BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-18 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: RE: Bill's Mentor Group-OPEN

Bill, I hope it's not too late to join. Mt story so far...

Name: Gus (Darren)

Family Status: Married with two kids

Story: I am currently emabrking on a weight-loss strategy that will see me fit enough to compete in the Noosa Triathlon this year in Novembver. Noosa is an Olympic distance event that is HUGE!

I started my latest weight-loss attempt March 31 and as a result have lost 12lbs. I have included all three disciplines in my exercise regime. I am currently 290lbs at 5' 10" which is quite heavy but I have been told I carry it quite well (probably from well meaning relatives). Having said that I can, and do, often bang out 50+ mile rides with the boys.

This weight-loss attempt will succeed because I am focussed on getting fit/lean enough to race in a couple races rather than just losing weight for the sake of it. That said I believe that joining a mentor group will help keep me honest and as well as provide me with some input on training and racing.

Events: I plan on running a 10k in July at the Gold Coast (Aust) Marathon Carnivasl this year. Followed by a Sprint Tri in October followed by the Olympic in November. It will be a tough schedule but I feel as though I need a tight schedule to keep me motivated and honest. In the past If I had too long a goal and I tended to lose focus and give up.

My long term goals are to run a marathon and ultimately compete in (and complete) an Ironman event.

Thanks Bill. I hope I have given you something to work with!

2009-04-18 10:03 PM

Bill, I am 25 years old and used to work as a wildland firefighter.  I enjoyed the active lifestyle and was in great shape.  Unfortunately, last year I began having lots of pain in my knee and the doctors found a hole on the underside of my knee cap.  After surgery I was hired as a director for a non-profit.  The job is great but it is not nearly as active as my last job.  I am completely new to the triathlon scene.  A friend of mine is taking a class at a YMCA to help him train for a sprint this summer.  He and I agreed that this is something we really want to accomplish.  I live in a small town and have no one to help train me, and I was hoping you could help.  Below is the rest of my information.

Name:  ebe.1/Bryan
Story:  Most everything is above.  I ran cross country in high school but other than that I don't have much experience.
Family Status:  Single
Current Training:  I do a lot of walking in the evenings and some weight lifting other than that I don't have much.
2009 Races:  I have one race that I am wanting to compete in that is in late July.  After that I will see how I like it. 
Weightloss:  I don't need to worry about weightloss.  I'm 6ft and around 155 pounds.  I have always been a skinny guy, but I would like to increase my fitness and maybe trade in some body fat for, well, anything else. 
What would make a great student:  I have never been in the military, but I was a member of a Hand Crew which is a paramilitary organization.  I have worked with a lot of military members through fire and from they have told me there is not much difference in what we do physically.  I have a strong drive when I get something in my mind, and this is something that I have tossed around in my head for a while.  I just don't know where to get started.
2009-04-18 11:36 PM
in reply to: #2093594

Southern CA
Hey Bill-

If there's room, I'd like to join the team here.

My 411...

NAME: Jeremy
STORY: I did several Sprint and Olympic races with some 1/2 Marathons thrown in between 05 and 07. I capped it off with the Vineman 1/2 IM in 07. But, then with work and kids I dropped off the tri radar until last week week when I signed up for my first ever IM, St George, UT, 2010.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids.
CURRENT TRAINING: Although I've never stopped running and hitting the gym, I've just started getting back on the bike and in the pool... so it's almost like starting over.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm really gearing up for my first IM, St. George IM in Utah in May 2010. Looking at an Olympic this August or September and then the MajicMountain Man 1/2 IM in October... Santa Clarita Marathon in November, and a few other races to tune me up
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'1, 185, so weightloss isn't as important as much as building up my endurance and stripping down some of the body fat.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: I really like your philosophy on the "6 Disciplines" of triathlon racing, because I feel I always lacked on the training prep and nutrition in past races. I'm new to utilizing the BT site, so I still need to set up my training log, but look forward to some great insight and experience from all in the group.

Cheers! Jeremy
Cheers!
2009-04-19 12:37 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Hey Bill...

I hope you have room for one more in your group.  I love your philosophy and mentoring approach, and would appreciate the opportunity to learn from you.  Here are my stats:

NAME:  Cheri/Sledge

STORY:  I'm a happy person, have mostly had a good outlook on life, and spent most of my adult life doing some running.  But almost 5 years ago I was in a horrendous car accident, and when I woke up (hanging upside down from my seatbelt!) I thanked my lucky stars to be alive.  Now I spend my time celebrating life.  It's more complicated than that, of course, but I'm exploring and doing things that I never would have considered 5 years ago. 

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm married to an airline pilot who is either home full-time or gone for long periods of time.  It's crazy!

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm racing the Gulf Coast HIM on May 9th, so I'm very close to taper.  Unfortunately, I've also been traveling for work the last month, and my training has suffered.  I'm concerned...

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  HIM, as above.  It's a celebration of life, 5 years after a broken neck (!), etc...  After that, I'll probably do some runs and a couple of sprint and oly tris. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  Not really an issue, but I certainly want to maintain.  And nutrition could certainly be better!

2009-04-19 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2094179

User image

Elite
Texas
EvenOlder - 2009-04-18 4:13 PM If i can jump onboard-
Name: Steve/EvenOlder

Story/Status: Turned 36, realized 6'1'' shouldn't weigh 230lbs.  Busy with wife, 3yo and 5yo boys and owning my own business.  Started biking to lose weight, realized that triathlons were safe for my hands/joints so as not to jeopardize my career as a dentist.  11/08 did a super-sprint locally, 2/09 did another at my alma mater of UF.  Got my weight down to 207 last week=happy.

Training/Races this year: I will spend 30-45min a day on training, but that's it.  I'm recovering from Plantar Fascitiis in my right foot.  I will do sprints this year.  I will likely only ever do sprints.  My body likes to go fast, but not for very long.  I too enjoy planning my training out.
2009 Schedule:
2/1/2009 Trigator Gainesville FL  Placed AG:5th, 83/210 overall
6/14/2009 Honeymoon Island Sprint Dunedin FL
7/26/2009 Sebring FL Sprint
10/2009 Sarasota Sharks Sprint Sarasota FL
At least 2 others

Weightloss:  I'd like to get to 200lbs, but I lift 2x a week - so i'll never be light enough to be very competitive.  My triathlon goals are: go fast, look good, have fun with the sport.

Thanks if I can get in the group.
steve

Welcome to the group Steve. Heh... yeah I had that same realization one morning about 5 years ago. It's good that you have perspective regarding what you like to do and what you're built for, and the type of tris you want to do. A lot of us get sucked into long course racing because we think that's "where it's at". I do like long course stuff, but I'm built for speed.

Good luck with the PF. I had it back in '95. I slept with a posterior splint the held my foot in plantar extension... it was gone very quickly. But if I remember right I got the splint fairly early on and it can be difficult to treat if it goes on for a long time. At any rate, that fixed me. Hope it gets right soon.
2009-04-19 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2094403

User image

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-18 6:34 PM

Bill, I hope it's not too late to join. Mt story so far...

Name: Gus (Darren)

Family Status: Married with two kids

Story: I am currently emabrking on a weight-loss strategy that will see me fit enough to compete in the Noosa Triathlon this year in Novembver. Noosa is an Olympic distance event that is HUGE!

I started my latest weight-loss attempt March 31 and as a result have lost 12lbs. I have included all three disciplines in my exercise regime. I am currently 290lbs at 5' 10" which is quite heavy but I have been told I carry it quite well (probably from well meaning relatives). Having said that I can, and do, often bang out 50+ mile rides with the boys.

This weight-loss attempt will succeed because I am focussed on getting fit/lean enough to race in a couple races rather than just losing weight for the sake of it. That said I believe that joining a mentor group will help keep me honest and as well as provide me with some input on training and racing.

Events: I plan on running a 10k in July at the Gold Coast (Aust) Marathon Carnivasl this year. Followed by a Sprint Tri in October followed by the Olympic in November. It will be a tough schedule but I feel as though I need a tight schedule to keep me motivated and honest. In the past If I had too long a goal and I tended to lose focus and give up.

My long term goals are to run a marathon and ultimately compete in (and complete) an Ironman event.

Thanks Bill. I hope I have given you something to work with!

Welcome Gus! I'm glad to see you here. I have to admit I'm excited for you in part because it was so cool watching my buddy do what you're setting out to accomplish I want to see someone do that again.

When he finished IMCDA I did my first IM 70.3 the same day. So I finished my race, cleaned up, ate a good meal, and drove back to Jeepfleeb's place in Dallas. I was on the couch with my feet up watching the live internet broadcast of IMCDA, and I got to see my buddy cross the finish line. It's one thing to watch Kona on televsion and get taken in by the compliment of "human accomplishment" storylines... it's another level way beyond that to watch your friend, someone who's story you know very well be THAT guy. I was more proud for him than I was for myself that day.  It was very cool.

Welcome aboard mate.

2009-04-19 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2094695

User image

Elite
Texas
ebe.1 - 2009-04-18 10:03 PM Bill, I am 25 years old and used to work as a wildland firefighter.  I enjoyed the active lifestyle and was in great shape.  Unfortunately, last year I began having lots of pain in my knee and the doctors found a hole on the underside of my knee cap.  After surgery I was hired as a director for a non-profit.  The job is great but it is not nearly as active as my last job.  I am completely new to the triathlon scene.  A friend of mine is taking a class at a YMCA to help him train for a sprint this summer.  He and I agreed that this is something we really want to accomplish.  I live in a small town and have no one to help train me, and I was hoping you could help.  Below is the rest of my information.

Name:  ebe.1/Bryan
Story:  Most everything is above.  I ran cross country in high school but other than that I don't have much experience.
Family Status:  Single
Current Training:  I do a lot of walking in the evenings and some weight lifting other than that I don't have much.
2009 Races:  I have one race that I am wanting to compete in that is in late July.  After that I will see how I like it. 
Weightloss:  I don't need to worry about weightloss.  I'm 6ft and around 155 pounds.  I have always been a skinny guy, but I would like to increase my fitness and maybe trade in some body fat for, well, anything else. 
What would make a great student:  I have never been in the military, but I was a member of a Hand Crew which is a paramilitary organization.  I have worked with a lot of military members through fire and from they have told me there is not much difference in what we do physically.  I have a strong drive when I get something in my mind, and this is something that I have tossed around in my head for a while.  I just don't know where to get started.

Hey Bryan. Well you picked the right mentor. I've had seven knee operations over 15 years, so I can understand where you're coming from. And for the record I'd trade an arm to be 25.

A late July race gives you plenty of time to learn the sport and get the training you need to be comfortable on race day. The best pace to start is with a training plan. The plans here on BT are excellent. If you need help deciphering the plan post your questions here. As far as the knee goes, just be careful and don't deviate (too far) from your doctors advice. One of the beautiful things about triathlon is if you have injury limiters you don't have to lose overall fitness to allow for the rest you need to get better. My knee problems make running my limiter even though it's my best discipline by far due to my experience with running vs swim and bike. But I limit it because I have to in training.. Just be smart about it and you'll be fine. Good luck!
2009-04-19 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2094772

User image

Elite
Texas
stannduppk - 2009-04-18 11:36 PM Hey Bill- If there's room, I'd like to join the team here. My 411... NAME: Jeremy STORY: I did several Sprint and Olympic races with some 1/2 Marathons thrown in between 05 and 07. I capped it off with the Vineman 1/2 IM in 07. But, then with work and kids I dropped off the tri radar until last week week when I signed up for my first ever IM, St George, UT, 2010. FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids. CURRENT TRAINING: Although I've never stopped running and hitting the gym, I've just started getting back on the bike and in the pool... so it's almost like starting over. THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm really gearing up for my first IM, St. George IM in Utah in May 2010. Looking at an Olympic this August or September and then the MajicMountain Man 1/2 IM in October... Santa Clarita Marathon in November, and a few other races to tune me up WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'1, 185, so weightloss isn't as important as much as building up my endurance and stripping down some of the body fat. ADDITIONAL NOTE: I really like your philosophy on the "6 Disciplines" of triathlon racing, because I feel I always lacked on the training prep and nutrition in past races. I'm new to utilizing the BT site, so I still need to set up my training log, but look forward to some great insight and experience from all in the group. Cheers! Jeremy Cheers!

Awesome. I was hoping we'd get someone with an IM on the radar in here. A focus on all six disclplines will elevate your game tremendously. I can't quantify it, but I know I beat guys in my AG because I execute my nutrition better than they do (they're the guys clutching the belly on the side of the road as I pass them on the run) . But I had to learn the hard way so hopefully you guys can benefit from my gross errors in judgement experiences...  Welcome to the group.
2009-04-19 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2094789

User image

Elite
Texas
Sledge - 2009-04-19 12:37 AM

Hey Bill...

I hope you have room for one more in your group.  I love your philosophy and mentoring approach, and would appreciate the opportunity to learn from you.  Here are my stats:

STORY:  I'm a happy person, have mostly had a good outlook on life, and spent most of my adult life doing some running.  But almost 5 years ago I was in a horrendous car accident, and when I woke up (hanging upside down from my seatbelt!) I thanked my lucky stars to be alive.  Now I spend my time celebrating life.  It's more complicated than that, of course, but I'm exploring and doing things that I never would have considered 5 years ago. 

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm married to an airline pilot who is either home full-time or gone for long periods of time.  It's crazy!

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm racing the Gulf Coast HIM on May 9th, so I'm very close to taper.  Unfortunately, I've also been traveling for work the last month, and my training has suffered.  I'm concerned...

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  HIM, as above.  It's a celebration of life, 5 years after a broken neck (!), etc...  After that, I'll probably do some runs and a couple of sprint and oly tris. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  Not really an issue, but I certainly want to maintain.  And nutrition could certainly be better!

Hi Cheri. It's going to be good for me to have you here. I've worked the past 8 years as a flight paramedic for a helicopter rescue service. I don't often get to see the people we take care of get up and go tackle a half ironman.

You have one of the earliest races in the group here, so we'll all be on the Cheri bandwagon come May 9th! Do you have your race day pacing and nutrition plans nailed down yet? I like to fine tune those things during the taper so I have something to keep my mind busy as training volume goes down.

Very gald to have you here, both in the group and in the larger sense 5 years after your accident. Welcome to the group!
2009-04-19 7:52 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Bill's Mentor Group-CLOSED

Probably going to have to cap the group there, unless someone PM's me and makes a compelling case for inclusion.

I do have open invites to one experienced BT friend and a coworker who may join BT shortly, so if you see two more names pop up on the radar, it would be those individuals.

I'm very excited about being a mentor. I've really missed functioning in that role since I left the 75th Ranger Regiment in 2000. Don't worry. I believe we can maintain good order and discipline here without resorting to Ranger policies and procedures... maybe.

I'm going to put together a table that has some basic info on the group including races goals and general fitness status. I'd like for you all to be in the habit of inspiring each other on the training logs. If it takes too much of your time to inspire the whole group try to pick out a few teammates that have a similar similar starting point and goals, or dissimilar starting point and goals. Whatever works.

** Housekeeping note ** If your training log is currently set to "Private", please do one of two things. You have the option to make it completely public, or you can make it public to friends only. If you make it public to friends only, please add me to your friend list and add your teammates as well so they can inspire you. If you need help doing that let me know. Thanks.

2009-04-19 7:58 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain - No Vacancy
Bill House of Pain (B.H.O.P) Final Roster*

Bill's Mentor Group
JoshuaBluesman
AaronJeepfleeb
Jamesjpohlman
Robdixrp
Melanieetselec
MikeCaliforniaMike
Justinjustinfss
Jeffgran
GusIron Gus
SteveEvenOlder
Bryanebe.1
JeremyStannduppk
CheriSledge

* May include two more if those individuals choose to jump in.

Edited by Bill 2009-04-19 7:59 AM

2009-04-19 8:03 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy
The story on the BHOP (Bills House of Pain)

I used to keep my bike set up on the Computrainer in a storage room attached to my garage. I would go in there and ride at 4:00 a.m. before work when I was training for my first IM 70.3 back in 2006. I called it the BHOP mostly because it was so painful to get up that early... but my BT friends really seemed to like the name (on maybe they liked they idea of me suffering at the hands of my evil Computrainer in a small, dark room). Whatever the case, the name stuck and has grown to apply to any room I happen to occupy at a given time. So welcome to the BHOP.

The story on PAINCAKES:

That same year at the BSLT 70.3 athlete's breakfast the "Omega Oat" pancake company served pancakes. They went out of business shortly thereafter. So I went to my culinary la-BOR-a-tory (hypenated for phonetic emphasis) and develope the PAINCAKE based upon the ingredients in the Omega Oat pancakes. I served them to about 20 BTers at the BT Beach House in Galveston at the 2007 Lonestar tri, and they were a hit. I'll post the recipe here if you're into that sort of thing.

The story on the FREAKBRICK:

I have a friend or two that actually call me Freakbrick (FB), however the term FREAKBRICK refers to a workout that I do when I am in the mood for self abuse (mood for self abuse = Build Phase in Tri Training Bible terms). I'll let you know when I have one on the radar. It'll be a couple of months yet. But the workout itself came from Mike Ricci, headcoach of D3 Multisport and the BT coaching program. I can't take credit for it. But I like it. A lot.

Edited by Bill 2009-04-19 8:10 AM
2009-04-19 8:19 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
2009-04-19 10:26 AM

New user
Gautier, MS
I want in!    Hopefully there is room available....

Name: Cole

Story:  I have been doing Adventure Races (canoe/bike/run) for the last few years and have done several 5K's and 10K's over the past few years but just got the tri bug this year.  A few of my coworkers are into it, and one of them is training for a full IM in September so he has me inspired. 

Family Status:  Married with no children.  My wife has done a few running events and an Adventure Race also and is considering picking up triathlons this year. 

Current Training:  I have been training in running and biking pretty regular over the past 4 months, mainly in preperations running and Adventure events.  I signed up at the YMCA this past week and plan to start swimming Monday.  I have been eyeing the Oly training programs on BT and will probably start one of them for an Oly I plan to do in September.  Perhaps this group can help me pick and tweak a plan. 

This Year's Races:
Azalea Trail 10K - Completed in 56 min
Mobile Urban Adventure Race - Complete in 3:02 (4th place by less than 2 minutes! uughh!)
Grandman Spring Tri
Baton Rouge Urban Adventure Race
Sunfish Spring Tri
Coastal Oly

Weightloss:  Not one of my goals really.  I am 6'4" and weigh 200-205 depending on the day.  I am about as lean as I want to be and would prefer to keep my nutrition up to a level that keeps me from dropping below 200lb.  I was at 226 when I started training for last years Adventure Races so I have accomplished my weight loss needs already. 

So... that is my spill.  I'm fairly new to this website, so I am not completely sure how this program works.  Will we all communicate via this thread for the whole time or what?

Thanks!
2009-04-19 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Holy Crap.  Linked to Aaron's training log - 2.5 hour training days!  He will certainly crush his competition.
Good Luck #1.
steve
2009-04-19 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2095142

User image

Elite
Texas
cole18msu - 2009-04-19 10:26 AM I want in!    Hopefully there is room available....

Name: Cole

Story:  I have been doing Adventure Races (canoe/bike/run) for the last few years and have done several 5K's and 10K's over the past few years but just got the tri bug this year.  A few of my coworkers are into it, and one of them is training for a full IM in September so he has me inspired. 

Family Status:  Married with no children.  My wife has done a few running events and an Adventure Race also and is considering picking up triathlons this year. 

Current Training:  I have been training in running and biking pretty regular over the past 4 months, mainly in preperations running and Adventure events.  I signed up at the YMCA this past week and plan to start swimming Monday.  I have been eyeing the Oly training programs on BT and will probably start one of them for an Oly I plan to do in September.  Perhaps this group can help me pick and tweak a plan. 

This Year's Races:
Azalea Trail 10K - Completed in 56 min
Mobile Urban Adventure Race - Complete in 3:02 (4th place by less than 2 minutes! uughh!)
Grandman Spring Tri
Baton Rouge Urban Adventure Race
Sunfish Spring Tri
Coastal Oly

Weightloss:  Not one of my goals really.  I am 6'4" and weigh 200-205 depending on the day.  I am about as lean as I want to be and would prefer to keep my nutrition up to a level that keeps me from dropping below 200lb.  I was at 226 when I started training for last years Adventure Races so I have accomplished my weight loss needs already. 

So... that is my spill.  I'm fairly new to this website, so I am not completely sure how this program works.  Will we all communicate via this thread for the whole time or what?

Thanks!

Hey Cole... welcome. The thread is a good place for questions especially so everyone can see the Q/A. You can also use the inspire feature on each other's training logs (highly recommend that in fact). Congrats on the weightloss. In your case you'll be watching nutrition to make sure you're fueled for workouts and races, and eating appropriately for recovery. I'll post some info on how to do those things here soon. Good luck.

2009-04-19 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2095184

User image

Elite
Texas
EvenOlder - 2009-04-19 10:42 AM Holy Crap.  Linked to Aaron's training log - 2.5 hour training days!  He will certainly crush his competition.
Good Luck #1.
steve

Aaron's a beast. He started out around 270 lbs or so if I remember right. Awesome. And he's one of the coolest people I know.
2009-04-19 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2094912

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Bill - 2009-04-19 7:44 AM

Hey Bill...

Hi Cheri. It's going to be good for me to have you here. I've worked the past 8 years as a flight paramedic for a helicopter rescue service. I don't often get to see the people we take care of get up and go tackle a half ironman.

You have one of the earliest races in the group here, so we'll all be on the Cheri bandwagon come May 9th! Do you have your race day pacing and nutrition plans nailed down yet? I like to fine tune those things during the taper so I have something to keep my mind busy as training volume goes down.

Very gald to have you here, both in the group and in the larger sense 5 years after your accident. Welcome to the group!

Happy Sunday everyone!  I'm glad to be part of this group -- I think we have an inspiring mentor who can help each of us at our own level. 

First, I have to thank you Bill for doing what you do -- both as a mentor and as flight paramedic.  It's because of people like you that I am here today!  I'm so thankful that you and others and like you want to do what you do.  I was life-flighted to Pensacola that day, and vividly remember the whole thing.  What a great group of professionals they were, but also compassionate and caring.  Thank you!

So, you ask about race day pacing and nutrition.  I'm a real novice at this.  As far as pacing goes, I've definitely decided that finishing is my goal, and slow and easy will be my mantra.  If I decide to do this again, then I'll worry about time.  But for now I'm just going for comfort.  My background is running, have run quite a few half marathons, and have managed to mostly pace them well.  But I've never done one at the tail end of a long bike ride, so my plan is to not go crazy on the bike.  As far as nutrition, I've been practicing on the bike, but I'm definitely worried about the run.  I've never been able to even drink during a half marathon, so this will be very different for me.  I'm sorta rambling here...  sorry.  Advice is definitely welcome!

Funny coincidence -- I've dragged some co-workers to spin class, and they call that "Cheri's House of Pain". 

Aaron, I hope you do (did?) well today!

2009-04-19 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2095216

User image

Elite
Texas
Sledge - 2009-04-19 11:06 AM

Bill - 2009-04-19 7:44 AM

Happy Sunday everyone!  I'm glad to be part of this group -- I think we have an inspiring mentor who can help each of us at our own level. 

First, I have to thank you Bill for doing what you do -- both as a mentor and as flight paramedic.  It's because of people like you that I am here today!  I'm so thankful that you and others and like you want to do what you do.  I was life-flighted to Pensacola that day, and vividly remember the whole thing.  What a great group of professionals they were, but also compassionate and caring.  Thank you!  It's a rewarding job for sure. It has some obvious downside to it. But seeing people get better is huge.

So, you ask about race day pacing and nutrition.  I'm a real novice at this.  As far as pacing goes, I've definitely decided that finishing is my goal, and slow and easy will be my mantra.  If I decide to do this again, then I'll worry about time.  But for now I'm just going for comfort.  My background is running, have run quite a few half marathons, and have managed to mostly pace them well.  But I've never done one at the tail end of a long bike ride, so my plan is to not go crazy on the bike.  As far as nutrition, I've been practicing on the bike, but I'm definitely worried about the run.  I've never been able to even drink during a half marathon, so this will be very different for me.  I'm sorta rambling here...  sorry.  Advice is definitely welcome! I'll sift through the emails I received from a few expert-types about 1/2 IM nutrtion and post the high points here. The bike is, for me and for many I believe, the better of the two in terms of when you can take in calories. It's hard for me to drink much when I'm running.

What I do: Get a good start for the run by tanking up on the bike. I'll include specifics when I post the details from the advice I received. But starting the run behind the power curve is never good, so you want to come off the bike with good reserves. When I'm on the long course run, I use a combination of concentrated sports drink and watered down gel in a flask. It's not that one is so much better than the other. I just like to have options when there's a chance I may not feel good. You'd be surprised what may sound good 10 miles into a 1/.2 IM run! They key is to find what works for you personally. In a stand alone half mary, as was true for you, you may get by fine without a lot of calorie intake. Of course this is different. And you still have some time to sort out what works best.

Funny coincidence -- I've dragged some co-workers to spin class, and they call that "Cheri's House of Pain". 
Heh... my kind of people. Great minds run amok.

Aaron, I hope you do (did?) well today!

Question for you: What do you feel is preventing you from drinking? Is it because you feel bad or is it that an issue with palate appeal?
2009-04-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2095237

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Bill - 2009-04-19 11:38 AM

Question for you: What do you feel is preventing you from drinking? Is it because you feel bad or is it that an issue with palate appeal?

I choke!  Can't get it down.  It only happens during a race, and I'm sure it has to do with how much I'm exerting myself.  I can't replicate it during training, probably because I'm lazy when I train and usually don't train anywhere close to race pace.  However, I don't expect to run as fast during the HIM as I usually do during a running race, so perhaps I won't have this issue.

2009-04-19 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2095329

User image

Elite
Texas
Sledge - 2009-04-19 12:44 PM

Bill - 2009-04-19 11:38 AM

I choke!  Can't get it down.  It only happens during a race, and I'm sure it has to do with how much I'm exerting myself.  I can't replicate it during training, probably because I'm lazy when I train and usually don't train anywhere close to race pace.  However, I don't expect to run as fast during the HIM as I usually do during a running race, so perhaps I won't have this issue.

Best strategy then is to try it out at 1/2 IM run pace. It probably sounds a little over-the-top to practice drinking, but a 1/2 IM is a little over the top by most measures so... I'd do it.

2009-04-19 3:34 PM

New user

Hi Bill-

NAME:
Joe
STORY: I'm 36 years old and live in Chicago. I was a smoker for 20 years until this past January 6th. I played baseball in college so understand the basic mechanics of fitness and nutrion. After graduating from college, I basically went on and off to the gym once or twice a week, warmed up on an eliptical for 10 minutes and went straight to the weights. My main priorities after (and during) college before meeting my wife was partying my butt off, drinking, and girls. That was the old me. I am now training for my first sprint tri August 30th, the Chicago Tri. I gained interest in the sport after overhearing a couple of buddies discuss beginning to train for tri season in late January.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with no kids.
CURRENT TRAINING: I purchased "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel about a month ago. I have not begun the 12 week training plan yet. Currently, I'm taking swim lessons once a week, cycling once a week, running twice a week, and weight training once a week.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: The Chicago Sprint Triathlon and considering the Harbor Lights Tri in Waukegan,IL the last week of July 26th first.
2009 RACE GOALS:  My goal this year is to finish my first Sprint Tri with a repectable time 1:30 to 1:45.
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'0 ft high and currently weigh 196. I've lost about 8 pounds since January. My goal weight is 185.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOREE: I have a strong drive to succeed and have made this a number one goal in my life. My major motivation is the fact that my wife is pregenant with our first child. I want to be as healthy a father as I can be for my child.

Let me know if I can join your group.

Thanks,

Joe

2009-04-19 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2095547

User image

Elite
Texas
Chicago_Joe - 2009-04-19 3:34 PM

Hi Bill-

NAME:
Joe
STORY: I'm 36 years old and live in Chicago. I was a smoker for 20 years until this past January 6th. I played baseball in college so understand the basic mechanics of fitness and nutrion. After graduating from college, I basically went on and off to the gym once or twice a week, warmed up on an eliptical for 10 minutes and went straight to the weights. My main priorities after (and during) college before meeting my wife was partying my butt off, drinking, and girls. That was the old me. I am now training for my first sprint tri August 30th, the Chicago Tri. I gained interest in the sport after overhearing a couple of buddies discuss beginning to train for tri season in late January.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with no kids.
CURRENT TRAINING: I purchased "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel about a month ago. I have not begun the 12 week training plan yet. Currently, I'm taking swim lessons once a week, cycling once a week, running twice a week, and weight training once a week.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: The Chicago Sprint Triathlon and considering the Harbor Lights Tri in Waukegan,IL the last week of July 26th first.
2009 RACE GOALS:  My goal this year is to finish my first Sprint Tri with a repectable time 1:30 to 1:45.
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'0 ft high and currently weigh 196. I've lost about 8 pounds since January. My goal weight is 185.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOREE: I have a strong drive to succeed and have made this a number one goal in my life. My major motivation is the fact that my wife is pregenant with our first child. I want to be as healthy a father as I can be for my child.

Let me know if I can join your group.

Thanks,

Joe

Gotta have a baseball player named Chicago Joe in the group. Welcome. Congrats on the incoming little one. They change everything. Mine are 9, 16 months, and 3 months. Yeah we don't know how that happened either...

2009-04-19 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Bill: I know exactly what happened.
1st kid:  Normal thing that married people do.
Next 7 years:  Normal getting bored with spouse
2 years ago:  Triathlon training transformed you into a fit stud.  Wife now finds you irresistable.  Commence baby making #2 and #3.

Everyone:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=155234&posts=1&start=1

My thread on today's bike ride.  I'm stoked.

steve

2009-04-19 7:07 PM

New user
Gautier, MS
Thank for taking me at the last minute Bill.  I'm looking forward to training hard and learning plenty.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26