General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 44s
Overall Rank = 238/534
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 10/22
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4AM and headed to meet Neal (Phelps) at 4:30 for our 90 minute drive to John Tanner Park. Arrived about 10 minutes before park opened and get the best spot on bike rack. Ate oatmeal and bagel with PB on the way..also had some coffee. Had gel 20 minutes before swim start.
Event warmup:

Ran about a mile at a decent pace and the swam couple hundred meters in wetsuit before swim. Tried to stretch calf a bit....having lots of issues with PF so calf stretching is a must.
Swim
  • 14m 26s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was not too bad. Swimming is definitely not my strong suit so it si what it is. I had my first lesson with a good swim coach and found out my swim is seriously screwed up. Good news is that it is correctable but it is going to take time. Apparently I lift my head a lot when I go to breath and this causes a weird contortion in my body....supposed to stay in a striaght line and I am FAR from it. Sighting was good and I was never really out of breath. I did not try to go too too fast as I knew that it would make my HR go sky high. Walked up to transition...lost some time doing this.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get my swim technique improved and then my times will improve. Happy with effort.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

T1 was ok.....getting better.

Just get faster - need to actually practice this a bit more.
Bike
  • 35m 1s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew that I was going to have a tough run due to my planata fasciitis so I decided to just push as much as I could on bike and just see what would happen. I was not at a redline effort but I was pushing pretty hard. Stayed in aero more than any other race. Previous two races this year were under 17 mph avg but were much longer distances. Happy overall.

Nothing..plan was to to go hard and hang on during run.
Transition 2
  • 55m 46s
Comments:

Good T2 for me. Attending the TA clinic with Dan Arnett at A3S this week was very helpful.

Just get a little faster. Practice coming in riding with feet on top of shoes.
Run
  • 27m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a very good run but I somewhat expected this coming in. I have not had very much run training as of late with my PF so I knew this was going to be slow. Came off the bike and out of T2 with a really high HR and never could get it down which I would never be able to get a good speed or pace going. Just kind of shuffled along and finished with a good kick after hearing good support from people at the finish...I had my BT race gear on - the cheers made me sprint hard at the end.

I need to get control of my heel pain and am working on that daily with ice, stretching and other things. I will get back to better run training once I get pain free.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much cool down except to get some fluids in me and hang out with a couple of folks from the local club - NAMC.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness and swim technique. Will continue to work on these and hopefully will get better.

Event comments:

Fisrt time doing this race series and had a great time. Lots of people there and seemed pretty well organized. Thanks to all that volunteered. Will definitely do again next year,

Last updated: 2009-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:26 | 600 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/22
Overall: 258/534
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Full
Course: Counter Clockwise one loop course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:01 | 11.2 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 211/534
Performance: Good
Average HR was 160 bpm and max was 168 bpm.
Wind: Little
Course: Clockwise one loop course that was fast for first 4 miles or so than had more of an uphill grade til mile 9 or so then leveled out again.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 55:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:06 | 03.1 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 318/534
Performance: Below average
Average HR was 162 bpm and avg was 177 bpm. HR was an issue during this race.
Course: Rolling course on paved trail.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-26 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2009-04-27 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2110912

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
good to meet you on saturday, Brian.  nice job out there.  i need to hook up w/ a swim instructor myself b/c i think i do the same "head up" breathing you were describing.
2009-04-27 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2112435

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

Good job Brian.  I had a good time haning out with you. 

2009-04-27 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2110912

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO

That's a race well done, despite the PF.  Hope that gets better quickly!  I think you said previous two races . . .  That means you have 3 races under your belt by the end of April! I wish I could say the same, it snowed here last night.  Best of luck through the year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed