BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-08-08 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy
Ok, Runner's World Sept. 2009, The Rules, Revisted
Please weigh in:

Conventional: Periodization/Training cycles leading up to a race
New wisdom: Train the same weekly cycle all year, increasing distance/intensity as you progress.

I've done better each race, while training pretty much steady weekly cycle between races.  No real taper, and no real "killer weeks" either.  I have changed the cycle between races, but kept with a single weekly schedule until the race.

Comments?

steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2009-08-08 7:23 PM

2009-08-08 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Incidentally, I've got 8 weeks before my next sprint.  I'm toying with a 8 week plan of periodization, or one of the two:
Sun: Practice complete sprint (500y, 13mi, 3.1mi)
Mon: Off
Tue: Run 3x1mi intervals
Wed: Swim
Thu: Bike Hard
Fri: Off
Sat: Easy run 4mi or 5mi

Sun: Practice complete sprint (as above)
Mon: Swim
Tue: Run 3x1 intervals
Wed: Bike Hard
Thu: Run Easy 4 or 5mi
Sat: Off

I'm not sure how I feel about rest, and wonder if a nice 2 day stretch for full recovery is better than two off days spread out in the week.  3rd option is to skip both the complete sprint and one day off, so something like:

Sun: Long Run
Mon: Swim
Tue: Run intervals
Wed: Bike hard
Thur: Run race distance at tempo
Sat: Long Bike

That schedule looks like it would suck, however.

steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2009-08-08 7:30 PM
2009-08-09 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Just knocked out my 1st Oly distance race. It was hot windy day in west Texas, but on the whole I was real pleased with my day. Finishing up the race report tonight, but here's the skinny:

1500m swim - 32:02 (note to self: buy some anti-fog for goggles)

T1 - :45

40K bike - 1:19:30 (nasty headwind going out, came screaming back in to even out the average. Pretty pleased averaging 18.4mph, especially with my lack of saddle time)

T2 - 1:33 (I put on socks and my Brooks instead of my racing flats due to the offroad nature of the run)

6K run - 56:34 (It was offroad, sandy, loose rock, hot, windy, uphill. What more can I say)

Overall time - 2:50:26, good enough for 12/17 AG and 107/191 overall. A MOPish effort. It was a Regional Championship race, so it was packed with some serious athletes.

What was everyone else up to this weekend?
2009-08-09 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
An Olympic - Awesome.
Congrats on hammering it out.
2009-08-10 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome job on the race! I had my first Oly in May and it was tough. Tryign to avenge that race in September with my 2nd Oly which from my understanding will practically be the same course. Really hoping to see some improvements especially on the run portion.
2009-08-10 2:32 PM

New user
Great job Gran!

I hope to accomplish an Oly next year after I knock out a few Sprints this year. I still have a tremendous amount of room for improvement among all three sports.

Joe

2009-08-11 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2336994

User image

Elite
Texas
gran - 2009-08-09 3:15 PM Just knocked out my 1st Oly distance race. It was hot windy day in west Texas, but on the whole I was real pleased with my day. Finishing up the race report tonight, but here's the skinny: 1500m swim - 32:02 (note to self: buy some anti-fog for goggles) T1 - :45 40K bike - 1:19:30 (nasty headwind going out, came screaming back in to even out the average. Pretty pleased averaging 18.4mph, especially with my lack of saddle time) T2 - 1:33 (I put on socks and my Brooks instead of my racing flats due to the offroad nature of the run) 6K run - 56:34 (It was offroad, sandy, loose rock, hot, windy, uphill. What more can I say) Overall time - 2:50:26, good enough for 12/17 AG and 107/191 overall. A MOPish effort. It was a Regional Championship race, so it was packed with some serious athletes. What was everyone else up to this weekend?

Nice work brother. That's a very good effort, especially for a first OLY.

I managed to get in a long (for me) run. Saturday I was wiped out from having to load up on benadryl. Apparently I'm developing new allergies as I approach 40... crazy.
2009-08-12 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2336235

User image

Elite
Texas
EvenOlder - 2009-08-08 7:22 PM Ok, Runner's World Sept. 2009, The Rules, Revisted
Please weigh in:

Conventional: Periodization/Training cycles leading up to a race
New wisdom: Train the same weekly cycle all year, increasing distance/intensity as you progress.

I've done better each race, while training pretty much steady weekly cycle between races.  No real taper, and no real "killer weeks" either.  I have changed the cycle between races, but kept with a single weekly schedule until the race.

Comments?

steve

I'm a fan of periodized training. It makes sense to build volume to a point, but volume beyond that point (for me anyway) presents a problem specific to some injuries I've had. Ultimately for age groupers I feel like the mix of volume and intensity boils down to two things: time available and distance of the race. If an individual wants to train for an IM, they will need more volume than someone training for a sprint of course. But the % of time at intensity will be much higher for a sprint plan.

It's also important to weigh the risk/reward balance of your workouts. Higher risk generally equals higher reward, to a point. High run volume will improve your running base, but as volume goes up so does the risk of injury. High intensity bike work will help improve anaerobic endurance, but too much of that and you may actually lose fitness.

I'd have to read the article to really weigh in, but that's my take on periodization. It's important to say too that being consistent trumps they underlying nuances of the training calendar. As long as the plan is reasonable for an athlete's fitness and abilities, an athelete who comsistently completes the training will beat an athlete of similar ability who has a better plan but doesn't put the time in.

2009-08-13 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
I think you're right, everyone is different and what is the most consistent for you is what to do.
2009-08-13 4:21 PM

New user
Hey Guys-

Want to add a couple of new toys to my Triathlon gear. Was wondering if anyone can make reccomendations for a indoor bike trainer and swimming fins?

Hope every one is having an awesome week.

Thanks,

Joe
2009-08-14 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2347189

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Chicago_Joe - 2009-08-13 4:21 PM

Hey Guys-

Want to add a couple of new toys to my Triathlon gear. Was wondering if anyone can make reccomendations for a indoor bike trainer and swimming fins?

Hope every one is having an awesome week.

Thanks,

Joe

I have a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer. Granted, I haven't yet used it enough to warrant buying it, but the times I have it's been great.

On a side note, I'd like to add a tri bike to my toy box. Does anyone have tips on how to set up a slush fund my wife doesn't know about and then how to convince her I got a "free" bike when I bring it home??

2009-08-14 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Absolutely, I'm an expert at hiding money from my wife.
1. CASH only
2. Best done when depositing checks, simply pull some from the check at deposit time.
3. Also, make sure you pull cash at the grocery store when using your debit.  As in, when it asks if you want some cash, pull the most you can and then "lose" the receipt.
4. Get friends to pay for stuff, then tell your wife you owe them the amount + a reasonable fictional amount.  She can get the cash for you in this case.

Figuring at $3000.00 for the bike:
$900 per month/ average $30/day = 3 months or so.
Usually you can do $500 or so from the paycheck and the other $400 from steps 3 & 4.
It's much easier if you are self-employed.

And the "free" never works.  Tell her you got in on "Sale."  Women are genetically unable to resist a "sale" and she will be forced to accept it.  Tell her it was a year-end-clearance at the LBS (the more "sale" talk the better) and that you talked the owner down $100 because of a nick in the paint (again, a "deal").  Say it cost you $350, and put that on a credit card.  She'll have to admit it's the steal of the century, and if you get a really bright color they like that too.  Say you're sorry about spending the $350, but you health is really important to you.  The End.

The above is all tongue-in-cheek humor, and has no basis in reality.

Cheers,
steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2009-08-14 2:00 PM
2009-08-14 2:09 PM

New user
Steve-

That's freakin' hilarous. Well thought out. I'm going to use that startegy when I buy a new bike. How's this "Honey, the winter months yield monster sales, got this new bike for 75% off just because it's January..."

Joe
2009-08-14 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2349175

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

EvenOlder - 2009-08-14 1:55 PM Absolutely, I'm an expert at hiding money from my wife.
1. CASH only
2. Best done when depositing checks, simply pull some from the check at deposit time.
3. Also, make sure you pull cash at the grocery store when using your debit.  As in, when it asks if you want some cash, pull the most you can and then "lose" the receipt.
4. Get friends to pay for stuff, then tell your wife you owe them the amount + a reasonable fictional amount.  She can get the cash for you in this case.

Usually you can do $500 or so from the paycheck and the other $400 from steps 3 & 4.

And the "free" never works.  Tell her you got in on "Sale."  Women are genetically unable to resist a "sale" and she will be forced to accept it.  Tell her it was a year-end-clearance at the LBS (the more "sale" talk the better) and that you talked the owner down $100 because of a nick in the paint (again, a "deal").  Say it cost you $350, and put that on a credit card.  She'll have to admit it's the steal of the century, and if you get a really bright color they like that too.  Say you're sorry about spending the $350, but you health is really important to you.  The End.

Cheers,
steve

Too funny!  But now I know where my husband gets all of his toys from...

2009-08-14 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2349175

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
EvenOlder - 2009-08-14 1:55 PM

Absolutely, I'm an expert at hiding money from my wife.
1. CASH only

Cheers,
steve

YES!!!

I'm hitting the grocery store on the way home today to collect my first installment!!!
2009-08-14 6:59 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
That's how I got my new $75 QR Hydrofull wetsuit  and my new $450 Computrainer. Of course I didn't embezzle the funds, but they were paid for with a hurricane bonus. But having to fess up to the real price up front would be painful.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26