General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BIkes conundrum! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-15 1:55 PM

Cranston
Subject: BIkes conundrum!
Any advice...please! 

So I am competing in my first tri in August and I am currently using my mountain bike.  Originally there was going to be a  "mountain bike" division in the race, but they have decided against that.  Knowing that I am already struggling with my ultra heavy bike, I have been investigating getting a road bike.  I have looked at everything from your basic Kent 21 speed sold at my local mom and pop retailer to Specialized and Jamis bikes at bike shops.  I have gotton mixed feedback from people on what I should  invest in a bike.  Some have said to get a quick and dirty bike for $150 and be sure that I even like road bikes before investing.  Others have said forget about that and start with an entry level performance bike like the Dolce or the Jamis Femme.  Any thoughts?  I hate to buy a budget busting bike if I don't have too, but I also don't want to drop $150 on a pile of crud. 

2009-04-15 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2086656

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: BIkes conundrum!
shoo - 2009-04-15 11:55 AM Any advice...please! 

So I am competing in my first tri in August and I am currently using my mountain bike.  Originally there was going to be a  "mountain bike" division in the race, but they have decided against that.  Knowing that I am already struggling with my ultra heavy bike, I have been investigating getting a road bike.  I have looked at everything from your basic Kent 21 speed sold at my local mom and pop retailer to Specialized and Jamis bikes at bike shops.  I have gotton mixed feedback from people on what I should  invest in a bike.  Some have said to get a quick and dirty bike for $150 and be sure that I even like road bikes before investing.  Others have said forget about that and start with an entry level performance bike like the Dolce or the Jamis Femme.  Any thoughts?  I hate to buy a budget busting bike if I don't have too, but I also don't want to drop $150 on a pile of crud. 

What is "budget busting" for you? What is the top end of what you might want to spend? That will help narrow the range somewhat.

Check the classifieds, ebay, craigslist, etc. You can find some really nice entry level road bikes for fairly cheap.

John
2009-04-15 2:02 PM

User image

Hawai'i
keep your mountain bike and see how your season works out. Don't worry about what division you are racing in and just get out there and train. When the race comes enjoy the day and see how your training has paid off.

You can make a mountain bike more efficient by putting road tires on it and getting clipless pedals.

I am in year 3 of training with my mountain bike and have done 2 tris so far. I want to buy a new bike but the finances just aren't there and I still get my workouts in and still get to race. Buying anything for 150 bucks seems like you will get something not worth much and you won't be happy with it for long. So skip that step and work on you until you know that you want to invest more time and money into the sport.

Good luck
2009-04-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2086675

Cranston
Thanks!  I really don't have much more than $300-$400 bucks to put toward the tri...I had no idea it would be such an expensive sport.  I'll keep my eyes on the sites you recommended.  Hopefull there are other 5 ft tall triathletes out there
2009-04-15 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2086691

Cranston
Wow...in all of my conversations..no one mentioned changing the tires on my bike.  Good place to start.  Thanks a bunch.
2009-04-15 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlestown
If 300-400 is the budget for the entire tri, then i wouldn't suggest looking into getting a bike.  I got a road bike off craigslist (100 miles on it +/-) for $450.  That was about 55% off the retail price.  You can definitely find deals, especially if you're willing to buy used gear but overall, it is a very expensive sport.  Keep your eyes on craigslist, ebay like the previous post said but if you're just going to have fun and try this out, switching your tires to slicks is a great place to start.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BIkes conundrum! Rss Feed