General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unbalanced starting point for training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-13 11:17 AM

New user

Subject: Unbalanced starting point for training
I'm hoping to complete a Sprint Tri late in the summer.  I've been swimming for a couple months and can manage a full mile swim at reasonable pace. I need to keep this path to complete a 2 mile swim in the fall. But I haven't started runing or biking yet...

How would you suggest I alter the 16 or 20 week sprint training program to suit?  Should I keep my swim training intact and add to it by using a biathlon program (bike/run)?

Thank you!

2009-04-13 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2080853

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Unbalanced starting point for training
pwright73 - 2009-04-13 9:17 AM I'm hoping to complete a Sprint Tri late in the summer.  I've been swimming for a couple months and can manage a full mile swim at reasonable pace. I need to keep this path to complete a 2 mile swim in the fall. But I haven't started runing or biking yet...

How would you suggest I alter the 16 or 20 week sprint training program to suit?  Should I keep my swim training intact and add to it by using a biathlon program (bike/run)?

Thank you!

Is the 2 mile a separate thing?

If you have a race in a single sport that you are gunning for, keep the training up for that, don't drop it down to match a lower level in the training plan. Especially since it's swimming, you won't be dealing with the extra impact, etc. Rock the swim split and then you'll be way ahead of the pack for the rest of it!

John
2009-04-13 1:02 PM

BT has some sport-focused plans to work on any deficiencies - run-focused, swim-focused, bike-focused. If you feel as though something REALLY needs work, you could use one of those plans. But I wouldn't drop off your level of swimming now - keep it consistent and work in the other two sports. I guess the next question would be - how often are you swimming in a week? You don't need to be swimming 5x a week, for example, if you can't run a mile straight - some of that time could be better spent working on your run.

2009-04-13 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Choose a triathlon plan that suits your run and biking needs and just carry on with your own swim plan instead of the plans -although for variety you may find some of their workout ideas are useful.
I essentially do the same thing because I swim with a masters group. I just substitute the plans swims with my masters sessions. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unbalanced starting point for training Rss Feed