General Discussion Race Reports! » Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carmel, Indiana
United States
Carmel Swim Club
51F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 20m 16s
Overall Rank = 341/566
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 50/74
Pre-race routine:

I didn't have much of a routine this morning whatsoever. I couldn't sleep last night; I may have fallen asleep around 2am, with the alarm going off at 4:30. Ate a couple of pieces of Peanut Butter bread, which was probably a bit much on my stomach. Hydration drink couldn't sit very well either. I had about 20oz throughout the morning, stopping about a hour before the race.
Event warmup:

Got everything in the rack by 6am, resulting in a primo end spot in the first (assigned) rack. Hung out in the aquatic office, tried to nap a bit, and got a quick pool warm up. The weather outside was brisk and very wet, having rained all night, and continued to rain throughout the morning. Ick.

At about 8:30, I went out to the transition area to check on the bike/make sure nobody moved my stuff, and stepped on broken glass fragments, from an IBC Root Beer bottle - the bottle cap was about 3 feet away. Trip to the med tent to have 2 pieces of glass removed from my left heel - same one with the big bruise on it from the stone I stepped on last week - so it was already sore. Unfortunatly, as I found out starting the run, there was still a huge hunk in my heel, and I couldn't hold any weight on it.
Swim
  • 07m 4s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

It took me 100M to get into a groove and not have to swim over the top of everyone. I found a pair of feet and stuck with them for about 250, until he got too tired, and I passed him. I thought I'd never get through the swim, I couldn't breathe, got kicked, hit, etc. while passing. I couldn't fully get into a groove.
What would you do differently?:

Swim lots. I should have had this to 6 minutes. Lungs were on fire - I have a sinus infection and am on antibiotics/prednisone - I'm guessing the latter caused this.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

It took me forever to get into my shoes - my T1 is rarely over 1 minute. I'm out of practice. When getting my bike off the rack, the rack collapsed (with a beautiful new P2C on it). Volunteers came and grabbed the rack, but at the cost of 10-15 seconds.

Check the rack for sturdiness. Practice.
Bike
  • 32m 34s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

It rained the entire time. I felt pretty good on this, passing as many people as passed me. I had 1 point in time where I was looking at having to stop at the bottom of a hill to turn around a traffic rotary, and my speedo was showing 28mph, and the pavement was soaked - no traction.

I rode 25ish miles yesterday, I shouldn't have gone that far, I think it hurt me. I couldn't handle drinking, and couldn't handle getting any calories from gels, my stomach was upset - no sleep, hurt foot, worn out.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

No continuity. Left heel (glass) was REALLY starting to hurt. Got my shoes on and did what I could to get moving.

Practice.
Run
  • 38m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

My mom thought I wouldn't get through the run because I was limping - which I didn't know - and she didn't know about the glass in my foot. It took me a mile before I could get my mind wrapped around the run, getting through the foot pain. It took someone passing to tell me I can work through whatever - mind over matter. I needed to hear that - ran the rest of the way. This was the most painful and grueling 5k I have ever run.

Pain is the sign of injury or overuse. Some people think pain is just a normal running thing - it's not. Pain really is an indicator that something is wrong.
Post race
Warm down:

Eating a banana, water and getting my foot examined at the med tent again - yep, there is at least 1 more piece of glass in my left heel - going to get it removed tomorrow at the ER. Lots of pain bearing weight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Glass in my heel. Lack of transition practice. Fatigue. Poor decision making. The weather.

Event comments:

Carmel Swim Club put together a first rate triathlon. Vision Event Management was great to work with, and the amount of volunteers that Carmel Swim Club and Vision had was incredible. There was a sea of the yellow volunteer shirts everywhere. Pre-race expo on Saturday was quality. Pre-race morning was an afterthought - or just everyone's Sunday morning attitude was affected by the crappy weather. The bodymarking line was 75+ deep.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:04 | 400 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/74
Overall: 68/566
Performance: Below average
RPE 3
Suit: New Circle City Multisport
Course: 400M LCM snake pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:34 | 10 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 47/74
Overall: 258/566
Performance: Average
RPE 3
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back loop with a spur. Couple of spots where there was a wet metal plate covering construction to have to ride over, and lots of painted surfaces that were wet.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:39 | 03.1 miles | 12m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 71/74
Overall: 522/566
Performance: Bad
RPE 4
Course: Fairly flat 5k course through a couple of neighborhoods. Water at 1.5 & 2 miles (same water station on a out and back loop).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-19 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash)

2009-04-19 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2096105

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash)

Nice race!  I can't imagine running a 5k with a chunk of glass in my heel, way to get through it.

Good luck with the rest of your racing season.

2009-04-20 5:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You had a great race, even with glass in your foot! I think you get the toughness award! I had the same issues with the swim and you are so right, if there is pain, then something is not right. Have a great summer training and I hope your foot heals up ok!
2009-04-20 7:39 AM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis
Way to persevere! Good race.
2009-04-21 9:45 AM

User image

Master
20 minutes from the start I was in the med tent having them try to get the glass out. They pulled out 2 big pieces of IBC Root Beer bottle slivers about 1/2 inch long. We thought they got it all out. I found on the run that there is more there. After the race, the meds tried to get it out. They could see it, but running on it drove it deeper into my dermis layer. I'm going to have to spend time on the xray table, as that is the only/best way to remove glass. Left foot, ankle, calf is pins and needles, lots of pain. Ick. When they cut it open, I'll be out if the water for a few days, and off the bike/run for at least a week.
2009-04-23 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to suck it up. Nicely done!

2009-04-23 10:37 PM

User image

Master
My ankle is about the size of a softball today, Doc said I apparently favored my foot on the run and injured it from overuse. Not suprizing. It hurts, and I can't drive on it - I have a stick, and can't push a clutch on my puny little VW, so I had a buddy driving me around in his Jeep today.

His Jeep has a 4 inch lift, and then 31" oversized tires, so I stepped on his nurf bar with my right foot getting out, and stepped down with my left (injured) foot, which decided it couldn't bear my weight. I fell breaking my coccys. Laid in the street for a good 5 minutes before I could even think of moving, and my fear was having to call an ambulance in his little town. I did not want to go to the hospital in Anderson. Not a good week for me injury wise. At least I have the big vicodens....
2009-04-24 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2107101

User image

Davenport, IA

tjtryon - 2009-04-23 10:37 PM My ankle is about the size of a softball today, Doc said I apparently favored my foot on the run and injured it from overuse. Not suprizing. It hurts, and I can't drive on it - I have a stick, and can't push a clutch on my puny little VW, so I had a buddy driving me around in his Jeep today. His Jeep has a 4 inch lift, and then 31" oversized tires, so I stepped on his nurf bar with my right foot getting out, and stepped down with my left (injured) foot, which decided it couldn't bear my weight. I fell breaking my coccys. Laid in the street for a good 5 minutes before I could even think of moving, and my fear was having to call an ambulance in his little town. I did not want to go to the hospital in Anderson. Not a good week for me injury wise. At least I have the big vicodens....

Man, that is a rough week.  Enjoy the vicodens, I guess...and recover well.

2009-04-24 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2107101

User image

Extreme Veteran
tjtryon - 2009-04-23 10:37 PM

My ankle is about the size of a softball today, Doc said I apparently favored my foot on the run and injured it from overuse. Not suprizing. It hurts, and I can't drive on it - I have a stick, and can't push a clutch on my puny little VW, so I had a buddy driving me around in his Jeep today.

His Jeep has a 4 inch lift, and then 31" oversized tires, so I stepped on his nurf bar with my right foot getting out, and stepped down with my left (injured) foot, which decided it couldn't bear my weight. I fell breaking my coccys. Laid in the street for a good 5 minutes before I could even think of moving, and my fear was having to call an ambulance in his little town. I did not want to go to the hospital in Anderson. Not a good week for me injury wise. At least I have the big vicodens....

Dude....
2009-04-25 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2107498

User image

Master
Parr8hed - 2009-04-24 9:34 AM

Dude....

Yep, I'm a clutz, at least I am feeling better today.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash) Rss Feed