BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mango's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-04-18 7:36 AM

User image

Boston, MA
Subject: Mango's Group - CLOSED
NAME: Mango (Justin).

STORY: I am a triathlete from New England (Boston, MA). I started triathlons when I graduated from my undergrad. I wanted something that was going to be a challenge and help me loose weight. To date, I have complete in many triathlons including one Ironman last summer (louisville). It now has turned into a passion and my lifestyle. I am currently in Grad school and I am an officer in the U.S. Air Force. 

FAMILY STATUS: Live in MA with my wife and dog

CURRENT TRAINING: My strongest discipline is running. I am running the Boston Marathon (April 20th 2009) for the third year in a row. After that my triathlon training will amp up for the upcoming season. 

THIS YEARS RACES: running: Boston Marathon, Ragnar 200 mile relay, Chicago Marathon
 triathlon: Multiple sprint and olympic distance races. 2 Half Ironman's (July and September)

WEIGHT LOSS: I initially used triathlons to loose weight but now it is my passion. I am a nurse by trade and have a fair knowledge about the body and nutrition. 

WHY MENTOR: Triathlons changed my life. So many people have helped me on my journey through the sport and I would love to give back to the community. I am a leader and love to motivate people to get outside and push themselves. I have pushed other people to start triathlons and running and it is such a pleasure to see them accomplish their goals. 

2009-04-21 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2093570

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Mango's Group
Hey Justin!  I'd like to join your group if I could.

Steve - (steveseer)

25 years old, single.

This is my third year of triathlon.  I also come from a running background of 10+ years.  Running is by far my strongest event.  Last year I completed my first HIM in 5:30.  I also completed my first marathon in 3:33.  Boston is an eventual goal of mine but not this year.  This year is all about my first ironman, IMFL in November.  I have an ironman training plan that starts June 21st.  I am just hoping to get some mentoring until this training plan starts.  I need to ramp up to 8-10 hours of training per week during the next two months.

I work on databases and have a typical 9-5 job.  No kids.  Training time usually isn't a problem!
2009-04-21 2:06 PM

Justin,

I am interested in joining your mentor group. I think you and I are fairly similar in how we got interested in Triathlons. I am 24 years old and am looking for a way to stay in shape.

I signed up for the Olympic Tri in New York on July 26th. This may have been a pretty ambitious start as I was a pretty weak swimmer and runner. I have always been very athletic, but never running long distances.

I have had a ton of questions throughout my training process over the past several months and havent really known where to go for answers. Let me know what the best way for me to bounce ideas/ questions off of you. I appreciate all your help. Thanks again.

Graham
2009-04-21 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
hey mango i'm already in a group here on BT but I just wanted to chime in and say that i LOVE your podcast.  Keep it up!
2009-04-21 2:44 PM

hey Mango-
I'd like to join your group if there's still room.  I am a 48 year old female.  I come predominantly from a running background, but several injuries over the years got me into heavy duty cycling.  I've done 2 marathons and trained for 2 more, plus countless shorter distance races, as well as many century rides, some unofficial time trials, and duathlon.  Swimming is all new to me and I really need help and support.  A close friend of mind was recently diagnosed with leukemia and I joined Team in Training as a way to show my support for him, raise funds, and get into tri... but my group is large and the coaches don't have a great deal of time to help individuals train.  So, I'm looking for advice, encouragement and support as I get ready for my first tri, Philly oly distance (a 1 mile swim!!)  in June.  Was going to do the sprint but somehow got talked into the oly...

I am enthusiastic and I love to train, and I'm sure with some group support, I'll feel a lot better about jumping into the water on June 28...
Thanks!!
2009-04-21 6:37 PM

New user

Big Flats
Justin,

I am interested in joining your group.  I am 36 years old and have made some life changes in the past couple of years.  I decided that I wanted to start living and eating better and to get in shape. I started running and got into the weights.  I dropped 20 lbs. and I felt great.  Last year I got back on the bike and started swimming also.  It only makes sense to put them together get into Triathlons.

In two weeks I am doing a 4 day, 300 mile bike ride.  Then three weeks later I am doing my first sprint.  My first Oly is in August.  I have a training plan from here that I recently started.  
I am looking for a little guidance and motivation since I am doing most training solo.

2009-04-22 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. TX
Subject: RE: Mango's Group - OPEN
Hey Mango...any more room in the group?

I'm a 24 year old male from Texas.  Brand new to the triathlon world, although my first sprint is this coming Sunday.  I'm formerly a high school and college swimmer, although after not being in the pool for 4 years, I've found that I don't quite have the speed anymore.  I just bought a bike around Christmas time, and kind of dove head first into training, mostly on the run and bike legs. 

I've been training 6-10 hours a week, but some of that has been in the weight room or otherwise.  Have run 3 or 4 5ks over the last couple of months (had never run a race in my life before that) and did a duathlon a couple months back.  I don't really have much of a set plan beyond trying to get something in nearly everyday.  I'd like to do a couple more sprints over the summer, and shoot for an oly in the fall. 
2009-04-22 2:18 PM

New user

Hi Mango,

I am intersted in joining your group if it is not too late. I am 24, and a medical student. I have already run 3 half-marathons and am supposed to run my fourth this weekend in Nashville. I have done a couple of triathlons, but am supposed to do my first Olympic distance triathlon this coming May.

I saw that you are also a runner, and that is why I am interested in joining your group. Ultimately, I would like to run my first marathon this year (the Memphis St. Jude Marathon). My other long-term goal is a half-ironman - maybe I can do one next year some time.

Michele
2009-04-22 4:34 PM

User image

Hey Mango, I'd like to join your group. Name's Juliana, 31, single, live in San Jose, CA. Have done 3 sprints and 1 oly last season and starting this season in less than 2 weeks with another sprint tri in Napa Valley. Looking to join a high energy group of fellow triathletes for support. Got into tris as a self challenge and got hooked after the first race. Love to race and to train. Love to swim and bike and have a hate/hate relationship with running

Juliana
2009-04-22 9:44 PM

Hello!
I am Interested in joining your group if possible.  27 years old, about to do my first triathalon...

NAME: Jordan

STORY:  Been a soccer player and swimmer...started cycling this year and an planning to do my first sprint tri in July.

FAMILY:  I am married and my wife is doing the triathalon with me.
2009-04-22 9:53 PM

Cary, NC

Justin (Mango),

I have completed one mini-sprint indoor triathalon and I am training for a June 7th triathalon.

I am a 36 yr-old male and I would like to join you mentor group if you still have room.

Please let me know.

Thank you,

Brian

2009-04-23 2:01 PM

Justin
      I was wondering if there is still room in your group. My name is Tim I am a 26 year old male in CT.  I am married and I am planing my first sprint tri in August.  I have a biking and running background.  I am also a professional firefighter and I am doing this to stay in shape.
2009-04-23 8:33 PM

New user

Hull, MA
Hi Justin,

I would like to join your group. We have some similarities but not in athletics.  I am a nurse, I grew up in Boston, now living in Hull, And I work for the VA working with vets.

I have never been an athlete.  My youth was spent taking the T to work after school.  I have worked out on/off for years over the past 20 or so.  I am 42 now.  About 6 years ago I had a trainer that I really clicked with.  I was with him for over a year then he moved away.  I felt great when I was working with him.  Then I went back to school, my second grad school experience, for an MSN, my first grad school experience got me an MB, and intellectual challenges overtook physical challenges in my time constraint schedule.

Anyway, I am a goal oriented person and like to challenge myself.  I feel I have challenged myself academically enough.  It is time to challenge myself physically, be healthy, be an example for my patients, and to feel great again.

My biggest problems not sticking to a regime is no motivation and no workout buddy or coach.  I have decided to try to do the Duxbury Beach Triathlon this September.  I am not sure if this is a realistic goal for me, as I am in horrible shape now, probably a good 25-30 pounds over weight.  However, a good friend of mine (Jim)  died this past February from Cancer at the age of 47.  To look at him you would never have known he had cancer eating him up inside.  He kept himself very healthy and strong.  I want to compete in the triathlon in his memory and donate funds raised to Dana Farber Cancer Institue.

Jim will be my motivation and I hope to meet others, on line or in person,with sporting interests with whom I can have some fun.

Oh yeah I am not so technologically suave

Diane
2009-04-24 12:12 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Hey what's going mango?  Is there room for another person in the group?!  I'm an extreme newbie and will have tons of questions.  I'm also in Portsmouth NH.  GO RED SOX!
2009-04-24 8:36 PM

New user

boston
hey mango-

hope there is still room to join. I have signed up for my first triathlon and am looking to increase my knowledge on the subject and training programs. I am from new england as well, and recently moved to boston.
2009-04-24 11:37 PM

New user

Hi Justin,

I'm hoping there is still some room in your group.  I am a newbie triathlete, 50 y/o female, gearing up for my first one in May and a few more in July.  I've always wanted to do triathlons and finally decided to start training last fall.  I live in Providence RI with my partner and 4 year old daughter and have a full time private practice in psychology.  With time restraints, I try to train about 4-5 days a week.  I read about training as much as I can, but can still use all the help I can get   Thanks!

2009-04-26 5:00 PM

User image

Hi Mango-
Wondering if there is still room to join your group?  I am a 27 year old female from Boston.
I am mainly a runner, but after a bad case of shin splints, I hit the pool and decided I would give triathlons a shot.

I've done 2 marathons (Boston and Chicago) and lots of 1/2 marathons.  I took a few swimming lessons and feel pretty comfortable in the water.  The bike is my weakest link right now, so I'm looking for advice and support as I get ready for my first sprint tri and hopefully 1/2 ironman at the end of the summer. 

Thanks,
Lauren
2009-04-26 5:38 PM

Phoenix
Hi Justin,
I’d like to join your group if it is still open.
I’m a 27 year old female. I live in the south ‘burbs of Chicago with my husband and cat.
I just did my first Sprint Triathlon last weekend—the Pioneer Sprint in Springfield, IL. Though it sounds like a silly reason, I wanted to do a tri to make myself go to the gym over the winter while finishing my doctoral thesis. I used the 3x Balance, 16 Week program. It went okay, though I really fell apart on the run.
I’d like to do the Chicago ½ marathon at the end of the summer, but I’d also like to do another sprint in August. I’m mostly doing the ½ marathon to make myself train for the run, which I honestly don’t love.
Thanks,
Kassie Lamp
2009-04-26 8:32 PM

New user

Hey Justin,

My name is Greg, I am a 23 year old male. I was wondering if you still had any space open in your mentor program.

I am also living in the Boston area, finishing up my physical therapy degree at BU. I have decided to start training for my first triathlon as a way to get back into shape and to relight my competitive nature. I used to be a three sport athlete in high school and since coming to college I have not been as active as I once was. My good friend also ran the Boston Marathon this year for the first time and seeing how much personal gratification she got from it, I decided it was time for me to do something that not only will put me back on track for a healthy lifestyle, but will tap back into my desire to compete, and give myself a sense of pride for accomplishing something like this.

I am currently 5'9" 213lbs. I really do not have a background in any one of the sports but am thinking if I give myself ample time to train (I'm thinking the 22 week couch to sprint program) I could finish my first race on Sunday Sept 27th at Nantasket Beach.

I am starting my training tomorrow, 50yard swim and a 20 minute walk/jog.

My personal goals are to lose 25-35lbs and just finish a race.

Thank you for your time and dedication to bettering other peoples lives.

Let me know if you still have space.

Best,
Greg
2009-04-27 1:56 PM

Hello Mango,My name is Shawn, and I would love to join the group. Unfortunately, I really late for my first Sprint Tri, which is this coming Saturday May 2nd the PolarBear. I my goal is to participate in a Olympic Tri in September.Here is some information about me, and why I’ve decided to take on this task. I’m 43 years old, married, with 2 very active kids 13 and 11. If I’m not working, I’m driving one of them to a sporting event. I just recently retired from a police department where I worked rotating shifts, which is the main reason why my workouts have been limited and very unpredictable. It was very tough over 20 years, working overtime, court, training, etc.Now, I’m a police administrator working a normal schedule for the first time in 20 years. I usually get up around 4:30 am, and run 40-50 minutes (4 to 5 miles) 4-5 times a week, bike when I get home 3-4 times a week. However, the swimming is the biggest challenge regarding my schedule, and its solely due to the availability of the pool and family issues.Second challenge, I’ve had two knee surgery’s 1980 and 1992. Nothing too big, but I can feel it on some day’s with longer runs. The primary reason why I’m doing this is for my bucket list, my family, weigh lost, and most importantly for ME!!!!!!! I got the bug from my brother in law, who has done many Sprint’s, Olympic, HIM and Full IM.I’m just starting in the sport, riding a mountain bike with road tires, and my wife has promised to give me permission to spend money on a bike next year, after completing a couple of Sprints. I’m looking for help in nutrition and a balance training plan that will meet my needs of just finishing this year. My motto throughout life has always been “What doesn’t kill you, will make you stronger”.Hope this is enough for consideration.Shawn“What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger”
2009-04-27 3:45 PM

Hey Mango..........Sorry for the request, I typed it in word, and then cut & paste. This will not happen again, as you can tell I'm new to EVERYTHING regarding TRI's Shawn

2009-04-27 3:50 PM

Hi Mango,
I would like to join your group. I have registered for the Chicago sprint triathlon on August 30th. I am a lifeguard, a  runner and love cycling. I am from Canada, 51 years old woman with 3 kids(23-24-25 years old). My daughter will do her first triathlon with me. I work as a exercice physiologist for a University in Montreal, and also studying for a Ph.D. I could use a mentor to help me on my journey. I have weight to loose and I would like to be at my best shape. It is time I take time for myself.

Hope I can join your group

Andree
2009-04-27 6:34 PM

User image

Veteran

Edited by ilucy2 2009-04-27 6:39 PM
2009-04-28 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
I would like to join your group Mango.
I am a 33yo male, in my 3rd season of triathlons. I also have a background in running. I qualified for Boston in December 2008 with a 3:09:45 marathon and plan to race Boston in 2010. I am signed up for a HIM May 9th and will race several local sprints this summer.
2009-04-28 10:27 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Anyone else wonder where Mango went?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mango's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7