General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Half Marathon & 5K Run/Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oshkosh Half Marathon & 5K Run/Walk - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oshkosh , Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early to eat a bagel with peanut butter I had procured the day before. Drank some water and then back to bed for a little bit. We were staying literally RIGHT at the start, so I didn't have to build in any cushion to get there.
Event warmup:

Just an easy 5' jog to get the legs moving and realize I should have opted for the short-sleeved short instead of the long-sleeved one I had on. It was supposed to be 50 deg at 8 am, but it was definitely warmer. Just pushed up the sleeves and got ready.
Run
  • 2h 29m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

My last three long runs have been at almost exactly 11 min/mi pace, so that's what I was shooting for here. I took it out too fast for the first two miles: 10:34 and 10:22, but then managed to get it together. Kept an even pace for the first 7-8 miles. Maybe more, but two things happened: the wheels started to fall off the bus, and the mile markers on the course got really erratically placed. For example:

6-7: 11:22
7-8: 13:xx
8-9: 9:3x
9-10: 8:3x
10-11: 16:37!

So I had no real idea how my pacing was going, if I were staying on track despite feeling like crap. My face and hands started to get tingly, and I felt chilled. But I REALLY didn't want to walk. So I told myself to get to mile 10 and reevaluate. I felt a little better then, so I pressed on and told myself to get to mile 11. 16 minutes later, I was feeling worse for wear. At some point between mile 11 and 12, I had three choices: puke, pass out, or walk. So I walked a little bit. Got some more water at the next aid station, and started running again. Made it to about 12.5 and had the same choice to make. A little more walking. Then I recognized where we were, how close to the finish, and I put it together to finish running.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. My last 3 long runs went really well. 9, 10, and 10 miles, each strongly on 11 min/mi pace. I was confident going in. So ... ?
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around, swaying until I spotted Anna. Then sat down. Then got orange slices. Then sat down again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably a combination of things: warmer than I've been training in, running those first couple miles too fast, and undisclosed female stuff.

Event comments:

Everything was spot on about this race except the crazy number of turns and terrains and the wacky mile marker placement in the second half. That said, there were plenty of volunteers and cops and cones and water stops.

Last updated: 2009-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:29:50 | 13.1 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Crazy all over the place. Through residential neighborhoods, a park, an industrial parking lot, on a sidewalk by a busy street, past a university, by a cemetery, over a ditch, down a gravel path. You get the picture.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-19 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Subject: Oshkosh Half Marathon & 5K Run/Walk

2009-04-19 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2096002

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Oshkosh Half Marathon & 5K Run/Walk
Nice work!

Glad to see you racing
2009-04-20 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2096002

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Oshkosh Half Marathon & 5K Run/Walk
Great race!!  Good for you sticking it out for as long as you could!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Half Marathon & 5K Run/Walk Rss Feed