Pensacola, Florida
United States
Flora Bama
Total Time = 2h 08m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not much. I ate 2 pieces or toast, put the bike on the car and was off.
Swim
  • 07m 52s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

There was great debate at the swim start if we should even swim or not. There were navy swimmers out there for support. The final decision was to move the buoys closer to shore and make us swim further down the beach, I think. The only problem with that was it kept us right in the middle of where the waves were breaking. I was in the 4th wave, so we ran in, ran almost all the way to the 1st buoy and then started moving toward the next buoy however I could. A little push off the bottom, a little push of the person next to you, swim under the wave, swim over the wave, breastroke, freestyle, just keep moving forward however I could. Touched the last buoy and body surfed the waves back to the beach. It actually was a pretty fun swim. We had a pretty good run on the beach back to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Not much considering the waves.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Had to get the wetsuit off and clean off my feet from all the sand, rocks, and dirt.

Not much. First Triathlon with a wetsuit.
Bike
  • 28m
  • 10 miles
  • 21.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew we would a have serious tailwind going out and a serious headwind coming back. I tried not to push the pace too hard going out. It was very easy to go 24-25 mph on the way out. I made it to the turn around and BAM. The headwind was awful. I just kept pedaling through it with my head down. Well if you put your head down to much you can�t see the potholes in the road to avoid. So I hit a pothole dead on and all I heard from my back wheel was the air coming out. My first flat tire in a race! I had supplies, so I pulled over and took the wheel off, changed the tube, put the tire back on, and got my co2 pump ready. I couldn't get the tire aired up. I have changed tubes and tires before at home, but never at a race or out on the road. Come find out I�m not very good at using that co2 pump or I have the wrong kind of pump. I will be practicing this a lot in the near future. I put my back tire back on and started walking. I was 7 miles from T2. Just as I started walking another girl hit the same pothole and her front tire went flat. So here we are walking 7 miles back to T2 with a flat front and rear tire. We started talking and this was the girl�s first triathlon, and then it dawned on me she could use my front wheel and finish the race. I switched the wheels and told her to go. She was very thankful and couldn�t believe I was doing that. She then took off I put her wheel on my bike and kept pushing now with 2 flat tires. A volunteer in a truck came by pretty quickly and picked up. So I rode back to T2 in the truck.

Not get a flat. Practice using my co2 pump. I felt good about helping my new buddy finish her first triathlon. Maybe the good karma will come back to help someday.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I was trying to figure out the whole time in the truck if I should run or not. I figured what the heck. I put my shoes and socks on and I was off.

Not get a flat.
Run
  • 41m 47s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I started running I told myself not to walk. I was in good enough shape not to have to walk. I started running and within a half mile I caught up to a guy and we ran about the same pace going forward. We just stuck together for 2 miles or so. Once we turned into the headwind, I tried to stay behind him and let me block the wind. That worked pretty well for a while. We stopped to get some water and mile 3 and he took off after that. I just told myself to keep running. I only walked long enough to get water and drink it at the aid stations. This was a pretty good run for me. I made it back to the finish line and felt good that I ran instead of just giving up on the race. I figured I already paid the money might as well enjoy the run.

Not much. I had a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Meet up with my wife and daughter. Then meet up the girl I gave my wheel too. She and her family were so thankful and couldn't believe I would do that. I was just glad she was able to complete her first triathlon. We swapped wheel again and loaded up all of my stuff. We sat around for a little while, but my daughter started getting tired and it was time to head back to the condo for a nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat Tire.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the race. I think I will have to come back and actually finsih the whole race.

Last updated: 2009-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:52 | 440 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
That seems pretty fast, but I don't know if we really swam 1/4 miles.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:28:00 | 10 miles | 21.43 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:47 | 04 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and Back. Tailwind going out, and headwind coming back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-22 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Brandon, MS
Subject: Mullet Man Triathlon

2009-04-22 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2103044

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Mullet Man Triathlon

Man, that sucks about the flat, but what an awesome thing to do.  See ya at SUTS.

2009-04-24 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2103044

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Mullet Man Triathlon
I wish I would have saw you before the race, I would have told you to ride in the road on the way back. That said, you just earned so much race Karma with your act of kindness to the first timer. That kind of thoughtfulness is one of the most special things about this sport. I was glad they let us do the swim.

Congrats and hope to meet you next year.

Ken

Edited by Manatee Express 2009-04-24 8:20 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mullet Man Triathlon Rss Feed