General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sigh, could really use a little support right now... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-04-26 5:34 AM
in reply to: #2109606

Master
STL
Subject: RE: Sigh, could really use a little support right now...
that should make you want to do it even more. Don't let him discourage you. Years before I started tri's, I mentioned to a (then current) boyfrriend, I'd like to do that triathon thing. I'll never forget the look he gave me and he said "you couldn't do that". Last season, I got 3rd place female in that very race I was referring to. He doesn't know, but I still feel it's a kick in the face to him, which he deserves more than once!

2009-04-26 5:46 AM

User image

On your right

I agree with what everyone has said before.  When I announced to my wife around the end of February that I was thinking about doing a Tri, she laughed, and asked why.  It wasn't an unreasonable response from her though.  I had been thoroughly unmotivated for a few years, let my weight creep back up to 297, and only been going to the gym regularly for about 2 weeks.  She didn't tell me I was dumb for wanting to, or that I'd be terrible though.  She just thought it was funny that I was trying to be Mr Fitness® all of a sudden.

Since that point, I'm down about 35 lbs, I can jog a few miles at a time (up from 0) and I don't get out of breath walking up the stairs.  I'm really looking forward to my race this summer, and next year I plan to do more (my schedule is just nasty for being able to race, so I couldn't justify requesting a lot of vacation time before I did at least 1 race). 

But I also know where your brother is coming from.  Misery loves company.  It makes you feel bad when someone you're close to makes a positive change in their life, and you're still stuck not making the change.  As a football player (o and d line), I was always jealous of my skinny cousins being good at baseball and able to play basketball all day long.  I needed to take a lot of breaks because I couldn't keep up, and I got resentful towards them.  Maybe before you use his attitude as your motivation, you could ask him if he wants to race with you, and start training with you.  It's likely he'll say no if he's a jerk, but maybe he'll say yes, and you two can have some good times working out and hitting mile stones together.

[/way too long post]

Good luck, and enjoy.

2009-04-26 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
If I can do it you can do it!  It's mind and heart, and you have them both.  You have to start somewhere, do one, and then you will be bitten!  Watch some YOUTUBE IRONMAN videos, you will get pumped and run out the door, knock it off the hinges, and run for 10 miles......  JUST DO IT!
2009-04-26 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

What do you call the person who finishes last at a triathlon?

A triathlete!

This site is filled with people that were, at one time, way out of shape and decided to turn their lives around. One thing you will learn from this site is that nothing is impossible and that you can do anything you set your mind to.

2009-04-26 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I've ready most of the thread, and can't think of much to add that hasn't been said already. The fact that you're looking for support on a forum tells me that you really do want to race, but just need some reassurance that your brother is being a serious stick in the mud.

Do it for yourself, no one else. Who cares if you come in last... as long as you don't make it your last race after that. You'll improve, and best of all, you'll be surrounded by people who have been through the exact same situation, and will give you the support you need to keep doing it.

Maybe your brother should watch from the sidelines... it's easy to drag someone down on the couch, but it's hard not to root for someone during the course of a race. Who knows, maybe your brother will think, 'well, hell, if he can do it, so can I." Of course, I don't know your brother, so maybe he should be left at home with some pizza and chicken wings to occupy him and not distract you.

Edited by InsainoDwayno 2009-04-26 8:13 AM
2009-04-26 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2110677

User image

Elite
Denver

Chaderbox - 2009-04-26 5:46 AM

I agree with what everyone has said before.  When I announced to my wife around the end of February that I was thinking about doing a Tri, she laughed, and asked why.  It wasn't an unreasonable response from her though.  I had been thoroughly unmotivated for a few years, let my weight creep back up to 297, and only been going to the gym regularly for about 2 weeks.  She didn't tell me I was dumb for wanting to, or that I'd be terrible though.  She just thought it was funny that I was trying to be Mr Fitness® all of a sudden.

Since that point, I'm down about 35 lbs, I can jog a few miles at a time (up from 0) and I don't get out of breath walking up the stairs.  I'm really looking forward to my race this summer, and next year I plan to do more (my schedule is just nasty for being able to race, so I couldn't justify requesting a lot of vacation time before I did at least 1 race). 

But I also know where your brother is coming from.  Misery loves company.  It makes you feel bad when someone you're close to makes a positive change in their life, and you're still stuck not making the change.  As a football player (o and d line), I was always jealous of my skinny cousins being good at baseball and able to play basketball all day long.  I needed to take a lot of breaks because I couldn't keep up, and I got resentful towards them.  Maybe before you use his attitude as your motivation, you could ask him if he wants to race with you, and start training with you.  It's likely he'll say no if he's a jerk, but maybe he'll say yes, and you two can have some good times working out and hitting mile stones together.

[/way too long post]

Good luck, and enjoy.

This is why we do tri's, too!

2009-04-26 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
Absolutely don't worry about what anyone who has no desire to do a triathlon says. My HUSBAND is the same way. He wants to come watch me not to be supportive but because he doesn't think I'll finish, thanks honey. Since I've started training I've lost 33lbs, feel great and have to be moving all the time. My kids will stop playing video games to come ride their bikes with me while I run. I was incredibly nervous when I first started training and signed up for my first race. Now it's not a question of can I finish it's only how long will it take.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Don't let anyone ever tell you you can't.

2009-04-26 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
lgraham23 - 2009-04-25 7:55 AM Wow, guys, I haven't even started training for a week yet and I'm really frustrated. I told my brother one night that I want to train for a triathlon to get in shape and maybe I'll do one. He tells me "Why? you can't swim and you don't run far or bike fast. Besides, you don't have any of the gear everyone else will have and most of them have been doing this for years. What's the point in signing up if you're going to lose, and really bad at that?" I haven't even signed up; I'm nowhere near ready to do that yet. But it's a little unmotivating when I know I'm pretty much going to be last place and my family doesn't even support my efforts.

Bah. Kick your brother in the junk. 99% of us aren't gunning for podiums. We're doing it to improve ourselves, have fun, do something challenging and drink together afterwards!

Even the racing, it's not about the medals. I have literally boxes of ribbons, medals and trophies from 38 years of competing in various sports. With maybe 3 exceptions, I couldn't tell you anything about the race/event, but I can tell you about my teammates, training partners, etc.

It's the journey. :D

Did I mention kick your brother in the junk?

John
2009-04-26 10:09 PM

User image

The Desert, California
Think of it this way...

You and your brother are both a Homer Simpson.

But you are the Homer from the ApplePower Bar episode and want to climb a mountain.

And he is the Homer who is wearing a moo moo, who is about to start eating playdoo to gain more weight.

Or if you aren't a Simpsons fan...

No one starts out being fast. When do you ever step into something and are number one.  It takes work and if you show dedication, it just may spark his interest and BAM! a new training partner. 

Stay positive.

2009-04-27 3:10 AM

And...one more thing that should clinch it for you.

Go to youtube and search "Team Hoyt"

Then tell me you give two craps what your brother says.

Todd -  San Diego
btw= great thread!! 

2009-04-28 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
He's just jealous and worried you'll look like a stud (for taking on the training and doing it; not because of expectations about how you'll place) and he'll suffer by comparison.  Tell him you're making the commitment for yourself, your health, self-esteem, etc. and he can either put up or shut up.  Any by the way, no matter where you finish, you're going to be surrounded by people cheering you on, encouraging you and congratulating you . . . not a crowd of brother-clone-naysayers.

2009-04-28 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I think you should do it for yourself first and foremost.  If you can prove some other people wrong along the way that is always fun too.  Pick a race that is a little bit down the road (later this year) you can use the races tab at the top of this page.  Sign up and pay the entry fee which will be the first commitment to yourself that you are going to do this.  Start training using a plan on here or through your local triathlon community or through talking to people on here.  When I started this venture last year I just started running, and then I added biking and swimming.  I really didn't have a clue what I was doing but I just started logging the hours and improvement comes pretty quickly in the beginning.  Take it slow and bite off small chunks at a time.  I'm not sure what your current fitness levels are, but do what is right for you. (ex. if you can run 5 minutes straight, then start there and add on a couple of minutes each time)  This is how I started with all 3 sports.  I could run about a quarter mile, bike a few miles, and swim about 50 yards.  Just get out there and start doing it and use the people on this site as resources.  Everyone is very friendly, has different experience levels, and is more than willing to help.  I wish you good luck on your adventure and I hope you decide to pursue it.  It is a great sport that offers a lot to the people who choose to be a part of it.
2009-04-28 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
One of the biggest challenges, IMO, is breaking the mental barrier that stands between what you think you can do and what your body can actually accomplish.  I guarantee you that you are capable of doing way more than you ever imagined possible.  The potential is there. You just have to believe in yourself, even if nobody else does.

Select one of the training plans here on BT and have at it.  Good luck to you.
2009-04-28 12:02 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

What are you waiting for?! Get on with your trianing and your first tri, d00d!

2009-04-28 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2109693

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
stupidnickname - 2009-04-25 10:17 AM

Around here, we say that DFL > DNS, or Dead Flocking Last is better than Did Not Start.

I like to take this one step further:

DFL > DNS > DNT (Did Not Try)

I believe your brother gets the "Fail" of the day on this one.

Do It
2009-04-28 3:18 PM

Regular
Germantown, TN

I wanted to echo what a couple people have already said here - use the logs.  I will never win any races and will likely never do better than MOP in my age group.  However, I get the satisfaction from racing against myself and seeing the improvement in my own times.  By logging your workouts (at least time and distance) you will be able to see that today I ran faster than last week or cycled further. 

Good Luck!

2009-04-28 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2109746

User image

Expert
gearboy - 2009-04-25 12:51 PM

OK, so you come in waaaaay behind everyone else.  DFL, and feeling it.

At the end of that day, you can still go to your brother and say: "I did a triathlon today.  What did YOU do today?"

Exactly! I did 5 races last year, was 11/12 AG in my first race and MOP the other 4. Yet I felt like STUD TRIATHLETE. I didn't care what anyone else thought. The people who told me I couldn't do it b/c of crazy schedule with work, kids..etc were my favorite ones to be able to say "yes I did it" when asked. The sense of accomplishment from putting the training in and finishing 5 tri's was great. I've been off the site for probably 4 months with job change and I miss posts like this one. They are motivating. A knee injury has been keeping me from training and i have been feeling sorry for myself.. I am now pain free and ready to train for some Fall races.....To the OP, keep posts like this from gearboy and picture yourself saying just what he posted to your brother who has a case of TRI-ENVY.
2009-04-28 9:33 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
So, did this lgraham23 person ever come back and see all the replies to the original email? I'd hate to think all this motivation would miss the intended target . . .

Perhaps someone should send a message to their non-BT email. [email protected]
2009-04-29 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2117248

I don't know if the OP saw the responses, but they certainly have been motivating for me!  I signed up for two sprint tri's this year (mainly to force myself into training), the first of which is on May 31st.  I'm 5'2", 240 lbs and slow as molasses.  My biggest concern is that I won't be allowed to finish because I will likely get back to the transition area well over an hour after the posted close time.  But I have two friends doing the same race and the run is mostly on a public road, so I figure if I have to drop my bike at the park entrance and time myself with my trusty lap watch, so be it.  I will still have "gone the distance". 

I've also gotten "the look" from some of my co-workers, who have been very supportive, but you can tell by the looks on their faces that they think I'm completely crazy for attempting this.  I'm using that as motivation to get out and do it.

2009-04-29 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2116436

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
drickamer - 2009-04-28 4:18 PM

I wanted to echo what a couple people have already said here - use the logs.  I will never win any races and will likely never do better than MOP in my age group.  However, I get the satisfaction from racing against myself and seeing the improvement in my own times.  By logging your workouts (at least time and distance) you will be able to see that today I ran faster than last week or cycled further. 

Good Luck!

x2!  I slacked off on the running all winter, and my times showed it.  Yet when I looked at my last log, I saw my per mile time improved just over this month, even when I felt I was moving slower than before. 
2009-04-29 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Agree big time on the logs.  It will keep you motivated.  I'm probably overly motivated and I wish I had more time to train.  For me, it's not even just about the races, I'm addicted to training and try to get something in whenever I can now.
Once you start reviewing your logs, you'll want to improve.  Also, if you want some quick motivation go to youtube and type in ironman or triathlon and start watching some of the inspirational videos.  Once you get going, it will become a way of life.  I've only been training a few months now and have changed everything about the way I used to workout and am constantly looking forward to my next workout (most of the time

Who cares what anyone else thinks.  Lots of people hear the same stuff..your crazy, oh that doesn't sound too hard (on sprint distances), good for you, I could never do that...they are just bystanders.  Don't be a bystander.  Once you start training you'll start meeting new people who are also into it and they will energize you and it will become your new favorite hobby.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sigh, could really use a little support right now... Rss Feed  

of 3