General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression shorts for Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-15 8:19 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Compression shorts for Sprint Triathlon
Hi everyone,

Would it be adviseable to wear compression shorts instead of tri shorts for a sprint triathlon?  I have my first triathlon coming up in a couple of weeks, and I'm just not sure if I can find tri shorts in time.  I have bike shorts, but it sounds like those are not good in the water because of the sponge like padding.  I can easily pick up a pair of Under Armour compression shorts at a Dick's sporting goods, but wasn't sure if people typically wear these things for races.

Thanks in advance. 

2009-04-15 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2085498

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Subject: RE: Compression shorts for Sprint Triathlon
Compression shorts would be OK, but you wont get the pad for the bike.  But its a sprint so its only like 15 miles or so, so its not 'nessesary', just more comfy w/.  You're right about bike shorts though, DONT. 

I think you're from Mass, given the races you've run.  Instead of going to Dicks, goto REI or call some local bike shops and see if they carry tri gear.  Out here in Western Mass, I have 3 LBS's that carry tri gear w/in 10 miles of me, 3 more w/in 25. Out in eastern mass, there's a ton of shops that carry tri gear - see the mass forum, there's a thread about tri bike shops.  And you have a month until your first tri (5/17)  You easily can order something online and get it in time.  By early next week if you order today. 

As far as it being 'adviseable' - tri shorts will be better than comprssion shorts, if compression shorts were better, there wouldn't be tri shorts.
2009-04-15 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
For mine, I got a pair of Tyr Swimsuit shorts with the bike short length legs.
I got them for about $13 at my local sport chalet.
For a sprint, the lack of padding did not matter.

You can see them in my profile pic.
2009-04-15 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I forgot the name, they are called "jammer" swimsuits.
2009-04-15 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Little Al - 2009-04-15 9:19 AM Hi everyone,

Would it be advisable to wear compression shorts instead of Tri shorts for a sprint triathlon?  I have my first triathlon coming up in a couple of weeks, and I'm just not sure if I can find Tri shorts in time.  I have bike shorts, but it sounds like those are not good in the water because of the sponge like padding.  I can easily pick up a pair of Under Armour compression shorts at a Dick's sporting goods, but wasn't sure if people typically wear these things for races.

Thanks in advance. 
Why don't you just order a pair of Tri shorts on-line? You can have them in a few days.
2009-04-16 7:53 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for all the advice.  I called my LBS and they had some Specialized tri shorts, but they were about $70.  I also saw that there is an REI not too far from where I work and their gear was a little cheaper, but there stuff still seemed a little on the pricey side for my budget (greater than $40 on average).  Considering I've never raced in a triathlon before, I don't think I'm ready to make that commitment just yet.  If I like this sport, then I will be willing to make that investment.

I think I'm going to order some tri shorts online from Hannulink.  They seem to be pretty inexpensive (around $15).  I've never really ordered clothes online, and I guess I was just concerned about having them not fit, then having to return them, etc.  I like to see the items before I purchase them, but for $15 I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again. 

2009-04-16 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2088264

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
LittleAl - 2009-04-16 8:53 AM Thanks for all the advice.  I called my LBS and they had some Specialized tri shorts, but they were about $70.  I also saw that there is an REI not too far from where I work and their gear was a little cheaper, but there stuff still seemed a little on the pricey side for my budget (greater than $40 on average).  Considering I've never raced in a triathlon before, I don't think I'm ready to make that commitment just yet.  If I like this sport, then I will be willing to make that investment.

I think I'm going to order some tri shorts online from Hannulink.  They seem to be pretty inexpensive (around $15).  I've never really ordered clothes online, and I guess I was just concerned about having them not fit, then having to return them, etc.  I like to see the items before I purchase them, but for $15 I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again. 

I got my trisuit from them last year and have been happy w/ it.  Look on ebay too, Hannulink has a store.

And if you dont continue w/ tri's, the tri shorts still make for good bike shorts.  And you can swim in them.  Sometimes when I'm on a ride, I'll stop by a swimming hole and take a quick dip.
2009-04-23 2:25 PM

User image

Wakefield
Just throwing it out there...you could always wear the compressions during the swim and when you get to transition you can pull on some bike shorts, then when you get back take them off. Just a thought.
2009-04-24 9:30 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for all the help.  I purchased a pair of Zoots triathlon shorts from Hannulink and they are great!  I wore them for two rides and one run so far, and all in all good.  They are a little shorter then I had wanted, but for $15 (including shipping and handling), I can't complain.

Thanks again to everyone for their help 
2009-04-24 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I have a buddy who does all his sprints in bike shorts and he swears the padding doesn't bother him.  It could do in a pinch.  
2009-04-24 2:06 PM

User image

Wakefield
Good Luck with your training and races LittleAl!

2009-04-24 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks alot.  Maybe I'll see you at the Crabman in Matunuck.  I'm going for my first tri in a few weeks, and if I like it then I'm going to try that one in July.  Hopefully registration will still be open in a month.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression shorts for Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed