United States
53F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 51m 15s
Overall Rank = 507/1843
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 57/151
Pre-race routine:

banana with peanut butter a couple hours prior to race, half package of instant oatmeal. Hitched a ride from motel to Napa High School with another runner, then caught a bus up the valley to Calistoga, light rain, cool.
Event warmup:

Bus stopped about 100m from start at edge of Calistoga, stretched out on bus to stay warm (drizzling), checked gear bag, hit the head, waited about 20 minutes for race to start.
Run
  • 3h 51m 15s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I broke every rule insofar as trying new things on race day, but oh well, it wasn't my first rodeo. Four days prior I started taking Hammer Race Day Boost capsules. On race day I took Anti-fatigue capsules and Endurolyte capsules an hour prior to race, then every hour during race. Finally, I made up 4 one-hour bottles of Perpetuem, carrying two and getting two more from my wife at spots along the course. I nursed them for fuel, taking additional water at breaks for hydration. Other than a weird experience when I thought I was going to heave about mile 19, I had no issues whatsoever. I stayed fueled properly, no muscle burns or cramps, legs felt great. The only times I stopped during the entire run were to dump a rock out of my shoe, or to take in water, walking for several steps...that's it.

I carried an 8:25 average through 15 miles, then began slowing down just a bit the next 5 miles, and had a few 9:30's around 22-25 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Hey, I PR'd, not sure I should do anything differently!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, warm veggie soup/bread in high school cafeteria, 20 minute massage in gym.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of more high mileage runs.

Event comments:

This is an awesome boutique destination race...stay a few days after like we did and tour the wine country. The people are quite friendly, scenery even in the rain is beautiful, size of race is just right (about 2300 runners). I highly recommend this one.

Last updated: 2009-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
03:51:15 | 26.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/151
Overall: 0/1843
Performance: Good
Course: Course was awesome, even in the light rain (rained the entire time). Some decent hills early on, not too long nor too steep, but I felt great. Lots of S turns so picking out your line through the next couple of turns gave you something to do. Flattened out the last 10k, also straightened out. Beautiful vineyards on either side of blacktop road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %<2%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes