Set-up, Inc
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 58s
Overall Rank = 174/274
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 28/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0530, got my stuff together, while the wife got the boys dressed and in the car. Swung by parents house and picked up my dad. Drove hour and a half down 95 and then through the winding roads, avoiding the trash can at the turn around and pulled in. Wife stayed in car whle boys watched the movie Bolt. I left to set up my transition and get marked, chipped and warmed up.
Event warmup:

Hoped in the water for about 2 minutes, just to make sure it wasn't too bad after going for a short little job and stretching.
Swim
  • 17m 44s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good with the fact that I didn't get way off course as usual. Part of my slow time is that I am slow, the other part is sighting every 4 strokes. Also, starting in the back and finishing in the big cluster didn't help.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, work on speed and endurance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

When I was in the water, I didn't feel like my breathing was hard now was my heartrate high. Maybe it was adreneline, maybe it was temperature of the water, but as I got to my bike, I was feeling more and more tired.

Just more endurance in the swim. Train, train, train.
Bike
  • 40m 40s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, I sucked. Up the slow rolling hills, I was shifting and rolling at only 14-15mph. Flat spots I was ok in the 19-20mph and downhill only pushing to 23-25. Only 2 outside training rides and not trying any hills showed big. Back started to hurt towards the end of my ride and my legs were beat. Only drank half my bottle and took one gel.

Train, train, train, train. I need to ride at least twice a week on the road and not just WO&D, because there are no hills there.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

The bike next to mine was a nice Cervelo but laying on her side. I felt bad, but with the bag on it too, I didn't have the room to get it up. I just kinda racked my bike and it was sort of sitting on the layed down bike. Don't know what the right thing to do would have been.

Nothing, probably spent 15 secs figuring what to do with the layed down bike and getting mine over it.
Run
  • 28m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I just need to get my pace down. That will come with training. With legs tight from bike, I struggled for 1st 2 miles. Then I picked up my pace a little. Going through the woods on the way back, I jumped the ditch and my left hamstring got really tight, but since I was only about 600 meters from the finish, I just sucked it up and pressed on. HTFU I said. It felt better, then closer I got. It hasn't gotten worse, but I can still feel it.

Just need to get more speed time in and more distance runs. more bricks too.
Post race
Warm down:

None, walked to wife, dad and boys. Saw coworker as well and chatted for a bike while drinking water and stretching. The had a bite of pizza and some chex mix. Drove the 1.5 hours home with a little stop for some mini burgers at Ruby Tuesdays.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

The only issue I had was the run through the woods, but maybe it was just me.

Last updated: 2009-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:44 | 820 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/35
Overall: 165/274
Performance: Average
Suit: Full DeSoto Black Pearl
Course: Course was fairly simple. Started in BOP to avoid the smashing of my head and face. Kept towards the back of what seemed like a fast start. I sighted every 4-6 strokes, except when I was near a bouy and could see it during my breathing. 2 right turns, then head to the left of wiggly yellow blow up guy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:40 | 12 miles | 17.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/35
Overall: 185/274
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Course was fairly flat with slight rolling hills. Start and finish was kinda rough. Saw a guy on the ground off his bike as I was heading towards T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:17 | 03.11 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/35
Overall: 179/274
Performance: Average
Course: Very rough start up sligh hill then just over ditch, run over big roots, then just over another ditch. Rest of the road was same as bike, rolling hills, but nothing too crazy.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-21 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint

2009-04-21 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2099446

Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint

No one liked the ditches - it wasn't just you. I didn't appreciate having to leap over the ditches, or shimmy down them quickly trying not to twist my ankle. I think many folks complained about the new run course. Congrats on finishing, though!

2009-04-21 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Yeah, I have to agree and will probably edit my report. I usually tell the race directors how I liked a race and while I don't mind trail running (I started running that way), the big roots could've caused some bad injuries from folks tripping over them. I didn't mind the rest of the course as it was "flatter" than what I train on. You should probably do some extra stretching with that hamstring during the week. I've had a pulled hamstring and it takes weeks to recover. Not fun. I also find a warm bath helps loosen things up and then stretch afterwards a bit. Schedule some brick work in your training for the bike to run transition if you already don't. Congratulations on finishing! Lots more of the season to enjoy!

Edited by sbrdave 2009-04-21 9:20 PM
2009-04-21 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Nevada City with my BABY!

ahhhh poor Ceravelo...

Good Job on the race!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint Rss Feed