General Discussion Race Reports! » Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newport Beach, California
United States
Humanrace
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 29s
Overall Rank = 534/748
Age Group = m45-49
Age Group Rank = 41/44
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 4:40. Peanut butter & banana for breakfast, Muscle Milk bar & coffee on the way.

Got to the site about 5:40 and waited about 20 minutes in line to get into the parking lot. Finally got in & set up my transition.
Event warmup:

Ran a little bit, and found the "secret potty" at the Newport Dunes pool. Got into my wetsuit, did a little bit of swimming. Water temp was really pretty pleasant, and high tide made getting out of the water a lot easier.
Swim
  • 17m 50s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water felt great, and tide was high so not too mucky. Had a good swim, felt good the whole way and better getting out of the water than usual. It did get a little crowded around the buoys. No trouble sighting except for the one leg we were swimming straight into the sun.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Had a bit of trouble getting my wetsuit off my ankle--mostly getting it over the chip strap.

Still putting my bike shoes on in transition and running in them to the mount line. I've tried getting into bike shoes while riding a couple of times in training, just can't get the hang of it and it doesn't seem worth it.

Racked my bike differently this time, put the front of the seat over the rack with the front wheel pointing out rahter than by the brake levers. Seemed to work OK, except that I had to pass the seat under the rack and it barely cleared.
What would you do differently?:

Work more on getting wetsuit off quickly. Maybe think about just taking the chip off, wetsuit off and then chip back on--would probably still be quicker than struggling with it.

Maybe try seat over rack, back wheel out next time.
Bike
  • 49m 13s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike, felt like I worked it pretty hard. I knew the course pretty well, and felt like I was able to attack the steep section pretty effectively--stood up and stayed in the big ring. It did get a bit dicey the second time up the steep bit when a bunch of faster guys decided that they needed to dodge through the crowd--one of them very nearly clipped my front wheel. Thanks, guys...

More bike intervals--been doing them in training and it seems to be paying off.
Transition 2
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Although I can't get into my shoes on the bike and am not comfortable with a flying dismount, I did take my feet out of my shoes as I came into the bike finish and dismounted normally. Been practicing that, and it worked fine. A little Bodyglide inside the heels helped in slipping out of the shoes.

Tried to re-rack the way I'd originally racked my bike, but it was kind of crowded so wound up just hanging it by the brake levers.

Guy across from me racked his bike right on top of my stuff, scattered some of it so I had to reach underneath his bike to get at my shoes and hunt around a bit for my socks.

Maybe stage my run stuff a little further from the rack, so it's easier to get at.
Run
  • 32m 36s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Slow. A little bit gassed, and kind of funny stomach. I had about half a bottle of watered-down Gatorade on the bike leg, and I think I didn't water it down quite enough. Going up the hill to the turnaround was a b*tch, but coming back down was good. And I did finish fairly stong.

Better drink mix ratio on the bike leg, and do more tempo runs & interval runs. Most of my run training lately has been either long & slow, or doing sand dune hill climbs. Both have been pretty good for endurance but I don't think they're helping speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around the finish line a little bit, but it was starting to get pretty hot. Grabbed a water at the finish line, and after walking around a bit went over to the expo area and got a banana and a cup of Gatorade.

As I was packing up my bag, I discovered that I'd lost my RoadID wristband. I remember it feeling a little bit loose on the swim, so I'm pretty sure that's when it came off. I had a hope that maybe I'd lost it on the beach when I took off my wetsuit top, but I took a look, didn't see it, and I'm sure if somebody found it they'd have called one of the contact numbers on it. New one on order, and lesson learned for next time--RoadID goes UNDER wetsuit sleeve.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just more training, especially on run speed. Compared to last year, lots faster swim & bike, a bit slower transitions and lot slower run. Overall about 40 sec faster, so hey, PR'd this course for the third year in a row!

Last updated: 2009-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:50 | 880 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/44
Overall: 0/748
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Rectangle around Back Bay.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:13 | 15 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:36 | 03 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-23 12:07 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon Rss Feed