General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Collegiate National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Collegiate National Championship - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lubbock, Texas
United States
USAT
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 21s
Overall Rank = 28/50
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Lubbock Friday for Check in. 2 hour drive. Woke up at 4:45, left at 5:15 to drive to Ransom Canyon. 20 minute drive from Hotel. Ate usual peanut butter granola bar and water on the way.
Event warmup:

Set up transition and waited around for a while Wife and I were there plenty early. Lots of nice bikes to check out. Put on wetsuit about 20 minutes before 7am start to stay warm. Stretch and jogged a little bit slowly in wetsuit. Got in the water with 10 minutes to go and swam a little bit. It felt warmer in the 54 degree water than out. Start came 5-10 minutes after 7am waiting on the sun to rise. We were ancy and ready to go by the start.
Swim
  • 09m 48s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first OWS and my first to ever swim in my wetsuit. The wetsuit was great. It really kept me warm and kept me floating. I was on the front row on the beach and sprinted in and felt like I was probably in the top 20% after the first 150 yards as we approached the first bouy. At the point we starting getting bunched up big time and I swam over a couple of guys and guy elbowed a few times and really could not go anywhere. From this point on it was a combination of freestyle and breaststroke to the end. I was surprised I had sub 2 minute splits to be honest.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I race this course (next month), I am going to start to the far outside where I have clean water and not near the pack. I will end up swimming a little farther, but I feel like I am a good enough swimmer that it will benefit me to get to the straight away without dealing with the log jam of people. I did enjoy this swim course.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

I was very suprised that my swimsuit came off so easily. I took a little longer in my T1 because I wanted to be a little more comfortable during my bike. I dried my upper body and put on a warm long sleeve under armor shirt. I also put on socks, through I should of taken a few more seconds and dried my feet. It was still about 46 degrees outside and we just got out of 54 degree water so everything was frozen. Cannot really complain about the slow T because most everyone has the same. Also there was a long run with the bike before getting out of T1. I did put on the shoes and run in them and this was definitly the way to go because I passed 3-4 guys running with the bike who were barefoot. They could only move so fast with frozen bare feet. They also had trouble getting into the shoes once on the bike.

Dry my feet.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 22s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 16.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I though it was a fast course and I felt good on the bike as I felt like I passed more people that got passed by. I was disappointed to see my time as I still cannot get close to a 20 mph average. I felt like I was pushing 20+ the entire time, but the hills must have really killed my average. This was the first race with my new Tri Bike and it was definitly more comfortable and felt faster.

I need to get a trainer so I can ride more at night and gain strenght and speed. I have a lot of room for improvement on this leg. I look forward to getting closer to a 20 mph average.
Transition 2
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Just need to get faster here. I took about 10 extra seconds taking a few more swigs of my gatorade. It really helped me to watch the collegiate Olympic distance guys with their transitions. I should be able to know 1.5 minutes off this time.

Get my fluid on the bike. Run faster out of transition.
Run
  • 28m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I suck at running. Once again I never stopped and finished with a sprint. I need to run faster. The only excuse I have here which really is lame is that I could have stuck a knife through my feet and would never have felt a dang pinch. They were frozen from the swim and stayed frozen. My goal by the end of this season is to push a sub 25 minutes 5K, but right now I am no where close and not improving. I felt good, never got cramped, I just could not run faster. I need to at least be running 8.5 minute pace.

Run faster. Not get past by everyone on the course. I did pass three aggies though which was cool. Go Tech!!
Post race
Warm down:

Banana, Water, Gatorade, Stretched and then watched the Olympic guys come in from the bike and then finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slow bike evidently. Slow a** runner. I need to keep run training and do some speed work. I am seeing results with my swim. I could get faster, but was really only about 45 seconds from where I wanted to be. I need to keep training on the bike. I should be able to improve 12-15 minutes just from the bike and run. My time goal was 1:40, but I wasn't expecting to swim in the artic either.

Event comments:

This was an awesome race. The course is challenging. Cold OWS and some awesome hills on the bike. I will be back next year. It was very cool to see all the college kids from all over the country come to Lubbock and felt good for the soon to be 30 yo to beat a few of them.

Last updated: 2009-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:48 | 547 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 23/50
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Body
Course: Beach start about 40 yards wide. The guys were three rows deep. Out about 175 yards, left turn and straight for 275 yards and another left turn for another 50 yards. It was kind of a horseshoe around an "island".
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 54F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:03:22 | 17.6 miles | 16.66 mile/hr
Overall: 29/50
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Two monster hills right at the start for the flatlander. I could easily have gotten off and walked, they were brutal for me. I was amazed as guys flew up them pass me. I need to find some hills around Midland so I can work on them. Once pass the two hills it flatten out for the most part as you leave the Canyon out and back on a highway.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:22 | 03.1 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Overall: 34/50
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back along lake. Paved road. Few small hills. Nice course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-21 9:45 PM

New user

Subject: USAT Collegiate National Championship
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Collegiate National Championship Rss Feed