General Discussion Race Reports! » Florida Atlantic University Wellness Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Florida Atlantic University Wellness Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boca Raton, Florida
United States
Florida Atlantic University
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 5s
Overall Rank = 186/790
Age Group = Faculty/Staff
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Amen I had everything prepared night before and ready to go. I set the alarm for 4am and well, hit off vs. snooze. by some miracle, I wake up @ 5:30am and since race was only 30 minutes away, just bolted out the door grabbing banana/Clif bar and a gatorade. Not exactly great start to the day:)
Event warmup:

Well, just enough time to check in (of course I did not pick up packet day before), get body marked and hit the bathroom. I was not off until last wave so knew once I got set up I had time. Walked down to the beach and first wave was taking off. So I ran up the beach 1/4 mile or so and tried to get a few strokes in, but rough water in close was not fun.
Swim
  • 09m 15s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had not done OWS in FOREVER so knew that when there was a chop and decent waves (for Florida) I was in trouble. But I was pretty relaxed at start and just tried to get through it. Made it to first buoy pretty quick since I ran in further than some who started to swim in skinny water. Then this racer blocked the whole turn and was verticle just treading water? Then pack caught up and it seemed like I was getting passed by a lot of folks. Lesson #1: practive bilateral breathing. Breathing to my right caused about 1/2 gallon of salt water consumption during the swim! Just swam through it knowing I never had good rythym and was being passed by plenty. More body contact than I could ever remember, but I am sure the rough water had something to do with it. Never able to draft and came into beach feeling defeated. Oh well, HTFU and move on.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to breath on left side for this exact reason described. Probably would have saved me 45-90 seconds. That plus of course practice OWS!
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Well problem with last wave was that it was a melting pot of clydes, fat tire, faculty/staff you name it. All great people, but made the transition area a free for all. Anyway, got to my bike and sun glasses were not on my helmet. Looked on the ground and nowhere. Wasted 5-10 seconds and gave up. Helmet on easy, ran with bike, across the mat and ready to jump on... Then 2 people stop to get on right on mounting line blocking everyone. There goes flying mount I practiced and shrugged it off. Shoes already on Bike so had real easy time getting feet in, ready to ride.

Not much, maybe tape glasses to bike? still had pretty decent T1 time, 2nd in division.
Bike
  • 28m 16s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I would be close to 22-23 mph, but legs said otherwise + slight headwind humbled it down to 21 or so. Advantage of late wave, passed a lot of people. Caught up with most of the folks who tosted me in water, but obviously not all. Still, good ride and just need to work on pushing bigger gear. At the dismount area I had good form with feet out of shoes and ready to start running. Then again folks stopped in front of transition entrence. I know this was "for fun" race, but nobody there to advice these people? Could have been dangerous.

Train harder and get more outside rides in. 90% of training was on trainer. It helped, but no replacement for real thing IMHO. It was fastest bike avg. I have had in race, but easy course could/should have been faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Good dismount and after log jam at T2 area, racked bike quickly and put shoes on. Then saw my sunglasses under someone's wetsuite minus a lens so again no glasses. Oh well, grabbed race belt and visor then off...

Glasses in better spot more secure? Otherwise SOCKS or at least vaseline etc.
Run
  • 24m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started slow and took about a mile to get back to form. 2nd mile faster than 1st and 3rd faster yet. That was promising. Passed folks most of the time and had a few get by as well. At the end though, still felt fine and relly not too winded???

Practice a few bricks on regular basis! Could have gone harder or had late push looking back.
Post race
Warm down:

Really not too bad after, maybe thinking about Olympic this weekend in conserving reserves:) Grabbed a water and met up with friends and hunf out for about 45 minutes then packed up transition etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. the swim and bike are areas needing focus and just need to build form on the swim and strength on the Bike to up mph avg. A lot of 1st timers in this race and that is overall positive, but it did slow me down being in last wave on more than one ocassion. But I am pretty laid back and since I was not out there for podium spot, just went with it.

Event comments:

Good race as warm up to St. Anthony's. At least more confidence since not racing since November. Plenty more sprints over the summer to get better.

Last updated: 2009-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:15 | 440 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 0/790
Performance: Below average
Suit: N/A
Course: Basic out and down with the current. First buoy was maybe 50 yards and then headed north and back to beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:16 | 10 miles | 21.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Basic up and back with 2 u-turns and back into park for transition areas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:32 | 03.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Performance: Good
Course: Thru the park and onto AIA sidewalk. It is a wide sidewalk, but 800 people made passing a bit of a challenge! Mile markers on the run would be nice. All 5k's have them, why not a lot of the traithlons?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-23 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: Florida Atlantic University Wellness Triathlon

2009-04-24 6:06 AM
in reply to: #2105508

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: Florida Atlantic University Wellness Triathlon

Congrats....Great Race....even all the circunstances!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Florida Atlantic University Wellness Triathlon Rss Feed