General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Finish Strong
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 34s
Overall Rank = 113/217
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 9/19
Pre-race routine:

This was my first Triathlon so other than the 2 , 1/2 Marathons, a real new experience. I got up at 5:30 but slept sporatic. I felt rested though, but really more anxious. Had a bagel with peanut butter and some water. My appetite has not been good this week. Just didn't want to eat much.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site at 6:15 and took my time to set up. Wanted to soak up the experience of watching everyone else. Get acclimated to the TA, and double check my gear layout. I did a slow jog for about 1 mile before geting the wetsuit on. I went down to the lake to envision my swim and get a feel for the big a$$ hill we had to run up!
Swim
  • 16m 48s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had to jump in feet first. I hit bottom , popped up and started swimming! This was my first ever lake swim for a race type. I just did what i did in the pool, 4 strokes, ride side breath, every other 4 or 2 strokes, sight. I probably should have submitted a faster time. I actually passed about 7-9 people and didn't push hard at all. I did find at times I had to get a little more air due to the cold. I was worred about this part being my worst leg but actually it was better than expected. I had planned 18 minutes and did it in 16:48. I ran up the hill and walked half way, finished with a run into T1.
What would you do differently?:

Well, more swim practice. I am no where near where I want to be. I will work harded on sprints as well as distance. Technigue also. RUN TO T1!
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

BAD BAD BAD. I ripped off my chip with my wetsuit and could not find it. Suit came off easy. I just should not have walked up that darn hill. RUN! I cost myself about 2 minutes! Once i got to T1, I was quick with the rest except spending a few extra seconds looking for the chip. Oh well, good bye $50.00.

Practice T1, work on helment on, suit off. HTFU!
Bike
  • 35m 6s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out coasting behind the person in front of me, should have pushed past right from the start. Passed them on the first turn. Passed about 12-14 people and got passed by only 2 people. I held back mid way then pushed harder on Avent Ferry. Lost some time going into T2 since I again coasted behind the person in front of me, worried about drafing penalty! I talked to some folks throughout the ride. Met another MARINE AND WE TALKED IT UP. Semper Fi MARINES!

I need to pick up the cadence, goal will be 80-85 next race. Do HILL work! No Fear, push past folks. Biking is my strong leg and should I not be afraid! Overall folks were very nice on the ride and cars were considerate. Keep cadence all the way to dismount!
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I was 17th out of 19 in my category. WTF! I took a few more seconds and looked for that darn chip! AGAIN, HTFU.

Work on feet out of shoes before dismount, run harder. Rack and run! I was just to focused on finding that darn chip.
Run
  • 29m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I was in a daze starting out and still thought about that darn chip! I had to stop and walk 2 x for 30 seconds due to having slight back cramps. Need to do more hill work. I passed no one and got passed by 3 people.

This is a weakness due to still have 30 lbs to much weight and plantar fasciitis in both feet. I need to run much more to feel comfortable. I had only started back running on Jan. 5th this year. I could have pushed harded the last half and I held back for some reason? Hill work, speed sets, distance, technique....all of it!
Post race
Warm down:

Just did a few stretches but basically sat and watched other finishers with my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first Triathlon so I really didn't know what to expect other than what I had read from race reports on this site. They were helpful. I simply need more training in every category and only having put in < 4 months of getting back into shape I figure this was a decent performance.

Event comments:

Finish Strong did a great job and so did the ZTA sisters. FS has a good web site as well. The road conditions were a bit rough on Avent Ferry. Overall, a great job by everyone and I was pleased with how helpful everyone was!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:48 | 820 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 79/217
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy
Course: Triangle, 300 yards to first orange buoy, 100 yards over to orange buoy, back 350 yards. Mat start off the dock lined up by submitted swim time.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:06 | 10.5 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/19
Overall: 60/217
Performance: Average
HR averaged 170
Wind: Some
Course: Up hill on Lake Wheeler, rolling hills on Tryon, and moderate rolling hills on Avent Ferry. Hit 39 MPH down hill by Lake Johnson!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:11 | 03.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/19
Overall: 115/217
Performance: Below average
Average HR was 159.
Course: Flat with slight hills to start, larger hill around mile 1, the end was about 1 mile down hill except for .3 finish up hill. Sidewalks and bike trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-19 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon

2009-04-20 5:04 AM
in reply to: #2095727

User image

durham, nc
Subject: RE: Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon
Good Job! You totally kicked butt! I'm going on almost 3 years of running.. and maybe 8 months of triathlon training and you totally kicked my butt! Keep it up and you'll be blowing us all away in no time! Congrats yet again on finishing your first triathlon!
2010-01-04 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2095727

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon

You've accomplished a lot since this race! I'm just reading up on possible races. Just curious, did anyone else turn in your chip?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed