United States
Playtri
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45, 10 minutes before my husband so I could get a HOT shower! Ate oatmeal with a little peanut butter. Had to sit in the car and wait on the husband who was still mad about his COLD shower! Ha!
Event warmup:

My husband and I got back from vacation at 7:00 the night before, we had to do packet pick-up the morning of...BAD IDEA! This was my first race, but my husband had done many, so I didn't think it was a big deal. WRONG! We were running around like crazy people trying to find everything.

Once we got our packets, I settled in at transition and tried to just relax for a little bit. My husband, on the other hand, who has done several races, forgot his body glide, thought he had the wrong swim cap, etc, etc,etc. I finally had to go hide, he was STRESSING me out!
Swim
  • 09m 3s
  • 300 yards
  • 03m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Doing your first race in open water is a little scary, but I knew with a wet suit on I coudn't sink! I did one OWS in Mexico the week before, so that was helpful. Sighting on the other hand was tough. I thought I'd be able to get in a groove and just look up from time to time, but not the case. I think I did the first 100 yards with the breast stroke and then finally settled in to a half freestyle, half doggy paddle ( just to sight of course!). Swimming with nothing but first timers is difficult, we were all struggling.
What would you do differently?:

Practice OWS more. Start up closer to the front.
Transition 1
  • 05m 28s
Comments:

I was a real slow poke here. I just wanted to make sure I was comfortable, I'll be a lot faster here next time.
Was really glad I put on my Brooks long sleeve top.

Throw on my stuff and go. I was really careful about putting everything back in an organized manner and stuffing my wetsuit in a bag, etc.
Bike
  • 26m 21s
  • 6 miles
  • 13.66 mile/hr

Learn how to drink on the bike or get handlebars that I can put a bottle between.
Transition 2
  • 29m 53s
Comments:

This was much quicker. I think I realized I was almost done and just wanted to get going. I felt great in transition.

nothing
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 2 miles
  • 14m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt so good coming off the bike. I ran out of transition and right up the hill to the course. At the top of the hill my calves started screaming. They weren't cramping, but they were so tight. I think this is due to my lack of bike training, lack of bike/run bricks and not drinking anything on the bike.

Ride my bike more. Sounds funny, but I think that is the bigger problem, not run fitness. ( Not that my run fitness is that terrific, but better than the bike)
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water, ate a banana and put a shirt back on. My husband was in one of the last waves to go, so I had to wait a bit for him to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time on the bike. Need more OWS training.

Event comments:

First race was AWESOME! I can't wait to do my next one. I do ART at triathlons, so finding one to do that isn't on the same day as one I work is hard. Guess I'll just have to get faster so I can race and work the same races!

Got some ART and cold laser on the calf the next day and am ready to go run!

Last updated: 2009-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:03 | 300 yards | 03m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca full wet suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:26:21 | 06 miles | 13.66 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: The course map that I looked up had the only real hill at about 1 mile, so after I'd passed the first mile I thought I was home free. The map lied! I think the real hill was at about mile 3, but it wasn't really too bad. It was the highest my heart rate got all day.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 29:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:53 | 02 miles | 14m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: A little hilly with some muddy tunnels.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes