General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RE: Lateral retinacular release surgery for knee pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-19 9:19 PM

Subject: RE: Lateral retinacular release surgery for knee pain
Hi, I suffered through knee pain for awhile.  I bought a brand new Cervelo, last year after riding a steel schwinn for 5 years.  Having limited felxibility, I worried getting a professional fitting.  I told them that I can't bend my knees beyond 90 degrees.  They assured me that this was the "right" way to get fitted.  After a 40 mile ride, I was completely done.  I could barely walk afterward.  I went to a sports medicine doc and his x-rays showed that my kneecaps were completely mis-aligned.  After 6 months of PT with little progress, I just had a lateral retinacular release surgery 2 days ago.

I'm hoping (desparately) this surgery get's me back into action soon. Without it, I was completely worthless, couldn't bike at all and could only run if I was willing to tolerate large amounts of pain.  Wondering if anyone else has/had similar symptoms ?  If anyone else has had a similar surgery ?  If so, how did it help ?  What was the recover time ?  I can't wait for PT to start again.  Thanks.

2009-04-20 12:54 AM
in reply to: #2096134

New user

I had the surgery 12-13 years ago, but my knee condition had not progressed to the severity that yours obviously had.  You can start doing some basic strengthening exercises immediately but do it under the supervision of a physiotherapist.  You should be able to start walking on it slowly and carefully, it will feel loose and funky until your other muscles build up the strength to compensate for the cut tendon/muscle area.  You will forever have an unstable patella, even worse than before.  It might track in the joint better but it will be unstable.  I regret having the surgery done at all as I fall into that very high percentage that the surgery makes it worse rather than better.  Combat it with slow gradual fitness and strength building.  I can't give you an idea of recovery time as I just can't remember, but I do remember that I was back at the gym within a couple of months.
2009-04-20 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2096327

Jay, thanks for the input, I appreciate it.  It feels pretty good now and luckily I had the muscles all worked out before surgery, so I am looking forward to getting back in again with the PT ASAP.  Thanks again.
2009-06-12 3:53 AM
in reply to: #2096134

Lateral release.
yes - I've had that done.
However, I also had at the same time a tibial tuberosity transfer, my patellofemoral groove filed down to make a more distinct groove and remove the crud, and I also had chunks of my kneecap that I'd shattered removed.
Because of the screws through my leg I cant do impact sports like running. So I'm going to have to get the operation to remove them at some point.
So basically its very difficult for me to say how long you will be out for since I've had so much more done than you.
The good news for me is that I can now walk again without being in constant agony. I can now bend my knees and even sit in cramped aeroplane seats. And I can cycle. With cycling though I have to gradually build up my muscle strength through physio exercises and gradually increasing the resistance on the bike.
The operation has transformed my life completely and for the better.

There was a site called kneeguru which proved very useful to me - check it out.

Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » RE: Lateral retinacular release surgery for knee pain Rss Feed