General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Polar RS800CX Multi or Suunto T6c? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-11 12:29 AM

New user
Subject: Polar RS800CX Multi or Suunto T6c?
Does anyone have experience with these two HR Monitors?

I am looking for an all-in-one computer for Triathlon training and even some high-intensity hikes for army training.
An important part is the display while cycling (do the watches display cadence, HR, and speed/distance in one display? Or do I have to keep pressing buttons while cycling to switch displays?).
I like the Polar idea with the bike mount for the wrist watch, but does Suunto have a similar item? Or can I improvise?

What are the Pods like for both manufacturers? I will be extensively using the GPS, Foot cadence, cycle cadence, speed/distance options and addons. The Suunto pods seem a little more user friendly.

Also, what is the software like for both watches? I am not really interested in the personal-trainer or sports lab software, as I will have my own hand-written program to follow. Rather, what is the display and data compiling like once I transfer to the computer?

Lastly, I want something I can wear comfortably as a day-to-day wristwatch.

Any thoughts or consumer advice?

Thanks!

2009-04-11 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2077616

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Subject: RE: Polar RS800CX Multi or Suunto T6c?
The one that seems to be the most popular would be the Garmin 305 -
2009-04-11 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

I've got a Suunto T3.  Haven't used any pods, so can't really address that.

The Suunto "handlebar mount" is just a piece of foam, split to go around the bar and flat on one side.  It works fine, but I wouldn't buy it again--you can make essentially the same thing out of a piece of foam pipe insulation.

I've seen the Polar mount in the store and it looks like a nicer, plastic piece with a screw mount--I suspect it would work with a Suunto watch, but haven't tried it.

I regularly wear mine as an everyday watch, even with a suit or dress shirt.  It's very low key, looks like a sport watch but doesn't scream "heart rate monitor" and works fine.

The other thing that really sold me on the Suunto was that the batteries in both the watch and the chest strap were cheap, readily available (CR2032) and user-replaceable.  Not sure if that's the case with Polar or not.

Edited by tjh 2009-04-11 7:15 PM
2009-04-19 8:02 PM

User image

Regular
Troy, MI
I have the Suunto T6 and would highly recommend it. I wear it everyday (training, casual, work) since it is stylish and comfortable; not bulky.

The footpod is very accurate (used it in my first marathon and was surprised how close it was to the actual distance).

The heartrate monitor also works well. As far as the software goes it offers more than I actually use. When you download the logs onto your computer you can review a ton of information. Vo2max, zones, calories, altitude, speed, distance, etc, etc, etc.

Hope that helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Polar RS800CX Multi or Suunto T6c? Rss Feed