands on the horizontal part of the handle bars. I guess this is typical???

With the Adamo, we watched the "Installation Video" on the ismseat.com website and it showed quite a lot of saddle visible behind the rider. And sitting on the Adamo, this is indeed what feels "right." But to sit on this saddle in this position, even with it mounted all the way back on the rails, my knees are still about 1.5 inches forward of where they were before. That puts them 1.5 inches forward of the enb of the crank when horizontal. And I have to say, the saddle does not look "safe" hanging that far over the back of the seat post. It's literally all the way back on the rails.

According to the installation video, the rails should be in about the same position, but this is NOT at all what I found. Anyone have some advice or comments?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

2009-04-10 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2076373

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: ISM Adamo question - help me please!
i have the same seat - and i have only ridden on it for probably 5 hours so far.  i have mine scooted pretty far forward (due to size of frame, and i'm short), but i still sit on the very front of the seat, especially while in aero. i find that if i am really trying to put down the power while in aero, i slide pretty far forward, and it puts a lot of pressure on my arms/shoulders.  i have not watched the fitting video, so i don't know how it is supposed to fit. 
i don't know if this helps at all. . .
2009-04-10 3:04 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It sounds like you are working on the front to back rail placement of the saddle to keep your fit the same.  But there is also the tilt of the sadle that is hard to nail for your sit bones.  I had to sit on mine in like just a swimsuit to feel to bones well enough to get the tilt just right.  Just a half milimeter makes a difference on the angel of that seat for longer rides.  With my bike setup my seat is fairly far back on the rails, but ya I sit with my sitbones on the gelpad area of the seat where it starts to widen out.  I have probably 4000 miles on mine so far.  If you drop the nose too low you will slide forwards and your shoulders will be sore and aero position will be uncomfortable after 30 min to an hour.  You may need to just go on a 50 mile ride with an allen wrench and tweek it untill it feels right ( on the angle) I will leave the seat/knee position discussion to our bike fitters.   
2009-04-11 8:49 AM

User image

Albuquerque, NM
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I expect that I'll have to tweak the angle and my position on the saddle a bit to really get it right, but until I get the front/back thing fixed I don't feel like it's worth the time to fine-tune.

Any bike fitters out there who can chime in?

Thanks,
Mike
2009-04-11 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
hey check out ttbikefit.com there is a great video on how to set up these saddles over 8 minutes really helpful.
Just wondering did you find a good price? Looking to try one of these but probably buy a used one first.

chris
2009-04-11 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2077979

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
cxk9758 - 2009-04-11 11:53 AM hey check out ttbikefit.com there is a great video on how to set up these saddles over 8 minutes really helpful. Just wondering did you find a good price? Looking to try one of these but probably buy a used one first. chris

Very nice, those are the best instructions for setting up an Adamo I've seen.  The ones from ISM are pretty poor.  I'm off to take a look at my position... until I'm willing to shell out the money for a professional fit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ISM Adamo question - help me please! Rss Feed