General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Tulsa Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-22 2:52 PM

Subject: Moving to Tulsa
Hey everyone, I'll be moving to Tulsa in August as part of Teach for America's new expansion site. I'm really excited even though I've never been anywhere near Oklahoma! It looks really amazing there but I was wondering if anyone in that area has suggestions about what a Florida boy should expect with regards to climate, city layout. Any information would be beneficial about where an inexperienced triathlete can get some workouts in. Thanks!

2009-04-22 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2103341

User image

BA, Ok
Subject: RE: Moving to Tulsa
Can pretty much train outside 8 months out of the year for bike and run.  Lots of gyms with pools, spin classes.  There's a trail system that i believe is about 35 miles long with no streets.
http://www.tulsabicycleclub.com/rides_locator.php
http://www.tatok.com/index.htm
http://www.fleetfeettulsa.com/
2009-04-24 11:27 AM

New user

Tulsa, OK
Welcome to Tulsa.

You will definitely want to get in contact with the Tulsa Area Triathlete club. Good group of people. They have group swims in a 50 mtr pool on Thursdays, and open waters swims on Monday, Summer time. Wednesday night there is a large group ride - this is open to all bikers. Plenty of other bike rides, throughout the week. Though Oklahoma does get some bad press for health there is a very large group of active people here. There are several gyms that have indoor pools, St. Johns, Health Zone, Gold's, Aspen, and of course the YMCA and YWCAs.

Being an East Coast transplant - Tulsa is a great place to live. People are super friendly and the climate is good enought to get outside most of the year. Yeah it does snow but it does not last much more than a couple of days. Summer time highs can get into the 100's but normally mid 90's. Winter avg daytime highs mid 40's. Granted you have heard of Tornadoes. They do exist. I have been here 20 plus years and have not seen one though.
The city is easy to get around, traffic is never an issue.
Tulsa is a great place, just get out and experience it.
2009-04-26 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa

Only bad things about oklahoma/Tulsa....VERY WINDY!! Oh and the only professional anything we have is a basketball team.  Are you going to be living in Tulsa or one of the surrounding cities?  I live in Owasso, which is about 15 miles north of tulsa.  We have a decent size tri group here too.  There are people who just do sprints and there are about 6 of us who are doing IMLouisville this year in the owasso group.

2009-04-26 9:47 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Grew up in Tulsa, still visit family there, but live in the big D now.  If you give it a chance, you will love the town.  Clean, organized.  You can get just about anywhere in town in 30 minutes or less.  In Dallas, it takes 30 minutes to get anywhere.  If you have to get in some "Big City" time, Dallas is only 4 hours away.  During season, there is a tri about every weekend.

Andy

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Tulsa Rss Feed