Boston, Massachusetts
United States
Boston Athletic Association
Total Time = 4h 04m 1s
Overall Rank = 16465/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Was lucky enough that my charity bus left basically across the street from where I live so I got to sleep in till about 5am. Woohoo! Took the bus out to Hopkinton with my team, wandered around a little. Ate and then did some yoga with a team mate. My heart rate was way up all morning and the yoga really helped bring it down. I felt really relaxed after that, actually, and ready to go.
Event warmup:

Stretched, ate a few luna moons, kept drinking water. It was pretty crazy getting into the corrals. There were just SO many people. And I was in the last one since I was a charity runner.
Run
  • 4h 04m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I am pretty happy because I ran this race just about exactly as I wanted to. I started out really slow so I wouldn't burn myself out on the downhill miles to start. I was about 20 sec/mile slower than my goal time. After about 4 miles, I was on pace and just tried to keep it nice and comfortable. I definitely got passed a lot at the beginning but it was gratifying then passing a bunch of people on the Newton Hills knowing I had ran smart. At about mile 16, I started to pick it up and was able to run the last ten miles a bit faster and I finished EXHAUSTED but feeling strong. I am really happy with the run and I think my next goal will be to break 4hrs.
What would you do differently?:

I keep trying to figure out how much to eat when I'm running and I think I still need to eat a little more. I would have brought one more GU with and I think I also need to diversify my intake.
Post race
Warm down:

I was so tired and felt pretty woozy after. I was a bit disoriented and my fingers were totally numb. Good thing my sister and her husband were there because they helped me get myself together a bit and got me home! I showered, then went out with my some folks from my charity to team to celebrate. I can't believe I actually made it out until midnight! Ha.

Event comments:

Great race and a great run. I am so happy to have finished my first marathon!

Last updated: 2009-01-26 12:00 AM
Running
04:04:01 | 26.2 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Hopkinton to Boston, baby!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-21 1:31 PM

User image

Subject: Boston Marathon

2009-04-22 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2100325

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon
Congrats!  That's an awesome time for your first marathon!
2009-04-22 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
You did it!  Congrats, Svea!  Not only is that a great time, but it's pretty impressive that you had a plan and managed to stick with it throughout the whole race.  Sounds like you really put in the effort to prepare for exactly how you wanted it to feel pace-wise and effort-wise.  Awesome!
2009-04-22 3:38 PM

Uxbridge
Congrats on a great race Svea!!!!
2009-04-22 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Very nice job.  As stated above, very impressive that you sticked to what you wanted to do.  The results speak for themselves.  Glad to have an experienced Boston Marathoner in the group for when or if any of us decide to try.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boston Marathon Rss Feed