Set-up, Inc
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 45s
Overall Rank = 28/283
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/48
Pre-race routine:

Day started with a shower to wake up and a bowl of cereal about 4:15am. Finished packing and getting everything together while waiting for Dan to arrive. We hit the road about 5:00 and headed toward Bumpass, VA. Stopped by DD for the ritualistic coffee and we were off....great conversation on the way down and I began feeling a bit better as the morning wore on. About an hour into the trip I had my 2 Ensures and followed that with a banana about 30-45 minutes later. We arrived at the race site about 7:15 and decided to simply get the bikes put together and head up to transition rather than drive the courses. Enjoyed the process of actually getting a bike race ready rather than simply pulling the old Trek off the rack. We headed up to check in and grabbed the typical cap and race #'s and went to transition. Had a great spot for Transition and began the unloading and preparing phase of the morning. I felt like I had everything pretty well prepared and didn't feel that nervous time crunch that I have in the past.
Event warmup:

Decided to simply relax a bit and stretch rather than enagage in any running or biking warm-up. Looking back I think I should have at least jumped in and swam for a bit if for nothing else to simply lossen up the arms a bit.
Swim
  • 23m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Once again decided to start up front with the hope I could get out quickly and maintain a solid pace near the front. The first couple hundred yards were not bad - really concentrated on a strong stroke not just a quick turnover. I eventually ran into some shallow water and had to actually stand up and walk a bit b/c I could not swim in the shallow water. It lasted for only a bit but when I was up I noticed there were only a few people in front which was great despite being a bit too left. When I rounded the first buoy I was still feeling pretty good but from then to the next turn and then to the finish I struggled a bit with staying on course. It wasn't terrible but I do need to improve. There were occassions when I could latch on to someone and draft a bit but I'd lose them and end up off course a little. On a couple of occassions I felt like I was able to draft pass and draft again. Now whether I was actually moving up or not I don't know because it could have been the same people and I just ran into them again after getting back where I needed to be direction wise.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could have been a bit stronger out there and not hold back as much. There were times I felt extremely strong and efficient and others I dialed it back - a bit nervous I may fatigue too early.
Secondly, my sighting and lines need to improve!

Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Well it wasn't terrible but transitions have historically been a problem for me because I don't stay focused with the get in - get out mentality. Need to trust the process I've setup prior to the race and get on with it.
I will say I felt like I ran well out of the water into transition!

Like I said.....
Bike
  • 1h 04m 47s
  • 24 miles
  • 22.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Couldn't wait to ride the Scott in its first race ever and about 200 yards into it I pop the chain and have to pull over. No the way you want to start but I recovered fairly quickly and hopped back on to begin the catch up game. Needless to say I played catch up the entire time to the better cyclists but was able to track down a few while avoiding being passed with the exception of Kendro who absolutely crushed the bike. He got me at the start of lap 2 and I wasn't able to keep him in sight by the end.
Overall, I have to say I am happy with a 22+ average but I am disappointed with my inability to handle the subtle climbs/inclines without dropping down quite a bit - gear wise. I realize I can't expect it to happen if I am not logging workouts consistently eneough but it's still a numbers game and a feel game and I didn't like the feel or the numbers.
*37 b/c Kendro's time didn't register.

I will be more committed to my bike workouts and the variations they call for - there's a reason they have different workouts, right?

Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Into transition 2 was great - in there and coming out was poor! Just take too long to do the obvious. There should be no thinking - just routine!!!

Run
  • 46m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again - YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT IN!!!!
Not a great run - the time is probably where it should be based on the number of run workouts I've logged in the last 4 weeks(3). That's right, I went back and looked at my logs and I've logged 3 workouts since Dan and I did the Brick in Columbia on March 22nd. So my frustration is with my workout commitment - not necessarily the race time - although it's hard to see how slow it is compared to guys I hope to compete with or eventually compete with!
I just never felt strong during the run which is frustrating b/c I've had Brick Workouts where I am able to put together some solid run efforts. I just felt heavy and slow!

Run in Training ... Run in Training ... Run in Training!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much here aside from some brief stretching and walking around with the family. We did soak the feet a bit and cool down in the lake a bit later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of commitment - Bottom Line!!!!

Event comments:

Not a bad race by any means but you could definitely tell it was the inaugural race. Not the best set-up, suspect post-race ammenities and questionable transition security.
I was glad to get in an early one and it was a pretty good experience.

Last updated: 2009-02-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/48
Overall: 22/283
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Trisuit
Course: Clockwise, right triangle shaped swim course. Straight out with a hard right followed by another sharp right back toward transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:04:47 | 24 miles | 22.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/48
Overall: 37/283
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: A two loop course that wasn't extremely difficult. Had a few nice areas to ride and some rougher surfaces as well.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:46:45 | 06.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/48
Overall: 62/283
Performance: Bad
Course: Basically an out and back but they add a turn around within the out and back to get the required distance. There was a brief trail run piece at the beginning and the end of the run. A somewhat rolling run - nothing too difficult!
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-20 10:50 AM

User image

Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass International

2009-04-20 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2097102

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International

Great race!  Overall a good venue.  They're usually tighter on transition security than that one.

Set up usually puts on such a good party.  The post race choice left me cold too. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass International Rss Feed