BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-07-13 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2082508

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Subject: RE: kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!!
Mainer! Congrats on getting 2nd in your age group!

2009-07-13 12:02 PM

houston
OK so I am getting ready to get serious about training for malibu Oly in Sept (my first oly).  I have decided to not try and rationalize the training plan myself but to stick to a training plan on BT (8 wks to Oly).

The hardest thing for me is sticking to the heart rate zones.  I ran 6 miles saturday and I was in upper Zone 3 to Zone 4 the whole time, and I thought I did great.

Well today I went and got VO2 testing.  It was very interesting.  They wrote out my zones for me and showed me that at the zones I have been working out I am burning protein instead of fat.  Probably the reason my six pack isn't quite showing yet.

They demonstrated to me that while I am very fit I am have not built a good base and showed me how building a base could help my training.  I must say I knew this but to see it graphically was cool.

I cannot imagine going for  a run for 1 hr at Zone 2.  That will be like a stroll, but maybe I wont feel as beat up going into the race.

Do you guys use heart rate zones?

Garth
2009-07-13 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

short answer...   yes. 

heart rate is theonly true measure to see how hard you are working.  It will respond to the numerous other variables that have an affect on your body such as pacing, heat, humidity, hydration, nutrition, hills, injury, etc.

2009-07-13 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

care to share your max VO2?

2009-07-13 1:10 PM

houston
My VO2 max was 50.4, and I am 39 yrs old.
Zone 2 is 153-159
Zone 3 is 159-166
zone 4 is 166-176

So based on above I did my long endurance run this weekend at upper zone 3 to 4 which I guess is bad.

G
2009-07-16 3:25 PM

Wow, haven't posted anything in well over a month, however, lots happening...
Did my first ever triathlon last Saturday (Anchor Bay), a sprint distance (.5 mile, 11 miles , and 3 miles) and turned 49 two days later. I can honestly say that I'm hooked on triathlon; the greatest thing ever (well, maybe second)! Been working out like a mad-man and sowehere in there I've managed to stop smoking cigarettes; a good thing after 30 years   So...getting ready for an olympic distance in August and looking forward to it....no brain-no pain, or something like that. Happy racing folks!

2009-07-16 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2290076

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

weber02 - 2009-07-16 2:25 PM I can honestly say that I'm hooked on triathlon; the greatest thing ever (well, maybe second)!

Whats the 1st greatest thing ever

2009-07-16 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2290076

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
weber02 - 2009-07-16 4:25 PM Wow, haven't posted anything in well over a month, however, lots happening...
Did my first ever triathlon last Saturday (Anchor Bay), a sprint distance (.5 mile, 11 miles , and 3 miles) and turned 49 two days later. I can honestly say that I'm hooked on triathlon; the greatest thing ever (well, maybe second)! Been working out like a mad-man and sowehere in there I've managed to stop smoking cigarettes; a good thing after 30 years   So...getting ready for an olympic distance in August and looking forward to it....no brain-no pain, or something like that. Happy racing folks!

Paul, Congratulations on completing your first tri AND on quitting smoking Laughing
2009-07-16 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
I just started using a garmin 305

I've used it for roughly 5 bikes and 5 runs, so I'm starting to see the typical range (min, avg, max) that I'm in for my workouts

For runs, I just compared today with my previous runs and both my avg and max numbers are down for same distance, same pace - so I guess that's good right ?  working less for same results ?

For bike, yesterday I rode a route that I've ridden numerous times, attempting to ave 20 mph for 60 min....kinda stuck on 19.3 mph the last couple attempts....anyway, my MAX HR for yesterday's bike was recorded on the Garmin as 208 ??? 

WHAT ??  None of my previous bikes or runs were even close to that and I didn't feel anything different, so what happened? I thought maybe the garmin was broken as I had worn the HR strap when I swam in last weekends triathlon (put the watch part on in T1), but then today's run was in line with past runs, so is there any explanation for this spike?
2009-07-16 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2290390

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-07-16 5:04 PM I just started using a garmin 305

I've used it for roughly 5 bikes and 5 runs, so I'm starting to see the typical range (min, avg, max) that I'm in for my workouts

For runs, I just compared today with my previous runs and both my avg and max numbers are down for same distance, same pace - so I guess that's good right ?  working less for same results ?

For bike, yesterday I rode a route that I've ridden numerous times, attempting to ave 20 mph for 60 min....kinda stuck on 19.3 mph the last couple attempts....anyway, my MAX HR for yesterday's bike was recorded on the Garmin as 208 ??? 

WHAT ??  None of my previous bikes or runs were even close to that and I didn't feel anything different, so what happened? I thought maybe the garmin was broken as I had worn the HR strap when I swam in last weekends triathlon (put the watch part on in T1), but then today's run was in line with past runs, so is there any explanation for this spike?

2 possible culprits:

1.  if you ahve a wireless bike computer, this often interferes with heart rate signals.  I got rid of all my wireless computers and now only have wired systems because of that.

2.  dry between chest and heart rate strap.  If it is not soaking wet underneath the strap, faulty readings are common.  I usually slobber on my strap befroe riding.  It's kind of gross, but get's me through until I get really sweaty.  Even then, in dryer climates, it will dry out. 

2009-07-17 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine

OK thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.  I'm satisfied with this being any problem OTHER than cardiac arrest Wink

Well, as you all know, my race was last Saturday.  I took Sun/Mon/Tue as rest days, as my legs felt "heavy" and I had very slight shin splint type tightness/pain that I didn't want to encourage.  Back at it Wed w/ a good bike workout, Thur for a run, and today I hit the bike and swam.  I have to say that my body is adjusting to these workloads and what would have put me on the couch with my legs up resting w/ icepacks and taking the following day off is now just another day working out.... I'm feeling good and looking forward to this next segment of training to prepare for my next race.  I had 12 weeks of training to go from non specific training to raceday.  Now I'm in the groove, have that 12 weeks of training and a race in my backpocket and now have about 10 weeks to go before my next race.  Hoping that this next block of training time will push me further along, especially in the run segment. 

How's everyone else doing ?  Anybody racing this weekend ?

2009-07-17 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2290276

Ha....and you all thought I was gonna say something that started with a S! Actually, the best thing ever is being a dad to my 17 year old daughter, Emily.
2009-07-17 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2292409

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
weber02 - 2009-07-17 2:55 PM Ha....and you all thought I was gonna say something that started with a S! Actually, the best thing ever is being a dad to my 17 year old daughter, Emily.

Aww... I was gonna make a remark about how this is a family show, so you couldn't say. Turns out it is a family show!
2009-07-24 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine

Hey everyone, long time no speakee.....

How's the training going and more importantly, who is racing this weekend or soon thereafter ??

2009-07-27 12:10 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Mainer, how was your TdF challenge?
2009-07-29 12:29 PM

So who is racing this weekend? I'm doing a 5K on Friday to warm up for a 10 mile trail run Saturday morning...preps for an olympic tri on August 23rd. Four folks from my tri group (Infinite Multisport Triathlon Club) ran the Ironman, Lake Placid last weekend. Wish I could have been there but not ready for it yet. My swim is still slow and not my event by any means. I guess that's why they say "Swim for show...". Nonetheless, need a ton of work on speed in that event and can't make up enough time on the bike or run to beat the competitors...yet. Ironman next year for my 50th...Wooo Hooo! Ain't goin' down without a fight...nor gently into that good night!

Happy racing to all this coming weekend.

No brain..no pain!

Edited by weber02 2009-07-29 12:33 PM

2009-07-29 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2310271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
mattierocks - 2009-07-27 1:10 PM Mainer, how was your TdF challenge?

I had set two goals, one for total # of rides, one for total # of minutes.....I hit both, barely.  Final week I rode every day, and there was 2 days I had to ride twice.  It was a good challenge, just waiting on the overall results...

How'd you do ?  Peel yourself away from FarmTown long enough to ride? Wink
2009-07-29 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2315223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
weber02 - 2009-07-29 1:29 PM  Ironman next year for my 50th...Wooo Hooo!

Seriously?  That's awesome ! 

I was following along the athlete tracker during IMLP and (I've got one sprint under my belt) it made me want to sign up !!!  Maybe in several years for me, I just wouldn't have the hours to commit to training for it right now, young family and all.
2009-08-01 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
anyone racing this weekend?

we've finally turned the corner with all the rain we had and I think we'll be seeing the sun for the rest of the summer, hopefully.  makes it easier to motivate myself to get outside and bike or run

how's everyone doing?
2009-08-04 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Ken, question about race strategy and pacing for a standard sprint distance of ~500 yard swim, ~15 mile bike, 5k run

the swim and bike are my strong points right now, i'm improving on the run but realistically expect only to try to hang on during the run

for the swim, we're talking less than 10 minutes total in the water......just hammer it or what?  not long enough to really gain any benefit from cruising along at a slower pace to conserve energy??

for the bike, i just rode the actual race course, which is unchanged from last year.  i went for it and my time would have been the 3rd fastest when compared to last years results.  knowing that i'm looking to just basically hang on during the run, would you recommend hammering the bike mercilessly too?

i'm trying for the best overall time/placing keeping myself as competitive as possible in my AG while also knowing that this is my first year tri-ing and also that last year's results are last year's results and that people still have to compete this year.

ps where the heck is everyone else lately?
2009-08-04 9:02 PM

houston
Hey group.  Anybody doing one of the plans on BT.  I am doing 8 week to an olympic and I am so far behind.  With my schedule I just cannot keep up with the plan.  I am starting to get really stressed about my first olympic in September.  I am even having those dreams where you dream that you find out you have a final and you have not studied all semester.

I can run 6 miles, I can swim 1650 in a pool, I can bike 25 miles, but all together I just don't know.  The swim is what scares me.  Swam 2000 today, but got out of the pool so dizzy I had to lie down for a while.

Guess I just need to keep pushing and hope my body can make some quick adaptations. 

2009-08-05 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2328501

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
gpdtx - 2009-08-04 10:02 PM Hey group.  Anybody doing one of the plans on BT.  I am doing 8 week to an olympic and I am so far behind.  With my schedule I just cannot keep up with the plan.  I am starting to get really stressed about my first olympic in September.  I am even having those dreams where you dream that you find out you have a final and you have not studied all semester.

I can run 6 miles, I can swim 1650 in a pool, I can bike 25 miles, but all together I just don't know.  The swim is what scares me.  Swam 2000 today, but got out of the pool so dizzy I had to lie down for a while.

Guess I just need to keep pushing and hope my body can make some quick adaptations. 

Hi Garth,
Yes, I'm following (roughly) the BT 20week Sprint plan - which is 3 workouts per week for each sport.  I say roughly because lately I've been doing my own thing - I've cut back on swimming in order to increase volume on run and bike.  I think though if I were to compare what I'm doing vs what the program calls for, I'm at least hitting the target minutes weekly.  Keep plugging away !
2009-08-05 11:20 AM

houston
It is great that you are getting the minutes.  I am not even close.  Just don't have the time.  I was actually shocked at the volume of time needed to train for olympic, although I think the plans on BT are aggressive.  I am still getting in the best shape of my life, and loving it.  But my wife is not so pleased with the schedule.
2009-08-09 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2329569

User image

New user
gpdtx - 2009-08-05 11:20 AM It is great that you are getting the minutes.  I am not even close.  Just don't have the time.  I was actually shocked at the volume of time needed to train for olympic, although I think the plans on BT are aggressive.  I am still getting in the best shape of my life, and loving it.  But my wife is not so pleased with the schedule.

haven't been on here in a while because of my schedule, I've even had to scale back my training or exercising.  I was doing the 20 wk to a 1/2 but have realized after doing an oly, I  really don't have enough base for this type of training.  I need to just do long, slow, easy times but if I don't do it first thing in the early morning hours, its all screwed.  And I've always been in fairly good shape but I can't seem to push myself (like I could 20 years ago...)  Anyway,  I read somewhere the first year of tri-ing training should not go over zone 1-2 BPM.  It sounds kind of boring, but I think they might be right.   At least thats what I've experienced. 

Here's  a question?  I have had this nagging soreness/pain in my left heel/arch for 2 months.  I've tried stretching it out with calf stretches and what not, but it still seems to be there.  It acts like a sprain. What else can I do? Any help would be appreciated. 
2009-08-09 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2336933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
fire eagle - 2009-08-09 3:13 PM
Here's  a question?  I have had this nagging soreness/pain in my left heel/arch for 2 months.  I've tried stretching it out with calf stretches and what not, but it still seems to be there.  It acts like a sprain. What else can I do? Any help would be appreciated. 

I experienced plantar fasciitis a few years back.  Your description could be a touch of that.  Google it.  My pain was also under my heel and flared further along the bottom of my foot towards the arch.  Mine was bad enough that if I wasn't thinking first thing in the morning when I hopped out of bed and tried to walk it would literally dump me on the floor.  Lots of stretching out of the achillies and calf areas, also using a hard ball, putting as much weight as you can on your foot on the ball and rolling it around, grinding it so it hurt as much as possible eventually helped.  It's something that starts out sorta painful but gets progressively worse over time so if that's what you have, I'd address it quickly.  Ignoring it will not make it go away, nor will doing nothing.  IMHO. 

As to the training, this is also my first year.  I found the first 3 months were killer.  Especially the run piece.  I feel like I'm hitting a groove right now and things are flowing so keep at it, as your body adjusts to the volumes and intensity then you may see that you can handle larger and larger loads.  Good luck !
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  

of 11