General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with a jogging stroller Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-07 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Running with a jogging stroller
I went for my first run last weekend with our jogging stroller. A lot of fun to be with the daughter, but it was difficult to keep a good rythm. I was having problems with keeping my hands on the stroller. Its a good way to realize the purpose of swinging your arms when you run.

I want to keep running with the stroller, but the jog seems more difficult and less enjoyable.

How do you deal with this?

Patrick

2005-04-07 1:44 PM
in reply to: #139429

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: Running with a jogging stroller
Arh, yes, I also discovered how much I use my arms with the natural swing, with the jogger it is basically imposible to do that. I have two young kids, a double stroller and a dog I often run with and at times I can`t belive what it must look like.
Firstly,do you use the strap that attaches you and the stroller to each other? I always never run with out attaching that to myself, should I fall over I don`t want the kids to keep going without me especially if you are anywhere near traffic.
Secondly, I have found running with my gang has formed a great base for my running, it forces me to run at a slow (9m/m) steady pace. My kids last only about 40 min in it before starting to tear each others hair out, so I only get a few miles in( even with snacks/drinks). But, then when I do get to run out by myself I find my pace picks up without even trying, my legs have bennifited big time and have become much stronger.
Alot of us parents make the jogger look easy, but for anyone who has never run with kids in one they have no idea how hard it can be, especially in gusty weather. Make sure you are not leaning on the handle bar because that will make it more difficult. You will find your rythm with it, keep using it, the more you run with it the easier it will become. I love mine and don`t know where I would be without it.
have fun,
2005-04-07 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
I wasn't using a strap since I was on a closed circuit that is totally flat. But I will buy one since I intend to use it more often, and in busier places.

I had a tendency to lean on it. I have to be careful to that.

I ran for 40 minutes. My daughter (who doesn't like naps in the afternoon), fell asleep, which was great.

I am slowly starting to shop for a double, since the family will grow in October.
2005-04-07 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Forgot to ask, do you still swing one arm while running? Or do you keep both hands on the handle bar.
2005-04-07 2:29 PM
in reply to: #139468

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I attach the strap and push with one hand. You can steer just by moving your hand along the bar. If I have room I'm usually running out to the side of the jogger and pushing it with a few fingers of one hand.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with a jogging stroller Rss Feed