General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 46s
Overall Rank = 29/475
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/49
Pre-race routine:

Early bowl of cereal, nice quiet drive. Left the house at 5am, got to the park in just over an hour so that was perfect. Plenty of time to walk around, get setup, etc.
Event warmup:

swam about 2 minutes to 'test the wetsuit' and breathing since the last swim 2 weeks ago was 58 degrees, brrrr
Swim
  • 10m 16s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

First Open Water swim race so was a little apprehensive at first but after the washing machine for the first 100 meters and finally breaking through to an open area, felt pretty good and smooth. Did take the outside around the buoys though just to stay out of the way. Will take getting used to but happy to have the wetsuit and it only slowed T-1 probably by 10-15 seconds tops.
Overall, felt happy with my first OWS and need to work on the initial sprint to get spacing, started too far in the back of the wave (now I know better)
What would you do differently?:

Get a pair of tinted goggles since rounding the first buoy looked right into the sun, hard to sight so just kept an eye on the guy left and right to keep going straight (hopefully they were tracking straight too)

Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Call me slow in T-1 putting socks on and shoes but after passing 3 guys after the dismount line within the first 300 yards of the bike as they were messing around at 10mph trying to get the feet in the shoes on the slight uphill, I figure the net difference was about even. Plus, I had little risk of crashing myself or others, only risk is slipping while running the shoes...
Suit came off easier than I expected, body glide helped on the outside of the ankle cuff. The swim exit to the T-1 was farther than I expected.

Maybe with practice, I'd change my mind on the shoes debate but since I am not 1st in age group......Also, reading about the time it takes in T-1 for the wetsuit vs not, especially for a Sprint didn't really phase me since I was glad to have the suit for the swim, even though it added about 15 seconds to the T-1, the comfort level and "bouyancy/efficiency" gain for the 10-15 minute swim saved my legs for the bike (maybe it was mental) BodyGlide works wonders
Bike
  • 30m 3s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 22.36 mile/hr
Comments:

First race in a major wave start, other races I've been in were pool swims with waves of 32 so there were definately more bikes on the course that I have been used to. That made for some interesting passing when at one point, 3 guys in what seemed like a pace line came blowing by around mile 5 (although they were spaced legally so I'm not complaining), just wishing I had more aero wheels.... Heart rate spiked around mile 4 but then settled in ok but I definately felt like I pushed harder on the uphills than during training and the overall speed was higher than I expected.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Pretty quick T-2, always easier than T-1, less stuff to worry about. Did take a swig of water from my water bottle, little did I realize (poor planning), there was a water station just as you left T-1.

Run
  • 21m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off a little fast at low 6 pace and that quickly wore off about the half mile mark then never really recovered. At the turnaround, I had a major stomach cramp an considered walking but since the guy in front of me kept going, I figured it's only 10 more minutes...
Then with 200 yards to go, hearing the cowbells was cool and motivating to make the finish.
Overall, felt ok with the run now that I see the time on the bike, think I used up a little but a 7 minute pace run for my 5K is about right so I'm happy.

The 10-15 minute transition runs after a 60-90 minute bike ride has made a big difference in the feeling in the legs (tightness). Either it is going away or I am just getting used to it. Keep up those about every 2 weeks.
Post race
Warm down:

None really, just walked back to watch and cheer other racers into the finish.

Event comments:

My first OWS race plus the Tri-series. Definately organized with plenty of friendly volunteers.
Will be on my list of preferred races next year, great facilities, never saw a line for the bathrooms (how odd is that) and the overall vibe was pretty cool. Although there were a lot of fast times and racers, there was a great mix of first timers/newbies which kept this a fun race and overall feel.

Last updated: 2009-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:16 | 656 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/49
Overall: 49/475
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Triangle 600 meter swim Water was 72 degrees so wetsuit legal. Seemed to be maybe 50/50 wetsuit vs not. Was warm enough for not needing one.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:03 | 11.2 miles | 22.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/49
Overall: 0/475
Wind: None
Course: Slight uphill coming out the park followed by 4 miles of fast downhill with some slight rollers. Mile 6-9 was the gradual climb back up to the park. Cornering was 3 >90degree right turns, traffic blocked. Carrying momentum was not a good idea because of the sharp corners, definately had to be cautious. The race director did mention this in the pre-race stuff too (THANKS!) Overall though, little car traffic and surface was smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:17 | 03.1 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/49
Overall: 0/475
Course: The first mile was flat around the lake was perfect for getting the tightness out of the legs, little did I know that there would be the rolling hills for the rest of the course. So first mile asphalt path, then a dirt road for about 1/4 mile then paved road with rollers til the turnaround.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-25 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2009-04-25 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2110557

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
Great job, dude. Smokin' fast.
God, get you some aero wheels quick and you'll be a rocket!

2009-04-26 5:26 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Blistering fast for someone new to the game! Just speedy all the way around...

Congrats on your day!
2009-04-26 7:14 AM

Atlanta, Ga
Nice race and really fast for a 1st time.. great work!!
2009-04-26 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2110666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Hey, thanks for the encouragement, No HIM's in my near future though since I am still just a sprinter, I'm gonna give the Oly distance a shot this summer, let's see how that goes.  This is fun stuff.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed