United States
Louisiana Triathlon
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 44m 56s
Overall Rank = 65/196
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site and picked up packet, chip, and got body marked. Set up transition, it was still raining. The wind was staying pretty calm at this point and we were all hoping it would stay that way. About 15 minutes before we went to the water, the wind really started whipping. It made the water really rough. It was definitely the worst conditions I've ever swam open water.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 22m 43s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a horrible, horrible swim. I mean, I didn't expect much since I hadn't been swimming, but the conditions made for a really tough swim. I never felt panicked or uncomfortable, I didn't push really hard, it was just a wavy, rough, cold swim. To compound the problem, it was the most physical swim I've ever had too. It took about 300m to get any sort of space to swim. It was a real washing machine out there. I don't know what I could've done differently to cope better, but I know I need to get back with Master's. That's a given after this piss-poor swim performance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Coming out of T1 you are literally right on a steep uphill to get to the street. I had my bike in a low gear, so I could ride up the hill. I clipped in, and pushed off but knew I didn't have enough speed to clip in the other foot. So I just unclipped and ran my bike up to the top and got going.
What would you do differently?:

Keep shoes on the bike and ride up the hill.
Bike
  • 55m 1s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me about 3 miles to get settled in. My heart rate wouldn't come down, so I just took it a little easy until my breathing was under control. I knew I'd be able to make up that time if I just really focused. My goal was 21mph, but with the conditions, I'm pretty pleased with my bike performance. I had just adjusted my position this week, and I really felt more comfortable and more powerful. The new derailleur and chain really felt smooth too!!

The only additional comment I will make is that the race organizers/volunteers at bike mount/officials really need to crack down on the iPods on the bike. I saw at least three numbnuts out there with iPods CLEARLY out in the open. I came up on one guy riding on the left, near the yellow line, I yelled out "ON YOUR LEFT" . . . nothing, no movement. I yelled it again much louder, still nothing. I was really close to him, and yelled again, NOTHING. So I go at close to the yellow line as possible without crossing, and passed VERY carefully, while nudging his butt with my hand to let him know I was there so he didn't swerve into me and cause me to go into the left lane and into the oncoming bikers. I was pissed off about that for a while, hoping he'd say something to me after the race about touching him.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

2nd fastest T2 in age group. I love the having yankz on my shoes and being adapted to running without socks. Sure makes for quick transitions. Lost a little time racking my bike, but overall really a good T2.
Run
  • 24m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, my goal was to run the 5k under 25:00. I did that. My secret goal was to average 7:45/mile. Didn't get that one done, but I'll take it anyway. The course was a one-way, point-to-point. The last mile was around a 1-mile track at a park. The wind was REALLY demoralizing when you were running into it. I would watch my HR elevate and my pace go down, it was pretty sad. But, I did what I set out to do on the run, I just need to get more mileage in to get better at running. Period.
Post race
Event comments:

Lots of folks with iPods out there on the bike.

Last updated: 2009-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:43 | 875 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 143/196
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: Out and back rectangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:55:01 | 18.64 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 48/196
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:47 | 03.11 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 75/196
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-19 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Mississippi
Subject: Louisiana Triathlon

2009-04-20 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2095699

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Louisiana Triathlon
Nice job under adverse conditions, with the wind, the waves, and the numbnuts!

Cool
2009-04-20 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2095699

User image

Expert
Mississippi
Subject: RE: Louisiana Triathlon
Thanks bear, I appreciate it.  Now to find that pool I have seem to misplaced . . . .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Louisiana Triathlon Rss Feed