General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 30s
Overall Rank = 546/585
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up. Forgot nutrition at home. Ate hotel food. Had a bit of Red Bull. (mistake!) Had packed everything the night before so just got the hubby up and showered and out the door.

Event warmup:

Stretched- not enough. Didn't manage my pre-event time well. I didn't do a warm up run, ride or swim. D'HO!

Spent time on the pool deck w/ fellow BTers not listening to the RD sound like an adult from Charlie Brown through the loud speaker. What else is there besides put timing chip on and s/b/r?

Ate a chocolate GU. For the record I puffy heart GU, esp the chocolate. I feel like I'm cheating on my diet when I eat one.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 437 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Pool was heaven to a swimmer. Water was cool. Flip turns were almost imposable due to ppl crowding the wall. Many people didn't seed themselves well for the swim- several people doing breast stroke and taking up lane space.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I realized today that the swim doesn't matter and perhaps I should save myself for the bike. I also think that I over train the swim because I like to swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I ran out from the pool to T1. Didn't really have my order down pat. I wasn't prepared for the cold- and I put my sunglasses on first and they fogged up so I couldn't see what I was doing. D'OH!

Perhaps I should practice my T1 before my next race? Um, yeah.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12.74 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, so I have only logged 134 miles total on my bike. I'm new to biking and it still scares the piss out of me. I need to watch more videos on BT and really learn how to ride. Other wise I'm just an over weight, middle aged, fat kid on two wheels.

This is what was going on in my mind during the bike (in no particular order):
"Old, Fat & Stupid"
"I'm not gonna finish"
"I'm gonna die" (that was the hair pin turn)
"Oh look there's a cow/horse/sheep"
"Thank you MU students for cheering me on"
"I wonder what the cops think of ppl in spandex?"
"I can't believe I'm walking up another hill"
"PACE BOOTY!!!! Wait....can't...keep...up...."
"Wave to the spectators or they will think you are a snob"
"I'M GONNA DIE!!!!! (that was the down hill parts)"
"omgomgomgomg I'm done?!?!?"

I just need to get more time in the saddle. The only way to get better at climbing hills is climbing hills.

I normally run between 16-18 mph in training. I was lucky to push 15mph and slowed down to 8 and 6 on the steep hills. D'OH!
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

My brain was so numb at this point that there was no thinking....just falling on my ass trying to rack my bike, not tip anyone else's bike over and get my shoes on.

I need to get a game plan in place before I enter T2....but maybe this is how it is? IDK.
Run
  • 40m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Yay. What can I say about my run? I got off the bike, felt ok. Ran past David Tri's and maybe Brut?. Was surprised to see them finished and cooled down and thought "Hmmm, maybe I should get my self in gear here?". Oops. Both calves tightened up so hard that I almost fell over. I wasn't prepared for the sensation. I had to stop and stretch out several times. It wasn't until I could hang off one of the many step up/step downs on the course that I felt ok. I did walk a bit here and there but it just made me more frustrated cause I turned into the fat kid that everyone felt they had to encourage. Ugh. I hated that and I'm still frustrated now as I sit here and type my report.

The final mile was ok- everything was looking up. I was perturbed by the number of people who had on ipods (thought that was against the rules) and really wished I had my War Zone cd to run to. (*cough cough* and Lady GaGa)

Coming into the shoot I again saw David Tris and Brue (or was it bananatoes? Crap I can't remember) and David slapped me a high 5- it was what I needed to finish strong. I let the fast twitch take over and I sprinted through the chute and over the finish line....I think I avoided knocking down several people. UGH! Catch the athlete and get the FRACK out of the way! I am always amazed that slow twitch ppl can just come to a dead stop after a race. If I don't keep moving I'll puke.

I need to run more. I skipped quite a few run days in my training plan and paid for it in tears afterward. No more crying out of frustration. The next time a tri makes me cry it will be because I broke a bone.
Post race
Warm down:

I feel kinda bad cause the MU student had to race me down at the back half of the chute to give me my water. Held my hand back like I was getting a baton- she must of known cause a second later I had a water bottle in my hand.

Coming down from a sprint takes some time- I have to keep walking about or I'll freeze up. My poor husband was trying to talk to me but I couldn't talk yet so I kept walking and waving him off. After a 5 min or so cool down (srsly I have no clue, it just felt like a while. I had NO concept of time the entire day) I got my bag o' fud and chomped on an apple.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gee. Lack of training where it mattered and this extra 30 lbs I'm dragging around.

I also didn't have the soul of a warrior today. I was too worried about this being my first race...and while I enjoyed having my husband at the race to take pics and get stuff from the car, I found myself to be managing not only my first tri but his tri experience. He can watch me again at the end of the season when I have this whole thing down and take fab-u-less pics of me (and get complete strangers to yell my name, cheering for me- thanks honey!) then. Until then I need to focus on my game.

Event comments:

My favorite song to run to is War Zone by Rob Zombie. "In the War Zone I stand alone/ In the War Zone I die alone "

Brut said it best at lunch, "Run your own race". Today was about finding my own way. I was frustrated at my performance but I'm happy that I finished. I thought I would do better but I learned the hard way.

I am looking forward to racing this race next year. Today it won and I just tried to not DNF.

I will say I am frustrated by the timing company- for some reason even though there was only ONE Athena category to register in, the results had me listed as Athena4XL. Quite frustrating on several levels since I have no swim, T1 or bike times AND I finished last in my category. If I was in the regular Athenas I would not have finished last- BOP but not last. The shit was bananas.

Blah. I just ran and now I'm hungry and cranky. Fud now pls!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-11-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 437 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/585
Performance: Good
NO CLUE FOR TIME! THANKS SPEEDY FEET! GREAT FRACKIN JOB MESSING UP MY FIRST TRI! Srsly, where *is* the red font?!?!
Suit: Super Suit!
Course: 8 lane 50 M pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 12.74 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: FRACKIN' HILLS! 3/4 of the course was uphill. 1/8th was sharp turns (with gravel- Woo!) and 1/8 was blissfully downhill into T2. My bike computer has me going 34mph down the last big hill. Someone's sig says it best: Alone you are an athlete. On your bike you are a rocket.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:30 | 03.11 miles | 13m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
I run a 12 min mile so I was disappointed here.
Course: Running through campus with a bunch of skinny, tan, tiny co-eds. Fab-u-lous. Just the thing for my low self-esteem at that point.
Keeping cool Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-22 7:54 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2009-04-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2103965

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!

You probably were riding 20+ miles per hour.  (hey if there are no official times - make up a good one)
2009-04-22 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
I had a feeling your RR would crack me up and you didn't disappoint.  I loved, loved, LOVED the thoughts in no particular order on the bike.  ROTFLMAO!!!  Man, I really hated that bike course!

I completely agree that just completely sucks about not getting your times - especially on your very first tri!  Grrrr.

You've definitely got a lot of great experience to take to Tri for the Cure now.  I promise, THAT race - will seem like a piece of cake after this one, especially on the bike.

Congratulations on finishing your first tri, Kate!!!!  It was also great to finally meet you and we'll definitely have to ride the Cure course some weekend beforehand.
2009-04-22 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2104033

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
bruehoyt - 2009-04-22 9:26 PM GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!

You probably were riding 20+ miles per hour.  (hey if there are no official times - make up a good one)

Ha ha!  Good one, Brue!
2009-04-24 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Ohio
Great Race Kate! Your RR was the most entertaining one I've read so far. You put in the time, you finished (strong, I might add. You nearly knocked me over when you gave me that high 5 right before finishing.), you area triathlete.

You live through your first race and for your next one. Great job.
2009-05-01 12:24 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
Well as of TODAY i'm out of 549 out of 588.

I have mixed feelings about this race.....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed