General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-22 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern California
Subject: Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
Going to be doing this as my first race so I thought I would start the thread. This is in my backyard so it should be fun. Anyone else racing?

2009-04-22 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2103444

Subject: RE: Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
I'm registered also.  I'm going to try and get over to Lake Perris to do the bike route the race will be on.  Probably will go the weekend before the race if you're interested.

I'm also a wine club member at Wiens.
2009-04-22 5:53 PM

DoloresM2 and I are both racing the oly.
2009-04-23 1:47 PM

New user

San Clemente
I'll be there doing the Olympic and my wife is doing the sprint.
Need to ride a few more hills between now and then. I drove the hill portion last week...hmmm, looks like fun.
2009-04-23 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern California

I'm not sure when I will get out there, probably next Sat. May 2nd. I would like to ride the bike course a few times and atleast ride the run. It has been a while since I have been up there, but I remember the hill is quite fun.

I went out to watch last year and rode the course backwards and hung out on the hill for a while. Hope they don't decide the hill is a good place to give out water again, seem tough to grap water while on the climb. Gonna try to sneak in a swim while I am there too.

Glad to see a Wine Club member doing races, we are an active family with a bunch of us doing Triathlons and Mtn. Bike Racing, we even have jerseys for sale if your interested.

2009-04-23 4:18 PM

An idea... might y'all want to get together at the course for a group ride next weekend?

2009-04-23 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think I might be up for coming out the weekend before...its a good idea actually. I think we can check in that day too at the bike shop.
2009-04-24 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern California

The bike shop is a good distance away in OC, here is a map between the two.

A morning trip then off to pre-reg is probably the best idea. I would like to get a swim in and then ride the bike and run course. Not sure how the swimming will work, there is a swim beach, but it may be small or not open. I just want to try out the new suit. I will probably extend the ride to be somewhere around 3.5 hours to get my miles in for the week, though it will be at an easier pace with it being a recovery week for me. I know some routes in the area that are decent, but it may mean some laps to get the time/distance.

A group ride would be great, I can try to get a decent route planned to extend the ride if anyone wants to do more than the course. No promises on the qulity though, Moreno Valley does not have the best routes and some places can get you minus a bike and money. I lived out there for the last 24 years so I know most of the places to avoid.

Edited by bwiens 2009-04-24 10:47 AM
2009-04-24 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is great!  Thank you so much for the info.  I would be up for a longer ride too. I'll probably need 3 1/2 hours as well.   
2009-04-24 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern California

Here is the bike route map: Big Rock Olympic Bike

Here is a possible route: Moreno Valley 30

2009-04-30 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern California

Looks like rain this Saturday, may want to pre-swim and pre-ride on Sunday instead.

2009-05-01 4:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Weather.com says rain tonight then pm showers tomorrow?  I will be trying to get in a swim at the lake early tomorrow, maybe a bike ride after.  If anyone will be there and you are looking for a swim partner, shoot me a pm.

2009-05-01 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern California

I am going to be out there on Sunday morning around 8am, I can't make it Saturday.  I plan on doing a swim and then some riding. My wife and my sisters boyfriend will also be there, let me know if anyone wants to join in.

2009-05-01 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2124692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
bwiens - 2009-05-01 2:33 PM

Sunday morning around 8am

If I get washed out tomorrow morning I will be looking for ya'.

2009-05-01 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
did this race last yr. well run, great post race BBQ! Also parking is right next to transition which is really nice. Lake Perris is beautiful too... nice port-a-potties as well =)
Swim is easy two loop out and back off the beach. water was warm last yr, didnt use a wetsuit. long transition run back to the bike but it is on grass so not too bad. bike is dead flat except for one nice hill that will get you out of the saddle and is a 2 loop course. all in all it is a super fast bike course. The run is fairly flat except for a few small up and downs in the first couple miles. Still a fast run course.
Best part is the post race BBQ though. Would love to do it again but FL 70.3 takes priority. Sure you will all have a great time!
2009-05-02 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
They need to get rid of that hill at the end of the bike.  Not too bad, short but a bit steep.  The downhill afterwards is good though to get your legs back under you.  The water was very nice.

2009-05-04 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern California

Was out there yesterday and the water was nice, they beach is a bit shelly though. The water was flat at 8:30am even with light boat traffic. It will be a long run from the water to T1. Half sand, half grass.

The bike course is flat except for the hill leading back into the park and a small little climb out of the park. Ramona Expressway has a wide shoulder, but it is full of cracks. Just left of the shoulder line is fairly smooth. One bump at the asphalt/concrete line of a bridge along there to look out for. Perris Blvd is flat, but may be narrow to do passing if they dont cone it off. Also, this was into the wind yesterday making the longest flat straight section slower. Turning onto Iris there is construction that had the road down to barely 1 lane. It may be done by race day though. We just took the entire lane and were fine. Past this Iris becomes a false flat most of the way back with a few little noticable ups. Yesterday there was glass and rocks in the bike lane, again left of the line is the place to be. Vista del Lago is the one hill. It as about .6 miles long and is fairly steep, it gets to about 15% in a few sections. There is a tree on the left side of the road that marks the top of the climb, it is just around the corner once the road turns back towards the right. Down hill from there, easily hitting 35-40 mph if you push a little bit.

The run I think is along the bike path, we rode it and it is basically a rolling course. No hills that were really noticable on the bike, but should make for a nice fartlek workout. I was hoping to run it, but I am having some bad IT band issues that are preventing me from running.

Happy to try and answer any questions about the area, I have lived about 10 miles from the lake for the last 24 years.

2009-05-05 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2128438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
bwiens - 2009-05-04 8:55 AM

Was out there yesterday and the water was nice, they beach is a bit shelly though. The water was flat at 8:30am even with light boat traffic. It will be a long run from the water to T1. Half sand, half grass.

The bike course is flat except for the hill leading back into the park and a small little climb out of the park. Ramona Expressway has a wide shoulder, but it is full of cracks. Just left of the shoulder line is fairly smooth. One bump at the asphalt/concrete line of a bridge along there to look out for. Perris Blvd is flat, but may be narrow to do passing if they dont cone it off. Also, this was into the wind yesterday making the longest flat straight section slower. Turning onto Iris there is construction that had the road down to barely 1 lane. It may be done by race day though. We just took the entire lane and were fine. Past this Iris becomes a false flat most of the way back with a few little noticable ups. Yesterday there was glass and rocks in the bike lane, again left of the line is the place to be. Vista del Lago is the one hill. It as about .6 miles long and is fairly steep, it gets to about 15% in a few sections. There is a tree on the left side of the road that marks the top of the climb, it is just around the corner once the road turns back towards the right. Down hill from there, easily hitting 35-40 mph if you push a little bit.

The run I think is along the bike path, we rode it and it is basically a rolling course. No hills that were really noticable on the bike, but should make for a nice fartlek workout. I was hoping to run it, but I am having some bad IT band issues that are preventing me from running.

Happy to try and answer any questions about the area, I have lived about 10 miles from the lake for the last 24 years.

x2, this is an excellent review of the bike course, especially if you can't/didn't get out there to check it out for yourself.

2009-05-08 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
See you out there tomorrow...I wear the LATC kit.   Have a good race. Hope we get to meet!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed