General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Cure - American Diabetes Association Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tour de Cure - American Diabetes Association - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 15m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, went to the tour start, had a cup of coffee and rode around the parking lot a bit.
Bike
  • 4h 15m 23s
  • 72.86 miles
  • 17.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Upon getting to the race, I realized that I had read the course map backwards and that we would be doing the tour in reverse. No big deal, I was just counting on a nice easy warm-up up the coast before heading inland. The actual course took us through about 3,500 feet of climbing in the first 30 miles. Somewhat brutal, but not horrible. I definitely realized that I actually could make some of the famous local climbs that I had been putting off for fear of not being able to make them.

One thing that really helped was to keep reminding myself that this was a tour and not a race. Really helped keep me from over doing it.

Just before the half way point there was a fantastic straight downhill for what seemed like 2 miles. Tucked into the aerobars and just cruised at about 33 mph ... so fun!

Circle R was an experience ... LOL!

Made it nicely through the first 55 miles, then it started to hurt a bit. Flat coastal ride to the finish and strangely, I was moving really fast! Knees hhurt and my quads were on fire with the slightest climb, but I was moving.

Made it to the finish line, had some cold drinks and went straight home for a nap.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, nice ride!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched for about 10 minutes, put Icy-Hot on my quads.

Event comments:

Good event. I think I finished pretty fast because there really weren't a lot of people at the post race event. Seemed like the 10 miler was just getting underway when I got back. Kind of boring, BBQ did not sound good, so I went home.

As for the course, lots of volunteers at the break stations (although I never stopped at one), well marked, and it was nice to have a steady stream of motorcycle support.

Hope they raised a lot of money!

Last updated: 2009-02-26 12:00 AM
Biking
04:15:23 | 72.86 miles | 17.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Lots of climbing in the first 25 to 30 miles. Some nice downhills, flat with some short climbs and rollers in the second half.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-18 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: Tour de Cure - American Diabetes Association

2009-04-18 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2094630

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Tour de Cure - American Diabetes Association
Nice ride...sounds like fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Cure - American Diabetes Association Rss Feed